DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honeycomb for More than Just Tablets

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Honeycomb for More than Just Tablets

Honeycomb lead UI designer, Matias Duarte, said that the Android 3.0 OS is for more than just Tablets, “Tablet was the focus, but the changes we did also free it up to be more flexible for other contexts as well.” He indicated that Google wanted to design an OS that can also handle devices larger than a regular smartphone, something more capable with mobile computing tasks, and something that is more usable in the process. He indicated that most of what the design team wants for Honeycomb is a "work in progress" and that it could evolve into something that goes on far more devices than they can currently envision. He added, "It’s about really eliminating all the barriers to all the different kinds of form factors that people might want to interact with.”

Tablets, like the Motorola Xoom, might be Google's current focus for Honeycomb, but it looks like they have bigger plans in mind for the future of the OS. Perhaps we will see Honeycomb end up on our refrigerator or toaster soon? Or, maybe even replace the operating system on our current PC's... What do you guys think?

Source: Slashgear

3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    mditommaso3
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    would love an android pc os
    HTC Rezound
  4. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Twitter
    Bazar6
    Phone
    GNex & Xoom & OG Droid
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    I'd like to see it in my car. Both where the radio is and the gauges, like Ford's new gauge cluster in the Fusion Hybrid.
    Moto Droid 1 : Project Elite v4.2
    HTC Thunderbolt : Sold
    Samsung Droid Charge : Stock
    Moto Xoom Wifi : CM10.1
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus : CM10.2
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    NAVIGATION SYSTEMS...mine is so laggy and can't do half the stuff my phone could do. For what they charge for nav systems ($2k+ for most) you'd think that they could find a way to have an android-powered nav system, especially since the programming for the actual nav part is already done (hello! Google Maps / Nav?!). I would totally pay a fee every month to have all that fun stuff integrated into my car...

Maybe I'll just superglue a XOOM tablet where my current nav is... lol
  6. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Twitter
    Bazar6
    Phone
    GNex & Xoom & OG Droid
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    lmao I was actually sitting in my car this morning visualizing a 7" Galaxy Tab built in to my car (I'd say Xoom, but I want that wherever I go, not to be solely used for my car)
    Moto Droid 1 : Project Elite v4.2
    HTC Thunderbolt : Sold
    Samsung Droid Charge : Stock
    Moto Xoom Wifi : CM10.1
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus : CM10.2
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    tb110895
    Phone
    Droid 2
    This would be really cool in a car or nav. system but a fridge... not so much. i wouldn't want to stand at my fridge just to use it lol
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by tb110895 View Post
    This would be really cool in a car or nav. system but a fridge... not so much. i wouldn't want to stand at my fridge just to use it lol
    Well maybe not the fridge, but maybe one control device for the fridge when it's stocked or low and change the temp... toaster to determine how crsip to make the toast... turn on the electric kettle so I can go have hot water right away (waiting that minute can be torture)... turning down the furnance/temp when the sun comes out... All powered by an Andoid OS device.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Honestly, a great majority of what our household does on our desktops and laptops could easily be done on a device running Android. Web browsing, managing email, documents, multimedia; it's all there! Until recently the only limitation has been that Android was only widely available on phones with small screens.

I'll still need a computer for my photo & video editing, but for the other 99% of the time I'd dig a laptop or tablet into which I could dock my Android phone. The laptop/tablet would use the phone's wireless data connection and it would use the phone's processor and memory or it could use the phone's processor to augment a processor and memory that's already built into the laptop/tablet (an additional core).

Computer OS' have become so big and bloated. Since using Android I've come to appreciate the speed and simplicity of a lightweight application that serves a specific function. I wish that my computer booted up as quickly as it could if it ran Android. I wish my computer's apps loaded and operated as quickly as apps on my phone do.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    tb110895
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Quote Originally Posted by debdroid1a View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tb110895 View Post
    Well maybe not the fridge, but maybe one control device for the fridge when it's stocked or low and change the temp... toaster to determine how crsip to make the toast... turn on the electric kettle so I can go have hot water right away (waiting that minute can be torture)... turning down the furnance/temp when the sun comes out... All powered by an Andoid OS device.
    Beat that iphone!
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Definitely in the car
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links