DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Qualcomm Quad Core Inside

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Twitter
    WMPerson
    Phone
    T-mobile G2x
    Premium Member

Qualcomm Quad Core Inside

It seems our new line of phones might start being sold with stickers like this on it. Yesterday, Qualcomm unveiled their next generation of processors for mobile devices. These new processors are said to improve performance by 150% and crash the power consumption down a whooping 65% over current processors. The speed of these new chips is up to 2.5 GHz per core, with the choice of single, dual, and quad core being available.

Keep in mind, these new processors are more likely made for tablets like the Xoom and the Tab 10.1. Samples for the dual-core MSM8960 will be available in second quarter this year, while single-core MSM8930 and quad-core APQ8063 versions are coming early 2012. This means you will not see them powering any tablets for quite some time, but the good news is Nvidia might have all this out before Qualcomm does, we'll just have to wait and see.

Thoughts on this new development?

Source: Qualcomm unveils next-gen Snapdragon family, including quad-core 2.5GHz CPU -- Engadget
    Last edited by dgstorm; 02-14-2011 at 09:32 AM.
    There is probable a million things about me that you don't know. Check out my About.me page
    About.me
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Bleh...just getting closer and closer to when handhelds and desktops are one and the same...

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    That will never happen. Mobile chip architecture is mostly based on power consumption. Desktop CPUs don't really care too much about power consumption.

An Intel i7 is a 130 watt cpu. The less powerful models are 70-90 watts. The chips they use in mobiles draw only a few watts. Even if you see a 2.5ghz mobile processor it will only be a fraction of the processing power of a desktop CPU.

Desktops will never be replaced by handhelds. At some point people need more power than a mobile cpu run by a battery can supply.
  4. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    Actually I think it will happen. Maybe not in 5-10, but the move to pure mobile computing is on the way. It will take a shift in thinking as well as technology for it to happen. But it will happen.

Sent from somewhere...
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    I don't know. Content tends to grow with the power to run it. My first Gateway2000 would all day to render a website like gizmodo (if it even could). As available power increased people developed technologies that utilized that power.

Maybe the handhelds in 10 years will handle the tech of today, but the tech of 2010 will require more power than we see now. And if form factors such as handhelds and tablets catch on for mundane tasks like emailing and wasting time, that doesn't mean they'll be suited for tasks that, like it or not, a mouse/keyboard and 150 watt processor are better at.

I'm not denying the dramatic increase in power of handhelds. But unless some insane new technologies, like cold fusion batteries (lol), there will just never be enough available stored energy to fuel a handheld with the power of a desktop.
  6. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    30 years ago someone said 256k RAM was all you'd ever need. 20yrs ago no one thought you'd be surfing the web or emailing on cell phones. Tablets are paving the way for mobile computing.
    There's tech out that uses stray radio/wifi/and other signals to charge batteries. If this gets developed to where it can run a phone as opposed to just charging while not in use there's a good chance of things getting off the cords.

Sent from somewhere...
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    No you're 100% right. But still, even though we can email and surf the web on phones, which was what desktops did 10-20 years ago, we can do things today on desktops that weren't even dreamt of back then.

So even in 20 years if we can do tasks that desktops do today, there will be so many new things desktops can do in the future that handhelds can't. The i15 processor will be rendering photo-realistic graphics in real time maybe. Handhelds, regardless of how powerful they may in the future, will still be way behind what desktops do.

There will always be two power curves: One for desktops one for mobiles.
  8. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    There will be the two curves, but they will get closer to each other as time goes by. I am more saying the capability will be there to not need a desktop in the near future. In now way will they match performance. Just capabilities will get closer and closer.
    Graphics and the such is a performance issue that will always be in desktops favor, but in overall capabilities they will be close soon. Its exciting to see where things are going.

Sent from somewhere...
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Can't you put a beefier processor in and throttle it when on battery? I'm thinking of something like this as a PC-replacement that, when docked would be plugged into a bigger power supply to feed the processor.

They'll never replace 100% of PC's, but 90-95% of home PC's?
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Also ... remember that the screen consumes around 70% of mobile power not the processor.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links