DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sprint CEO Dan Hesse Says AT&T/T-Mobile Merger "Stifles Innovation" - Will Appeal

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Sprint CEO Dan Hesse Says AT&T/T-Mobile Merger "Stifles Innovation" - Will Appeal

Sprint CEO Dan Hesse has issued further statements regarding the planned merger between AT&T and . His perspective is that the combined company would have "tremendous" power that ultimately would narrow market competition and "stifle innovation". He intends to file an appeal with Congress during the merger proceedings. He also pointed out that if the merger goes through then AT&T/T-Mobile and Verizon will hold 79% of the market, leaving Sprint with even less than ever before chances of competing.

Jim Cicconi, senior executive vice president at AT&T, responded to Hesse’s comments in an e-mailed, “We understand Sprint has concerns, and we’ll be happy to address any they present, whether at the Justice Department, the FCC or the Congress. We feel we have good and compelling answers. And we feel policymakers will readily understand that any company with whom AT&T competes may not be especially positive about anything which makes AT&T a better competitor in the wireless market.”

I can understand why AT&T wants to do this, but it definitely needs to be carefully reviewed, so we don't end up with another giant anti-competitive conglomerate lording over its customers. I remember during the eighties when "Bell" telephone was broken up into AT&T and other smaller "Bells". Eventually, this merger could end up squeezing Sprint out of the business, and that wouldn't be good for Verizon or consumers. What do you guys think?

Source: Android.net via Phandroid and Bloomberg
    Last edited by dgstorm; 03-23-2011 at 12:03 PM.
  2. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    They can appeal all they want....ain't gonna stop it. AT&T knows how to grease the right wheels.

Sent from somewhere...
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    How much of the market is a combined AT & T and T-Mobile as compared to Verizon and Sprint? If it's more than 50%, there is a good chance that the merger will be blocked.

Or at least, it SHOULD be blocked.

When you are talking about the reasons for having anti-trust laws, the critical factor to me are 'barriers to entry'. In other words, the barrier to entry for something like software is relatively low. A handful of dedicated software devs can come up with a whiz bang replacement for any product.

But with a Cell service carrier, we are talking MAJOR infrastructure. For a "start-up" that's a very significant barrier to entry. Which means that if the existing players squeeze each other out -- there is a very poor chance of new players entering the market.

And that's a bad thing because it means less competition. Less competition means less choice for you as a consumer. Fewer choices means less pressure on the providers to offer better services and better prices.

So, at least in my opinion, this might be a very bad thing.
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    motorolla a855
    if sprint wants to compete they should come out with lower prices or better service not begging the government to bring his competition down to there level. they cant compete cuz they suck and rather than inovate they get there government thugs to tear down what anybody better than them. what i want to see is a price war until either the new and improved at&t or verizon gets knocked out and once they start raising prices and lowering service another company steps up and then they get into a price war. i felt the same way as you guys, read atlas shrugged its a great book and it will open your eyes.
  5. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    Sprint's pissy because they got shafted. They were trying to buy Tmobile, and AT&T swooped in a got em.

Sent from somewhere...
  6. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    Tell me why it would stiffle competition if AT&T merges and not Sprint?? No real difference except market share. This put Sprint solidly in third and falling. That all this is about.

Sent from somewhere...
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid1 Droid2 Evo4g
    GOOGLE will be the only phone company in the end. It's just a matter of time.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by jstafford1 View Post
    Tell me why it would stiffle competition if AT&T merges and not Sprint?? No real difference except market share. This put Sprint solidly in third and falling. That all this is about.

Sent from somewhere...
    A Sprint/T-Mobile merger and an ATT/T-Mobile merger are two vastly different scenarios.
  9. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thesandman00 View Post

Sent from somewhere...
    A Sprint/T-Mobile merger and an ATT/T-Mobile merger are two vastly different scenarios.
    Not from a competition stand point. Really its all about market share. Sprint could compete if they wanted. People don't like them for their coverage and customer service the two complaints I hear most.) They have good phones, as we see VZW has the crap phones but better coverage and service. I'm just saying Sprint is tossing out the line about it being bad for competition because they are pissed Tmobile went with AT&T over them.

Sent from somewhere...
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by thesandman00 View Post

Sent from somewhere...
    Not from a competition stand point. Really its all about market share. Sprint could compete if they wanted. People don't like them for their coverage and customer service the two complaints I hear most.) They have good phones, as we see VZW has the crap phones but better coverage and service. I'm just saying Sprint is tossing out the line about it being bad for competition because they are pissed Tmobile went with AT&T over them.

Sent from somewhere...
    I'll give you most of that, yes. But Market Share is a huge component to competition in this case IMO. And it's one less competitor putting pressure on ATT to keep their prices low.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links