DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tegra 3 May Show Up at MWC

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by SixStringTheory View Post
    Too much new tech. :-( I'm just gonna stuff my GTX480 in my droid...
    I did that, and now I trying to go SLI, i'm running into some road blocks though... Its all good the OG is still a beast!

Original Gangsta = Retired
    THUNDERBOLT: Rooted Gingeritis VIII
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    206 times
    Phone
    OG D1/G-Nex
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    Well, maybe custom made or made-to-order phones are just around the corner.

A good dual-core with 1gig of ram is what I'm looking for. In terms of what I need to do on a phone, the D1 is arguably just fine. In terms of what I might want to do on a smartphone in the near future I think what's coming in a few months should be just fine. At some point (sooner rather than later) it becomes overkill and a phone is perfectly capable but maybe just a little slower. LTE is the technological leap here - apps and the OS haven't made even the stock D1 truly obsolete yet. Obsolescence gets thrown around liberally, and incorrectly. Now when Vista came out, that DID make some older PC's obsolete because they didn't have the hardware to run it, but actually those PC's continued to work just fine because other than security concerns there's really not a need to upgrade the OS.

Then in 18-24 months the truly beastly laptop/tablet replacement cells should be out in force.
    It would be amazing if we could make our own custom phones. Id have at least a grand into the thing.
    Turtle bit me.I thought they were slow....they snap so fast. ................. <3
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    Larry_ThaGr81
    Phone
    rooted Droid 1 & Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by brando56894 View Post
    Maybe I'll get a Tegra 3 in November instead of a Tegra 2
    That's what I'm thinking here, these first generation Tegra 2 probably won't run nearly as efficient as the next way of processors like the Tegra 3. The same can be said about the Tegra 4 not running as effiently as the next generation of Tegra or equivalent processors. First generation technological leaps in my opinion generally don't measure up to expectations.

My biggest concern is battery life and these phones carrying 1900+ battery due to the the dual core processor as well as LTE service aren't making me feel any better.
    Simply Stunning rooted OGD
    Sent from the Bolt powered by Thunder on
    SkyRaider Zeus
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Wow... Looks like I might be keeping my Droid a little longer than I had expected.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry_ThaGr81 View Post
    Maybe I'll get a Tegra 3 in November instead of a Tegra 2
    That's what I'm thinking here, these first generation Tegra 2 probably won't run nearly as efficient as the next way of processors like the Tegra 3. The same can be said about the Tegra 4 not running as effiently as the next generation of Tegra or equivalent processors. First generation technological leaps in my opinion generally don't measure up to expectations.

My biggest concern is battery life and these phones carrying 1900+ battery due to the the dual core processor as well as LTE service aren't making me feel any better.
    The more one thinks about it it may be better to hold off on the T2s for a few months. As people mentioned before a lot of the software wont be able to take advantage of both of the cores for a little while and its a brand new technology so of course its going to be slightly buggy.
    How To: Compiling a Custom Version of Clockwork Mod Recovery
    <-- Lockscreen

ROM: Incredibly Re-Engineered v2.3
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    this is exactly why i upgraded to the DroidX during christmas even though i knew the dual cores were coming out, id rather have the BEST of the current generation than a shakey "new" phone just because it has hype
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    What i'd rather see come out is better battery tech. You can add all the fancy bells and whistles to things you want, sooner or later you will reach the limit of what you can do with the current battery tech.
    Resistance is futile.

On 11/16/2009 DroidNet Became Aware
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by New2u View Post
    What i'd rather see come out is better battery tech. You can add all the fancy bells and whistles to things you want, sooner or later you will reach the limit of what you can do with the current battery tech.
    Replace the D1 keyboard with a honking big battery and we'd get some serious mileage out of a single charge.

In all seriousness, the 1400mah battery is pretty small. They should be able to work 2 into a phone, especially if there's no physical keyboard
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    I'll definitely agree that we need better battery tech. If I run my droid at 1 GHz constantly while the screen is on (and from 125-500 with the screen off) it will last maybe about 5 or 6 hours, which is pretty pathetic IMO.
    How To: Compiling a Custom Version of Clockwork Mod Recovery
    <-- Lockscreen

ROM: Incredibly Re-Engineered v2.3
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I'll definitely agree that we need better battery tech. If I run my droid at 1 GHz constantly while the screen is on (and from 125-500 with the screen off) it will last maybe about 5 or 6 hours, which is pretty pathetic IMO.
    But it's a mobile phone, 5-6 hours of continuous use like that on a battery isn't really intended use. They aren't laptop replacements, and there aren't many laptops (even with extended batteries) that will get you more than 5-6 hours.

I agree with you that better battery life is desired, but other than a long flight there aren't many places I would be using 5-6 hours continuously away from a power source. And the reality is, battery tech in general has been disappointing, whether it be laptops, electric cars, etc...

Like I said, take the keyboard off the D1 and you could put a big honking extended battery on there to create about the same size. But more than bulk and weight, I think the issue is such a large battery would push costs to a point where phones would be higher than the "sweet spot" mfrs think prices are at. I think a big part of why we aren't seeing a phone with the latest tech on everything is it will simply cost too much to sell well.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links