DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS to Bring 3D Quad-Core Android Tablets to Market This Year

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    397 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    Quote Originally Posted by HamDog View Post
    It's stuff like this that keeps me away from buying anything right now. Technology is just moving too fast. I think $799 is absolutely ridiculous for a Xoom. And the $539 potential price at Sam's club is still a rip-off since so much stuff is right around the corner, such as this Asus. Personally, I'm waiting for the $300 price range, and I may have to wait a year or two till it gets there.

I'm not sure what they mean by 3D. Does that mean you need special glasses like current 3D TV sets?
    There is always somethign right around the corner. Tech doesn't stop so people can buy and enjoy a product for a while. In fact, no industry does. Buy your product and enjoy it.
    -------------------------------
    HTC One M8
    -------------------------------
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    222 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid3
    It's stuff like this that keeps me away from buying anything right now. Technology is just moving too fast. I think $799 is absolutely ridiculous for a Xoom. And the $539 potential price at Sam's club is still a rip-off since so much stuff is right around the corner, such as this Asus. Personally, I'm waiting for the $300 price range, and I may have to wait a year or two till it gets there.
    Last year I was all but sure that we'd see $300-$400 tablets, based on the reasoning that netbooks run $300, and that's where tablets should be--but thanks to the iPad we'd pay a few extra dollars.

But after CES this year, I don't think $300 will happen this year, next year, or the year after that. There seems to be two reasons. First I keep reading that Apple has cornered the market on components--touchscreens and memory, in particular. Since they've guaranteed purchase of so much of the supply, everyone else (Motorola, Samsung, Asus, etc.) is paying a premium for what's left.

Second, for some strange reason, the better manufacturers are all making what amounts to high-end tablets...dual-core (soon quad), HD displays, all kinds of cell-phone'ish components like GPS and cameras, which means if they keep doing that, we'll NEVER see a $300 netbook price on a tablet.

I hope people like kodiak799 are right, and the trend ends up being short-lived. If the netbook craze lasted 3 or 4 years, I'd be more than happy to see bloated, overpriced tablets at $700-$800 for at least that long. But please not for the long-term future...

-Matt
    Meaning of gadgetrants:
    (1) Goes on rants about gadgets
    (2) Gadgets put him in a trants (er...um, trance)
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOldFart View Post

Face it, no one needs a tablet. They didn't really exist in a big way until a year or so ago and we got along fine without them. If the price is right then a tablet is worth it for the convenient features. It doesn't have the power of a netbook nor the portability of a smartphone. However, a 7 inch tablet is easy to hold, has better resolution than a smartphone and is more portable than a netbook. I personally think that the 7 inch is the best size. As much as I like the XOOM, I think it is too big for what I would use a tablet for. I would like a 7 inch with a 1280 x 800 resolution.
    20 years ago people were saying the exact same thing about cell phones. Who needs them when we already have land lines? We got by just fine without them.

Yeah, tablets are the way of the future. I'd say within 10 years they'll likely have made laptops completely obsolete. Right now, to use a laptop, you basically have to be seated. The tablet eliminates that need. And if you have something big to type up, then just plug in a wireless keyboard using the USB and have at it.

I'm telling you, these things are the way of the future. However, they really aren't worth investing in right now because the technology is so new. 10 years from now, we'll all be wondering how we got by without them.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimers69 View Post
    im not typing papers on a tablet, and some people (older people) can't see on a 10.1 inch tablet. i still want one!
    Face it, no one needs a tablet. They didn't really exist in a big way until a year or so ago and we got along fine without them.
    I don't mean this in offensive way, but that type of thinking is blind to the vision. There is a reason that Google, Microsoft and Apple are fighting so fiercely over this market and it's not because of the way that today's Tablets are used.

Like you said, no one needs a Tablet [u]today[u] but that's very short-sighted.

Envision a scenario where you have one portable "computing" device. When you are on the go traveling, it functions as a cell phone. When you need something a bit bigger, you fit it into the "Tablet" docking and sit on the couch playing video games, surfing the web or reading a book. Then when you need to write that term paper or work on that office presentation, you plug it into a docking station for a big 21" monitor and keyboard.

Although, personally, I think you'll always see the computer/tablet separate from the cell phone. Mainly because if you drop the phone in a toilet, you don't lose all your data.

But even here, you are seeing the trend towards Cloud computing. One device with all your "storage" backed up to the Cloud or some secure location.

Expensive toy or not, the consumer market is headed that direction FAST.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Phone
    Droid X2
    Quote Originally Posted by jodyberry View Post
    OK, but I STILL don't get the whole idea of the tablet.

Big cell phone??

Small laptop without keyboard??

By the time you put on a protective cover, it's almost like carrying a laptop.

Can anyone school me on why I need a tablet if I already have a powerful cell phone and a powerful laptop??
    /in a stage whisper "You don't"
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid/iPhone 4

I'm not sure what they mean by 3D. Does that mean you need special glasses like current 3D TV sets?
    Most likely it is a stereoscopic screen... 3d without the glasses (google it for more info). I think this is awesome... and it will probably prevent me from purchasing the xoom tablet. ASUS make awesome products... They are my favorite source for Mobos.

Also, Apple's Tablets aren't over priced in todays market. Look at the price of unsubsidized smartphones (the prices have been that way forever).
    I don't know where I would be without my Sexy DROID along side my Sexy IPhone 4, and my Sexy Atrix...
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid/iPhone 4
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetrants View Post
    Last year I was all but sure that we'd see $300-$400 tablets, based on the reasoning that netbooks run $300, and that's where tablets should be--but thanks to the iPad we'd pay a few extra dollars.

But after CES this year, I don't think $300 will happen this year, next year, or the year after that. There seems to be two reasons. First I keep reading that Apple has cornered the market on components--touchscreens and memory, in particular. Since they've guaranteed purchase of so much of the supply, everyone else (Motorola, Samsung, Asus, etc.) is paying a premium for what's left.

Second, for some strange reason, the better manufacturers are all making what amounts to high-end tablets...dual-core (soon quad), HD displays, all kinds of cell-phone'ish components like GPS and cameras, which means if they keep doing that, we'll NEVER see a $300 netbook price on a tablet.

I hope people like kodiak799 are right, and the trend ends up being short-lived. If the netbook craze lasted 3 or 4 years, I'd be more than happy to see bloated, overpriced tablets at $700-$800 for at least that long. But please not for the long-term future...

-Matt
    Tablets were out before the IPad came out and they cost more than $300. IPad made tablets a focal point... and then designers copied the look of the ipad because it was a hit. Tablet PCs have existed for a while.
    I don't know where I would be without my Sexy DROID along side my Sexy IPhone 4, and my Sexy Atrix...
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid/iPhone 4
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidMastar2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetrants View Post

-Matt
    Tablets were out before the IPad came out and they cost more than $300. IPad made tablets a focal point... and then designers copied the look of the ipad because it was a hit. Tablet PCs have existed for a while.
    oops sorry, I hit submit reply... by mistake (touchpad went crazy)

Prices on tablets will fall quickly with newer and better tablets coming out so rapidly. You may not get the Newest tablet at the lowest price but prior tablet prices will be reduced to compete in the market...
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I think smartphones are maybe 1-yr away, 2 years tops, from being the 3-in-1 device that dominates everything - just plug into a tablet or laptop dock (which will actually be a tablet with attachable keyboard) and that also solves the larger power requirements.

The hurdle might actually be the OS supporting more laptop/pc type features. The simple fact of the matter is I can't or won't run MS Office from the cloud, so that's the elephant in the room, at least for me. But for otherwise personal use of mostly surfing and some casual Google Docs perhaps, we are fairly close - Chrome OS is running on netbooks and I see there's an Android x86 project that people have hacked onto netbooks as well.

Honeycomb is basically Android for larger, more powerful devices, and Ice Cream will complete the circle with smartphones. When and if we get full blown Office running on these phones it's game over.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Phone
    HTC One - Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by sidsixseven View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimers69 View Post
    im not typing papers on a tablet, and some people (older people) can't see on a 10.1 inch tablet. i still want one!
    Face it, no one needs a tablet. They didn't really exist in a big way until a year or so ago and we got along fine without them.
    I don't mean this in offensive way, but that type of thinking is blind to the vision. There is a reason that Google, Microsoft and Apple are fighting so fiercely over this market and it's not because of the way that today's Tablets are used.

Like you said, no one needs a Tablet [u]today[u] but that's very short-sighted.

Envision a scenario where you have one portable "computing" device. When you are on the go traveling, it functions as a cell phone. When you need something a bit bigger, you fit it into the "Tablet" docking and sit on the couch playing video games, surfing the web or reading a book. Then when you need to write that term paper or work on that office presentation, you plug it into a docking station for a big 21" monitor and keyboard.

Although, personally, I think you'll always see the computer/tablet separate from the cell phone. Mainly because if you drop the phone in a toilet, you don't lose all your data.

But even here, you are seeing the trend towards Cloud computing. One device with all your "storage" backed up to the Cloud or some secure location.

Expensive toy or not, the consumer market is headed that direction FAST.
    What you describe will certainly be - someday. That might take 10 years or just 1 year. It depends on how powerful a computer a certain person needs. If all a person needs is to surf the web, post to facebook and do some basic document or spreadsheet creation, then it is here today or at least close. The Atrix is a start. However, it will be much longer before the processor and graphics in a smartphone, or even a tablet, will permit higher level gaming or video or photo editing. Right now the tablet is basically a toy for the vast majority of people in my opinion and that is what I was referring to. When it becomes as powerful as your scenario then it will become a more powerful tool. I don't need a toy. That doesn't mean that I don't want one, but I don't need one.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Links