DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Android Developers Release Chart Showing More than 50% of Android Phones Have Froyo

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2050 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Android Developers Release Chart Showing More than 50% of Android Phones Have Froyo

Here's an informative pie chart from the Android Developers' Blog. It details the amount of Android smartphones with each version of 'Andy's' OS. From the chart we see that now over 50% of Android phones have Froyo. Here's a breakdown of the actual numbers from the chart:
    • Android 1.5 = 4.7%
    • Android 1.6 = 7.9%
    • Android 2.1 = 35.2%
    • Android 2.2 = 51.8%
    • Android 2.3 = 0.4%

It'll be interesting to see what this looks like this same time next year. Will Gingerbread take the place of Froyo on that chart. Let's hope so. How many of you guys have a phone with Froyo?

Source: Android Developers

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OG DROID // HTC Thunderbolt
    Yep, had it before it officially came out thanks to rooting OG Droid here.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    FroYo ova hur. Translation, Android 2.2 oner here.
    DX on something different too often to keep updating my sig!
  5. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedvenom View Post
    Yep, had it before it officially came out thanks to rooting OG Droid here.
    Same here, but I have been bouncing between Froyo and Gingerbread, but mainly Froyo.
    Twisted Inception
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Twitter
    gmorgan056
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Yep had it since it came out!
    Rooted OG D1 running Liquid Gingerbread 2.6, Project Elite v6.5, Droid Concepts 12 and many more!
    Chevy No.1 Low V 1.1 Ghz Kernal

A Droid Bionic evolved into a Rezound which then evolved into a Nexus! Running whatever Rom I'm feeling for the day.

Questions about rooting: http://bit.ly/droot

Sent from my Nexus in a Galaxy far, far away...
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    It is absolutely pathetic that only 51% have Froyo when it's been out (officially) for a good 4-5 months.

And 12%+ of phones to not even have 2.1 is ridiculous. Forced obsolescence, but it's almost criminal that a phone can run the newer OS but no one will support the update.

IMO that goes hand-in-hand with the fragmentation argument, but Google really needs to step-up here and force the hand of the carriers/mfrs. Google needs to take ownership of pushing updates (but with all the mfr UI's out there, maybe that's part of the problem).

Plus you've got tablets in the game now and all this becomes a bigger issue as phones become 3 (or 4 or 5 or whatever) in 1 devices. Google has to realize that if, for one reason or another, the updates aren't being pushed that's a big negative for buyers.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Twitter
    XSYLUS_DEV
    Phone
    DROID 4 Cricket Wireless
    Ever since I put Froyo on my Droid 1 I've noticed more lag in the UI. I recently upgraded to Froyo build 2.2.1 but the lag is still there and even worse sometimes the launcher hangs. The home icons and widgets take 20 to 60 seconds to reappear and the phone doesn't respond to touches on the screen or the buttons. Eventually when I click the app drawer button it will pull up only to show nothing but a black background with no apps. A few minutes later it's back to its normal responsiveness. I don't know why it does this but it's really getting on my nerves. I've tried several ROMs and kernels but I still have the same issues. I've tried a few task managers but they only seem to make it worse. I hope gingerbread is better. Is anyone else experiencing this behavior on the Droid 1 or another phone running Froyo?
    Member #
    Phone
    Fascinate
    Quote Originally Posted by xsylus View Post
    Ever since I put Froyo on my Droid 1 I've noticed more lag in the UI. I recently upgraded to Froyo build 2.2.1 but the lag is still there and even worse sometimes the launcher hangs. The home icons and widgets take 20 to 60 seconds to reappear and the phone doesn't respond to touches on the screen or the buttons. Eventually when I click the app drawer button it will pull up only to show nothing but a black background with no apps. A few minutes later it's back to its normal responsiveness. I don't know why it does this but it's really getting on my nerves. I've tried several ROMs and kernels but I still have the same issues. I've tried a few task managers but they only seem to make it worse. I hope gingerbread is better. Is anyone else experiencing this behavior on the Droid 1 or another phone running Froyo?
    Had the same issue and verizon replaced the phone didnt have that particular issue after that.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Twitter
    XSYLUS_DEV
    Phone
    DROID 4 Cricket Wireless
    Unfortunately getting a replacement phone is not an option. I'm hoping that it's just one or a couple of the apps i have on my phone that are causing issues. I think I'm going to start uninstalling apps that I don't use that much and see if it helps.

Links