DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tegra 3 May Show Up at MWC

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2032 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Tegra 3 May Show Up at MWC

With CES just behind us, and all the amazing new Tegra 2 dual-core phones just around the corner, you would think that we could have some 'breather room' from new tech announcements, at least for a little while. Fortunately, that is not the case. Rumors indicate that Nvidia is very likely to announce their Tegra 3 line of mobile processors at MWC just next month! In fact, during CES, NVIDIA’s Michael Rayfield, the General Manager for Mobile Business Unit, said, “We have to continue to do more with less power. When my next generation of Tegra comes out, it will do everything that Tegra 2 does and I’ll have more headroom. So I will continue to push that.” He also indicated that the next Tegra 3 announcement would be “pretty quick…probably before my competitors have their dual-core in production.” In fact, Nvidia plans to unveil Tegra 4 within a year. How's that for getting a jump on the competition? The Tegra 4 is said to be a quad-core mobile phone chip. Logical speculation is that the Tegra 3 line will simply be an enhanced and more efficient version of the Tegra 2 line, although it is possible that they will be triple-core chips. Let the speculating race begin!

Source: AndroidAndMe
    Last edited by dgstorm; 01-24-2011 at 11:26 AM.

3. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    Don't tell me this. I just got over the idea of T2 chips in smartphones...lol. How the phone wouldn't melt in ur hand blows my mind.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    399 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Interesting....maybe Tegra4 will be a true dual-core cpu and integrated graphics chip. And since I assume the capability with ram is already there, these phones can have all the power needed to be a true laptop/tablet replacement. But we really need some advancements on the battery front. And the OS isn't there yet, either, but imagine it will be in a year or two.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    394 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    This is why theres no point in waiting for the latest and greatest phone because you will never get one. I think NVidia is shooting itself in the foot with this one. It may hurt sales of the Tegra2 phones to know that T3 phones are right around the corner and T4 in less than a year.

The only reason I would worry about this is if your phone is more of a portable gaming device then a phone. Yes, all phones can play games, but do you play games the majority of the time or use it for phone uses.
    -------------------------------
    • • • HTC One M8 • • •
    -------------------------------
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Those of us into upgrading PC parts, custom building PC's should be used to this by now. Thats why all these Android phones coming out left n right doesnt phase me.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    I forgot to add or having a PC custom built for you.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    399 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Well, maybe custom made or made-to-order phones are just around the corner.

A good dual-core with 1gig of ram is what I'm looking for. In terms of what I need to do on a phone, the D1 is arguably just fine. In terms of what I might want to do on a smartphone in the near future I think what's coming in a few months should be just fine. At some point (sooner rather than later) it becomes overkill and a phone is perfectly capable but maybe just a little slower. LTE is the technological leap here - apps and the OS haven't made even the stock D1 truly obsolete yet. Obsolescence gets thrown around liberally, and incorrectly. Now when Vista came out, that DID make some older PC's obsolete because they didn't have the hardware to run it, but actually those PC's continued to work just fine because other than security concerns there's really not a need to upgrade the OS.

Then in 18-24 months the truly beastly laptop/tablet replacement cells should be out in force.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    Maybe I'll get a Tegra 3 in November instead of a Tegra 2
    How To: Compiling a Custom Version of Clockwork Mod Recovery
    <-- Lockscreen

ROM: Incredibly Re-Engineered v2.3
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Too much new tech. :-( I'm just gonna stuff my GTX480 in my droid...
  11. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    ^And then when Tegra 4 comes next year around the summer....lol

At some point we gotta say ok, this is what I want, forget whats coming out in 6 months. With that said.....I may wait til Tegra 3 comes out too...LOL!!

If anything the 2nd gen Tegra's should be better than 1st gen. And maybe by then we will get more info about other dual core chips from Samsung, T.I, Qualcomm coming out. I personally wanna see what the other dual core chips can do compared to Tegra 2. I got a feeling battery life might be better with the other chips.

MLK, Jr.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links