DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HTC Thunderbolt Will Have Hotspot Function

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Twitter
    WMPerson
    Phone
    T-mobile G2x
    Premium Member

HTC Thunderbolt Will Have Hotspot Function

The question whether the HTC Thunderbolt will have of a Mobile Hotspot function has been blowing around the web for a bit now, but this new screenshot says there are no worries; itíll be there at launch. The document that was leaked by Engadget is actually an updated version of a previously leaked document, that stated the Thunderbolt will be able to handle simultaneously voice and data. Now, this one says itíll have a wireless hotspot functionality on launch date as well. This means you'll be able to create a very useful open Wi-Fi network for 5 of your devices; Galaxy Tab, iPhone 4, Motorola Xoom, Camera and more.

I wonder if Verizon will charge a fee to let us use this feature? What do you think of this little tidbit.

Source (HTC Thunderbolt WILL Feature Mobile Hotspot at Launch | Android Phone Fans)
    Last edited by dgstorm; 02-01-2011 at 09:51 AM. Reason: grammar, missing content - you forgot to add in what was 'simultaneous' = (voice and data), clarity
    There is probable a million things about me that you don't know. Check out my About.me page
    About.me
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    The question is why do these features receive so much attention when VZW bends you over for tethering prices (non-root, of course)?
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah, I'd be interested if anybody uses the hotspot app without rooting. It's MY data, I'll use it as i like.
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Well, if VZW let everyone tether many people would ditch home broadband (much more of an issue with LTE) and then average data use would increase 10X or more and then the network WOULD be overloaded. Which is probably why tethering is explicitly EXCLUDED from your data plan.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    Well, if VZW let everyone tether many people would ditch home broadband (much more of an issue with LTE) and then average data use would increase 10X or more and then the network WOULD be overloaded. Which is probably why tethering is explicitly EXCLUDED from your data plan.
    Yup.

The good news is that they pro-rate the tethering plan for the actual days used, so you can add if you need it (say going on a trip and no WiFi or expensive WiFi at your hotel) and turn it off when you get home. It is billed a month in advance, so you will get hit for the full charge, then the next month get a credit which evens it out. Be sure to shut it off the day AFTER you have stopped tethering or you will get nailed with very high charges for any tethered data.

I don't really mind (well not much anyway) the extra monthly charge, but I do still hate the very low gigabyte limit and the relatively high over-charges (although they are much better than they were last year...).

Of course, they still haven't published LTE smartphone plan rates yet, so my position may change next week.

Alan
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid
    The hot spot is B.S....I pay for unlimeted...but they want more ...It is plane and simple, they want to bleed more money from anyone they can...

sorry for the rant..........
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Phone
    Droid Incredible 2
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bearklaws007 View Post
    The hot spot is B.S....I pay for unlimeted...but they want more ...It is plane and simple, they want to bleed more money from anyone they can...

sorry for the rant..........
    Actually, you need to read the posts above you again because they make perfect sense. Especially with LTE, everyone would ditch their home broadband and the Verizon network WOULD slow to a crawl. Make no mistake about that. To think otherwise is ludicrous.

I understand your sentiment, but what is being said is true. If it were free, it would be disastrous for the network.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Well whats the Deal with Apple Getting a Hotspot Function in there iphone 4, and i have heard that it will be free. Was that one of the stipulations for Apple to come over to VZW? And who was it to make that descision was it Apple or VZW?

Why does Apple get hotspot for free, and Android Users have to suffer??
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Phone
    Droid Incredible 2
    Premium Member
    The iPhone is not getting the hotspot for free. I have confirmed that since I'll be ordering the iPhone for my wife the day after tomorrow. Verizon finally confirmed you have to pay on their website.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by jkhonea View Post
    The iPhone is not getting the hotspot for free. I have confirmed that since I'll be ordering the iPhone for my wife the day after tomorrow. Verizon finally confirmed you have to pay on their website.
    Ah Ok, see i have heard since the Iphone was being released that one of its key features would be the HotSpot and that it would be offer'd for free. And that made no sense to me. Thanks for clearing that up!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links