DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorola Does the Unthinkable - Xoom Will Come with Unlocked/Relockable Bootloader!!!

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2, A955
    Quote Originally Posted by SixStringTheory View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bills742 View Post
    That's awesome, makes you wonder if they will do the same with the bionic...
    I doubt it.

This was the same with the Droid 1. Worked closely with Google and it came unlocked. Was a first generation device for them, a new product line. They leave it unlocked and see what hackers can do with it, and then use that info and lock down all future devices.

I'd bet a lot of money the Xoom 2 will come as locked as the Droid 2 and Milestone were.
    What they don't seem to comprehend is that it will boost the **** out of their sells. You're right the phones after didn't have it. And with the iPhone out I think they should keep adding it in the phones, it would make up.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @onsht1kll
    Phone
    Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by pylopor View Post
    I doubt it.

This was the same with the Droid 1. Worked closely with Google and it came unlocked. Was a first generation device for them, a new product line. They leave it unlocked and see what hackers can do with it, and then use that info and lock down all future devices.

I'd bet a lot of money the Xoom 2 will come as locked as the Droid 2 and Milestone were.
    What they don't seem to comprehend is that it will boost the **** out of their sells. You're right the phones after didn't have it. And with the iPhone out I think they should keep adding it in the phones, it would make up.
    I think that is more true than not .. DF already posted that Moto is gonna be cautious about Verizon cuz of the iphone .. so if it has hurt sales.. what would boost them? unlocked bootloader .. Only time will tell.. but I have seen more people than not saying they would buy the bionic if it was unlocked
    Motorola Droid - MIUI ROM 1.3.25 with Killtime theme
    Slayher's 1.2 GHz Kernal w/out SetCPU
    MIUI Mods

HTC Thunderbolt - Gingeritis with Sense 3.0 with Imoseyons GB lean Kernal 2.8.2 Overclocked to 1.4 GHz
    Thunderbolt Mods
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Twitter
    JefFullerMyself
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I think most people are over looking a couple key words here. The device has a unlockable/relockable bootloader. To me that says we will give the key out to some people but not everyone. I would be very surprised if the average consumer had the ability to have the bootloader unlocked. I am thinking only top end dev's of apps and stuff like that will have access.
    Anytime someone dares me to walk a mile in their shoes I do it! Because, hey free shoes and I am now a mile away from that person!

Hatred is by far the ugliest trait any human can possess (think about it)
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTenderRebel View Post
    I think most people are over looking a couple key words here. The device has a unlockable/relockable bootloader. To me that says we will give the key out to some people but not everyone. I would be very surprised if the average consumer had the ability to have the bootloader unlocked. I am thinking only top end dev's of apps and stuff like that will have access.
    These "top end dev's" will make noob-friendly tutorials/apps to make fully unlocking it open to the public.

I don't think that's what they meant by unlockable/relockable anyway, although I'm not sure what they meant by it, maybe, that they have the ability to lock it if bricked devices get out of hand.. With an OTA update?
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I doubt it.

You forgot the part about them also adding Blur lol.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Still hoping D3 will come unlocked, but the whole "unlocked first gen only" strategy makes sense, that's what we'll probably see
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    The ability to load custom ROMs and easily root really won't affect sales much. Us forum dwellers and hackers are a very small community in the scheme of things. And even then a good portion of us, if not the majority, will still buy a good device even if it's not as hacker friendly as we'd like.

If free hacking was really so important we'd ALL have a Nexus S...

And if it was really that much of a financial incentive than they'd unlock all their devices.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    original droid
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycemiskel View Post
    I doubt it.

You forgot the part about them also adding Blur lol.
    Haha, good one

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
    -Original droid
    -Not worth updating my sig for what rom/kernel i use because i change daily usually (chevy's or cyan)
    -No theme ever
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    original droid
    The ability to load custom ROMs and easily root really won't affect sales much. Us forum dwellers and hackers are a very small community in the scheme of things. And even then a good portion of us, if not the majority, will still buy a good device even if it's not as hacker friendly as we'd like.

And if it was really that much of a financial incentive than they'd unlock all their devices.
    One of the mods needs to take this down before moto sees it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
    -Original droid
    -Not worth updating my sig for what rom/kernel i use because i change daily usually (chevy's or cyan)
    -No theme ever
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @onsht1kll
    Phone
    Thunderbolt

But how many of us in the small community affect what other people think, such as family and friends..

and we wouldnt all have the nexus S .. most of us actually want good service on our phones .. if they made a Nexus S for Verizon i would most certainly get it. But the ability to hack my phone is second to having to deal with crappy service ..
    Motorola Droid - MIUI ROM 1.3.25 with Killtime theme
    Slayher's 1.2 GHz Kernal w/out SetCPU
    MIUI Mods

HTC Thunderbolt - Gingeritis with Sense 3.0 with Imoseyons GB lean Kernal 2.8.2 Overclocked to 1.4 GHz
    Thunderbolt Mods
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links