DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Android Streaming Netflix Closer to Reality - Shown on Custom LG Revolution at MWC

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2079 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Android Streaming Netflix Closer to Reality - Shown on Custom LG Revolution at MWC

Streaming Netflix on our Androids just got a step closer to becoming a reality. LG was showing it off in a working form on a modified LG Revolution. This modified phone was using a custom Snapdragon processor that utilizes advanced DRM libraries at the hardware level to keep the movies from being easily pirated. That Qualcomm was able to come up with this solution is the good news. The bad news is that it simply won't work with any existing smartphone chip, including unmodified Snapdragon processors.

It's great that we are a step closer to Watch Instantly Netflix Movies on Android, but it's a shame that the paranoid movie execs are slowing the development to a snail's pace. I can understand their desire to protect their IP, but it just seems that the potential for them to make even more money in the long run would spur them to speed the development process along. What are your thoughts on the subject?

Source: Android.net via Engadget
    Last edited by dgstorm; 02-15-2011 at 11:49 AM.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I was actually surprised to find out that Netflix hasn't been able to be streamed yet.

I think it's absurd. The demand is there (much more than 3D phones) and the profit that could be made should want them to get it up right away. I would actually buy Netflix (even a higher priced "plan" for mobile) if I could steam it on my Thunderbolt (When I get it... Sorry Bionic, you're too Blury)
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC ThunderBolt
    That would be cool if the instant (steaming) movie choices didnt suck.
    HTC THUNDERBOLT Rooted / Perfect Storm 1.2 ROM / Overclocked @ 1.80GHZ

Evolution : Droid 1 - Incredible - Droid X - Thunderbolt
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    It would be nice to have netflix but they need to negotiate for more content availability first, the streaming choices are lame at best.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I love Netflix, I have an account.

That said, I'd get what 2... 3 movies before I were throttled? LOL

I'm coming to the conclusion that this isn't on the network because they just don't want tons of people streaming video over it.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx/D1
    Regardless of how well the app will perform and its movie selection...

Pirates are gonna pirates. They are already able to get the movies and I figure its probably a lot easier on a computer anyways. Besides theres torrent programs for phones anyways. In my opinion there is no real benefit to them holding off on releasing this. I am a Netflix subscriber and I almost feel like canceling because Im feeling pretty jipped as I was looking forward to using it on my Droid and now thats never going to happen. BOOOOOOOOOOOOO netflix.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    Moto RazR HD
    I cannot imagine that Verizon is happy about this. A lot of people have Netflix accounts, and if a couple million people started streaming movies and TV shows over Netflix to their phones, Verizon will feel the strain.

I expect more throttling, bandwidth caps, and everyone on the network slowing down as the extra traffic congests their pipelines.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by droidaddict101 View Post
    Regardless of how well the app will perform and its movie selection...

Pirates are gonna pirates. They are already able to get the movies and I figure its probably a lot easier on a computer anyways. Besides theres torrent programs for phones anyways. In my opinion there is no real benefit to them holding off on releasing this. I am a Netflix subscriber and I almost feel like canceling because Im feeling pretty jipped as I was looking forward to using it on my Droid and now thats never going to happen. BOOOOOOOOOOOOO netflix.
    My thinking isn't that they're "holding off", it's that you're never going to see it. Or, if you do, they'll compress it so much it won't look good on any screen larger than your phone.

As far as the torrent programs go, ya, that's part of why they're implementing this. Torrents, Hulu, Netflix, doesn't matter WHAT it is, it's too much for the network, as it sits now. Is the technology out there? Of course. Speeds and prices in the US are a joke. But that costs money and short sighted American business sees that as an immediate threat to the bottom line.

Total guess here but I give it to about June or July and you'll start to hear the crying and gnashing of teeth....
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    If drm is being implemented at the hardware level i am never buying a smart phone that is netflix capable. Whos to say that it wont be implemented to stop you from watching live streams or d/ling or playing non bought music? I am an internet pirate at heart and believe in freedom out there on the sea of information.

Just leave me alone and let me cruise those golden waters to infinity....

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Damn not being able to edit!

I'd like to apologize for double posting and add that i would pay for netflix mobile (been waiting what seems like forever) and would not redistribute a pirated copy from them. But with the forced inclusion of hard coded management, i am very very turned off.

I hate ipods for that same basic reason. Theyre great dnt get me wrong, but being unable to share with other computers really ticked me off.

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links