DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorola Tells Customer to “Buy Elsewhere” if They Want Custom ROMs

1. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by huskerkate View Post

there's always hope, i guess - especially when the dual cores are going to have new chip sets that Moto hasn't used before.
    security is supposed to be even tighter on these new chips : (
    now why you gots to go tinkling in my Cheerios?!?!
    "Maybe you guys need a refresher course - it's all ballbearings nowadays!!" -- Fletch

"Goonga Galoonga...No - Goonga Lagoonga..." -- Carl, "Caddyshack"
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    What gives me hope is the Viewsonic G tablet. Its also running a Tegra 2. Unless Viewsonic doesnt care about trying to lock their stuff down...

that is a disappointing attitude coming from a company that was on the verge of obsolescence not too long ago. but, unfortunately, the population of rooted users, installing custom roms, makes up but a fraction of their customer base. so, they can "afford" to take such a hard-line attitude.

but what i don't understand is the rationale. they say they are locking their bootloaders because it is "what works." that implies that an unlocked bootloader doesn't "work" (meaning that it somehow hurts Moto). the D1, with its open system, has hardly "hurt" Moto. in fact, i would say the opposite - the D1 put Moto back on the map. i'm not saying there is a direct correlation between the success of the D1 and the fact that it's bootloader is unlocked. but, the success of the D1 certainly counters against any argument that an open bootloader somehow doesn't "work" for Moto.

i'm still holding out hope that the Bionic (and rumored Solana) will allow for installation of custom roms. i've seen it hypothesized that because the dual core T2 is relatively new for Moto mobile devices, it will most likely be unable to effectively lock the OS down. i have no way to confirm or rebut this hypothesis, but it would seem to make some sense. or maybe it's just because it's what i want to hear...
    U make a good point. Look at the Droid 1 then the X. Sales are probably similar. So how has locking it down tight helped them? Unless its like someone said, they profit, saving money in support costs. But damn, other manufactures arent locking down tight...

Maybe them being locked down extra tight helps them try to gain a foothold in Blackberry's world. Moto did make the only recent Android phone that seemed targeted at Blackberry users.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    Phone
    Moto X / 4.4
    @tdcrooks if you want to do custom roms, then buy elsewhere, we’ll continue with our strategy that is working thanks.
    BWAH HA HAHA! Dude is acting like they're the only game in town!

I like Android, but don't act like that... seriously.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    @tdcrooks if you want to do custom roms, then buy elsewhere, we’ll continue with our strategy that is working thanks.
    BWAH HA HAHA! Dude is acting like they're the only game in town!

I like Android, but don't act like that... seriously.
    They really "made" Android when it comes down to it. The g1 was on T-mobile for goodness sakes. Motorola could put out mediocre handsets for the next 3years because of the success of the D1 (anyone remember the razor?) Theyre not concerned about the MAYBE 1% of the population that posts on forums like this.

Also the reason that every Moto handset with have blur from now on. WHY? Because they can.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I'm a very heavy proponent of custom ROMs and modding, but I can see where Motorola is coming from. And from those saying "I'll just buy HTC/other brand" just wait and see; to remain competitive in the market they will likely follow suit at some point, probably sooner rather than later.

Why am I saying this? Because taking measures to ensure that only approved software is able to run is vitally important if Android devices want to compete with RIM/Blackberry devices in the corporate/government environment. And with RIM continuing to lose market share; I suspect this is EXACTLY what they are up to.

Right now, RIM still offers an attractive option to these markets simply because the devices are so locked down. In many ways, this is the ONLY real advantage to a RIM device. If Android devices were to prove themselves just as secure, if not more; then alot of big time customers might jump on the bandwagon, if for no other reason to not be reliant on a BES infrastructure. But none of this is going to happen unless manufacturers take these steps to lock things down.

It seems like the Droid 1 is basically the CDMA answer to the Nexus One as far as moddability goes, and I agree with CK; I truly believe it is a collectors item; if you will.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    Maybe them being locked down extra tight helps them try to gain a foothold in Blackberry's world. Moto did make the only recent Android phone that seemed targeted at Blackberry users.
    See my post above. I believe that you are definitely thinking along the correct lines. Unfortunately for us, capturing the BB market would prove to be MUCH more lucrative for Moto than appeasing the 1% of us out here that actually CARE whether or not our bootloaders are unlocked.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    you may be right (as usual). but, a few months ago, we were saying the same thing about the DX. and now, a 17 year old is on the verge of cracking it...
    Well, someone CLAIMED to be on the verge of cracking it months ago. But it still hasn't happened. Not sure how some 17 year old is going to manage it without access to the 256-bit AES keys. Call me skeptical, but I don't see the X's bootloader EVER being fully cracked.
  8. Beta Team
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X
    Well that kinda left a sour taste in my mouth. I may have to take their words to heart then.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Relpy

I think its a marketing strategy, if you lock the boot-loader then it enables the company to stop making software updates in the future such as gingerbread or honeycomb and forces the consumer to spend more money to buy the companies newer phones --- what apple does. If I wanted the new ios on the first generation touch I cant get it hence they are forcing an upgrade. =)
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
    Moto is going to be locking down their devices even harder now. The Moto Droid 1 is truly one of a kind. A collectors item if you will.

This is life guys. It is what it is. I don't like it but this is the wave of the future.

Don't be surprised to see the other manufacturers following suit.
    Well I guess I will keep mine then. Here's my take on it.

When I first got my droid, I loved it. Still do in fact.
    But then I installed launcherpro....loved it even more. It ran better then ever.
    A couple of weeks ago I rooted it and installed the cyanogenmod rom... then I was . My phone ran EVEN better! With launcherpro on top of THAT! My phone kicks some serious butt* (family friendly mod edit). Do I need to rush out and buy the newest phone all the time no. I like to customize stuff, makes it seem more like "mine" Not sure what my next phone will be, but I may not even root it. Depends. I do take responsibility if something happens to my phone since it was my decision to root.
    Last edited by New2u; 01-20-2011 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Language
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Links