DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Drama Continues; Accused of Charging Carriers for Updates; Samsung Responds

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Samsung Drama Continues; Accused of Charging Carriers for Updates; Samsung Responds

Previously we reported that an "XDA Developer" member was filing a class action lawsuit against T-Mobile and Samsung because he felt that they were holding out needed updates on their customers as a marketing ploy to increase profits. There is now more to the story, as it seems the drama has grown.

Another member of the XDA Developers forums, named 'The.Samsung.Secret', has come forward claiming to be a Samsung insider, and also claims that Samsung charges carriers for major updates. The.Samsung.Secret differentiates the updates by saying that critical bug fixes and regular scheduled maintenance updates are 'exempt' from this, but new OS updates, like going from Eclair to Froyo, are feature updates and incur a charge from Samsung. Samsung.Secret explains that this is why the Samsung Galaxy S line of phones has yet to receive Froyo, and not some marketing ploy to maximize profits for their new phones coming out. This is more of what he had to say,
    “Samsung, however, considers it [the update to Froyo] a feature update, and requires carriers to pay a per device update fee for each incremental Android update.

Some of you might have noticed Verion’s Fascinate updated, but without 2.2 : This is a result of a maintenance agreement Samsung must honor combined with Verizon’s unwillingness to pay the update fees. In short, Android 2.2 is on hold for Galaxy S phones until the U.S. carriers and Samsung reach a consensus.”
    This flies in the face of what we know so far, and places the blame on the carriers, and not Samsung. However, its important to look at all the facts in this 'soap opera'. The international line of Samsung Galaxy S phones have already received the 2.2 Froyo update, its only the US version that has not. This tends to point back to a marketing ploy again. Of course, Samsung has recently responded with a complete denial,
    "No. Samsung is not charging carriers for Froyo updates to Galaxy S. We hope to have more detail on status shortly. Promise!"
    Is this a case of a company backpedaling, trying to cover their butts, or is the 'Samsung insider' a fraud? So far, very little info has come out from Samsung, and although the post from The.Samsung.Secret seems legit, there is no reason to assume it is. It could all be made up, or even just a misinterpretation of the facts. Regardless of whether the 'truth' is ever revealed regarding these matters, there are a lot of US Galaxy S owners anxiously waiting for their turn with Froyo. If you are one of those folks, let us know your thoughts in the forums.

Source: Gizmodo and PhoneArena
  2. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    wow....just wow
  3. UNC
    Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    A855/ vPhone4
    That's just some punk kid trying to act special... I can guarantee that.

A real "insider" would've sold his secrets to Gizmodo or another tech site, and showed his credentials to them...

I bet if you could check his IP address, its the same guy that talked about the "class-action suit"...

I'm good at smelling out manure, and this REEKS of it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
    You call me names, I call your Mom!!
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    Samsung obviously has issues with keeping deadlines... do you realize that the Behold 2 got left in the dust. The note from the insider fits perfectly with how they continue to treat their customers. If Samsung REALLY cared about its customers they would contact the carriers and work with them to provide an accurate press release regarding the continued delay.
  5. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1690 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    well samsung has been scratched from my list of potential android devices. Samsung is choking, they had apple on the ropes on at&t network and they are letting them regain their composure. We have seen this happen before in fights when you dont go for the knock out it usually bites you in the end and you wind up getting knocked out or losing the fight.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    D1
    Well this just helps me confirm that the new Samsung LTE device will NOT be my next handset!

7. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1562 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    So somebody opens an account on a developer forum with the handle Samsung Secret makes these claims and people believe it?

Man I can change the world if this is the case : )

Guys and girls look out for our newest member The Prophet from Planet Xion. He is a real prophet and will enlighten the world. No idea why he is choosing our site but im not going to argue.

Sent from my Droid
  8. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus, T-bolt, Droid 2
    Quote Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
    So somebody opens an account on a developer forum with the handle Samsung Secret makes these claims and people believe it?

Man I can change the world if this is the case : )

Guys and girls look out for our newest member The Prophet from Planet Xion. He is a real prophet and will enlighten the world. No idea why he is choosing our site but im not going to argue.

Sent from my Droid
    He sounds like an interesting guywaaaaait a minute

tappin and a talkin
  9. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1690 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Its not that I believe him cuz i dont...but how about samsung nip it in the bud and just explain why they are late on an update for their devices.
  10. UNC
    Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    A855/ vPhone4
    Exactly my thoughts CK.

You call me names, I call your Mom!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links