DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [Updated]Verizon Soon to Release Competent Competitor to Google Nav - VZ Navigator VX

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2037 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

[Updated]Verizon Soon to Release Competent Competitor to Google Nav - VZ Navigator VX

Our sister-site, at Android.net, just found a surprising press release from Verizon about an upcoming Verizon created Navigation program that might actually give the venerable Google Nav some decent competition, at least in a few countries. It's called VZ Navigator VX and it packs some pretty incredible features if the video (above) and the press release can be believed. It does have one caveat though... it sports heavy 'Bing!' integration, and there is actually a subscription fee. I suppose whether Bing is good is relative, but it would be nice to have more choice in the matter, and I doubt people will be willing to swallow the $10 dollar per month subscription fee. Regardless, it will be good to have competition in the navigation market as it only spurs the evolution of the products. Let us know in the forums if this is something you would ever try out. Here's the full Press Release,
    Verizon Wireless today announced VZ Navigator VX - the latest version of the company’s award-winning navigation service - is now available on select DROID™ smartphones, including DROID X by Motorola, DROID Incredible by HTC and the Samsung Fascinate™. Powered by TeleCommunication Systems, VZ Navigator VX is unlike any other navigation service offered today, providing customers with 3D navigation views using enhanced 3D city models and true-to-life images of highway and exit signs.

An evolution of ordinary direction services, the 3D capabilities of VZ Navigator VX are available in six cities at launch, including: Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, Kansas City, Mo., New York, and Washington D.C., with more cities being added in 2011. The 3D city and road views add dimension to the turn-by-turn directions VZ Navigator VX offers. Other enhancements in the newest version include “real” signs and road views, satellite maps and day/night modes among other features.

“Verizon Wireless continues to add more to VZ Navigator, and VZ Navigator VX now gives our customers some of the most advanced mapping and navigation services available today,” said Kristi Crum, director, Consumer Solutions for Verizon Wireless. “Whether they are in a familiar place and need to get around more efficiently or exploring new territory in a car or on foot, customers can turn to VZ Navigator to get them where they want to go.”

VZ Navigator VX builds on existing location-based technology, including an easy-to-use interface, improved functionality for finding points of interest, the ability to run multiple VZ Navigator functions simultaneously within a navigation session and integration with Facebook®.

Customers can download VZ Navigator VX from the Android Market™. It is available for $9.99 a month for unlimited access, $4.99 for a weekly usage or $2.99 for a one-day/24-hour use. VZ Navigator VX is available initially on DROID X by Motorola, the Samsung Fascinate and the DROID Incredible by HTC with additional devices rolling out in 2011. Unlike traditional navigation devices that require annual upgrades to remain accurate, the monthly charge includes continuous updates to maps and points of interest. Download charges vary and airtime or megabyte charges may apply when browsing, downloading and using certain applications.

TeleCommunication Systems (TCS) (Nasdaq: TSYS), is a leader in location-based technology whose mobile services empower consumers to make quick, smart decisions when they’re on the go. For more information about TCS products and services, visit TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS) | Connections that Matter®.
    Source: Verizon Wireless via Android.net
    Last edited by dgstorm; 01-28-2011 at 11:25 AM.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 1
    Finally VZ Navigator has become relevant in the day and age of Google Navigation.

Still hard to compare free with $10 a month, but we'll see how it pans out....
    Droid RAZR MAXX/ DROID 2 Global/ DROID 1 with DROID 2 EXTENDED BATTERY (BP7X - 1860 mAh)
    ICS /Stock 2.2/UltimateDroid 1.0.0
    Stock Kernel/ChevyNo1's ULowV 1.25 GHz kernel
  4. LT*
    Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Razr HD
    I can't get by the free vs. 120.00 a year thing. VZ nav can't be THAT much better that Google nav to justify that price difference.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Who cares how well the buildings are rendered? Are you admiring the visuals while you're driving? I hope not!

All I care about is that it speaks turn-by-turn directions to me, in real time, and gets me where I'm going. Why would I pay 10$ per month when I can have all of that free and integrated into Android's voice search and google maps' address search?
  6. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Twitter
    Bazar6
    Phone
    GNex & Xoom & OG Droid
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Explosivpotato View Post
    Who cares how well the buildings are rendered? Are you admiring the visuals while you're driving? I hope not!

All I care about is that it speaks turn-by-turn directions to me, in real time, and gets me where I'm going. Why would I pay 10$ per month when I can have all of that free and integrated into Android's voice search and google maps' address search?
    Well said. I will buy an app from a good app dev because he made a better app than the other free ones, but this subscription bullsh*t VZW uses has got to go. Couple this stupid $10/mo for maps with the $10/mo for vCast, and they're laughing on the way to the bank.
    Moto Droid 1 : Project Elite v4.2
    HTC Thunderbolt : Sold
    Samsung Droid Charge : Stock
    Moto Xoom Wifi : CM10.1
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus : CM10.2
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Why would I want to pay a monthly fee for this? $120 every year? I could buy a standalone GPS and not have a monthly fee. Or just use Google Maps for free.

I will pass. What a waste of time.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 1
    Google Maps, I do not need or want VZNav

His: HTC Thunderbolt: CWM | CyanogenMod 7.2.0
    Hers: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Retired: Moto D1: CWM | CyanogenMod
    Retired: Moto D2: CWM | CyanogenMod
    Nook Color: eMMC Boot | CWM | CyanogenMod Nightly
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    I'm just waiting for verizon to disable google nav on phones they offer. I'm hoping this is just an upgrade for phones that can't use google nav lol.
    Resistance is futile.

On 11/16/2009 DroidNet Became Aware
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by New2u View Post
    I'm just waiting for verizon to disable google nav on phones they offer. I'm hoping this is just an upgrade for phones that can't use google nav lol.
    One would hope they took that route and used it solely on non-Android phones, but I have a feeling Android devices would be one of the key targets since it's exploding.

I have a bad feeling that they would disable google maps to make this option viable like you said, but hopefully the developer community will find a workaround if that happens as they have in the past.
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by New2u View Post
    I'm sure Verizon disable Google Maps could be circumvented by rooting.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links