DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Motorola Xoom Parts Priced

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    1Gen Moto Droid
    I think Moto (Xoom) is expecting to compete w/ ipad2. Xoom vs. ipad (1st gen) it isn't the right comparison. Apple has a strong headstart on the no. of apps optimized but that should be expected for being a pioneer. I'll be surprised if ipad2 price is going to be much different than Xoom.

Also Xoom is a new product & it's consider high end (1st honeycomb tablets) so they must've feel that is the "right" early pricing. As more honeycomb tablets launched w/similar specs the "right" pricing will be corrected b/c at the end of the day, it's all about supply & demand (and competition). I'm itchy to get one but can't justify the high cost just for having the latest & greatest!
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by soops View Post
    I think Moto (Xoom) is expecting to compete w/ ipad2.
    The #1 weapon manufactures have to compete with apple is pricing. Way to waste that moto.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    Markup on electronics is a turd.
    True, there's a lot of room for these prices to come down. But point of contention - those prices don't include R&D, marketing and distribution costs.

What I take from that is it's got about $35 more in parts and retails for about $70 more than the IPad. Doesn't seem outrageous, but then again there's a lot more competition out there than with the launch of the IPad so you would have expected price to go in the opposite direction.

Also, not sure if that includes the LTE hardware or if that's a "free" upgrade.
    I know, but they are making bank at the same time.

Another good example, got a friend who is a Best Buy store manager, so when I need something I let him grab it....

Stuff like TVs dont have alot of markup, but accessories and such are CRAZY.

I bought a flat panel TV wall mount and 2 HDMI cables a couple months ago, price tag at BB:

Wall mount - $149
    HDMI cable - $79 EACH
    Total - $307 + tax

My buddy paying actual store cost:

Wall mount - $27
    HDMI cable - $6.99 each
    Total - $40.98 + tax

Yeah, $266 difference.
    For the record, the cheapest brand hdmi cables have been shown to provide at most a 1.4% (and hardly if at all noticable to the eye) difference in picture quality.

Back on topic!
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    399 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by poontab View Post
    I don't know what moto was thinking with the premium pricing on the Xoom. I'd rather own a win 7 tablet with better hardware for 2/3 the price.
    Don't forget that the carriers are playing a pretty prominent role in pricing. I think they are colluding with the OEM to inflate retail prices so people have to lock into a contract to afford it.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid/HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by Haloman800 View Post
    I think $500.00 would be the perfect price - It'd be affordable by everyone, and it'd go head-to-head with the iPad.

I'd even buy one, and I hate tablets.

$600 seems more realistic though, $800 is outrageous.
    Motorola is in the business of profit, not charity. Sorry, but theres much more to take into account here and quite frankly $500 is too cheap. Theres the marketing, the R&D and the LTE radio.

I will say they could have went $749; could even find a way to get it at $699 if they wanted to really be competitive. I know I would have tried for at least $749; its possible.

Proud Owner of a HTC Thunderbolt
    3/26/11 - Present

Proud Owner of a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    6/24/11 Present
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Sexxxus
    Markup on electronics is a turd.
    True, there's a lot of room for these prices to come down. But point of contention - those prices don't include R&D, marketing and distribution costs.

What I take from that is it's got about $35 more in parts and retails for about $70 more than the IPad. Doesn't seem outrageous, but then again there's a lot more competition out there than with the launch of the IPad so you would have expected price to go in the opposite direction.

Another good example, got a friend who is a Best Buy store manager, so when I need something I let him grab it....

I bought a flat panel TV wall mount and 2 HDMI cables a couple months ago, price tag at BB:

Wall mount - $149
    HDMI cable - $79 EACH
    Total - $307 + tax

Wall mount - $27
    HDMI cable - $6.99 each
    Total - $40.98 + tax

Yeah, $266 difference.
    Monoprice(dot).com

40" 180 swivle tilting wall mount $26
    HDMI cable <$5

I nearly pooped a brick when I discovered this place. My 40" sammy is still hanging just fine and no issues with the HDMI or other cables (microUSB) that I've bought there

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    HOKIE
  7. Nice Guy
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haloman800 View Post
    I think $500.00 would be the perfect price - It'd be affordable by everyone, and it'd go head-to-head with the iPad.

I'd even buy one, and I hate tablets.

$600 seems more realistic though, $800 is outrageous.
    Yeah, take a look at Any tablet over $500 just can&#039;t compete with the Apple iPad | ZDNet
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    Phone
    Moto X / 4.4
    I'm so disappointed with Motorola's ineptitude with the Xoom. I've been putting off buying a 10" tablet for a year now just waiting to see what Android would offer. No offense Archos 101 owners but that thing looks and feels like a cheap toy. Paying $800 for a Xoom with features that cost extra and that I don't even want (3G), I'm flat out tired of waiting. I don't feel like rooting or jailbreaking I just wanted an internet tablet with decent screen real estate and strong specs for future growth. Moto is just jerking us around with the wifi model, and guess what...

...I'm out.

If the iPad2 has half decent specs tomorrow and is available I'm placing my order.

Dumb Motorola... DUMB. You just lost one customer, and the longer you wait to release the wifi tablet the more that will respond just like me.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid/HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    I'm so disappointed with Motorola's ineptitude with the Xoom. I've been putting off buying a 10" tablet for a year now just waiting to see what Android would offer. No offense Archos 101 owners but that thing looks and feels like a cheap toy. Paying $800 for a Xoom with features that cost extra and that I don't even want (3G), I'm flat out tired of waiting. I don't feel like rooting or jailbreaking I just wanted an internet tablet with decent screen real estate and strong specs for future growth. Moto is just jerking us around with the wifi model, and guess what...

...I'm out.

If the iPad2 has half decent specs tomorrow and is available I'm placing my order.

Dumb Motorola... DUMB. You just lost one customer, and the longer you wait to release the wifi tablet the more that will respond just like me.
    You know you can get the Xoom on Motorola's site using the coupon for $600 right?

Proud Owner of a HTC Thunderbolt
    3/26/11 - Present

Proud Owner of a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    6/24/11 Present
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC ThunderBolt
    Quote Originally Posted by kptphalkon View Post

Wall mount - $149
    HDMI cable - $79 EACH
    Total - $307 + tax

Wall mount - $27
    HDMI cable - $6.99 each
    Total - $40.98 + tax

Yeah, $266 difference.
    For the record, the cheapest brand hdmi cables have been shown to provide at most a 1.4% (and hardly if at all noticable to the eye) difference in picture quality.

Back on topic!
    True, but when I can buy the expensive, well made cables for $7 each, Im gonna
    HTC THUNDERBOLT Rooted / Perfect Storm 1.2 ROM / Overclocked @ 1.80GHZ

Evolution : Droid 1 - Incredible - Droid X - Thunderbolt
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links