DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Galaxy Tab Firmeware Shows Locked Bootloader

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Twitter
    WMPerson
    Phone
    T-mobile G2x
    Premium Member

Galaxy Tab Firmeware Shows Locked Bootloader

Well this is not something we like to see, but it seems the latest leaked ROMs point to Samsung as the next culprits to “let’s not let people hack what they buy” syndrome. These Firmware updates were leaked by Xda member Chainfire, who points out that the software come with a locked down bootloader, which prevents people from loading their Tab up with cooked ROMs.

Here is what Chainfire has to say about this:
    This really applies to other ROMs as well, but the "new" JM6/A/C/D ROMs specifically.

Some of these ROMs include new bootloaders. These bootloaders check checksums/signatures in various parts of the firmwares. The "normal" Samsung ROMs, nor custom ROMs and kernels, have these checksums.

The result is that once flashed, you cannot revert to older/official/custom Samsung ROMs, and you are pretty much stuck using one of these four ROMs, as they are the only ones containing the right checksums.

At least TRIPLE CHECK if you want to flash one of these ROMs, that what you are flashing DOES NOT include the new bootloaders ( boot.bin and sbl.bin ). I know from the CF-Root thread that a fair number of you are already too late, but I thought to warn new users anyways. Some modders (like rotohammer) already usually remove these parts, but still triple check everything to make sure.

There is no known fix. I know, I've tried all of them some people suggested in other threads. None of them really works. Sure, with some effort, you can get a different firmware to somewhat run, but you'll still be using the "checksum" bootloaders and the kernel will not be modified. You will still be running the kernel from the "checksum" firmware you loaded earlier. You will not be able to do full flashes, nor will KIES updates work.

Hopefully somebody will find a real solution for this issue for those already affected. If so, please post it in this thread.
    How does this make you feel? Is it fair for companies to do this?

Spread the word through the web.
    Xda thread: (WARNING! Do not flash jm6/A/C/D/E... Before reading this ! - xda-developers)
    Last edited by WenWM; 12-27-2010 at 10:34 AM.
    There is probable a million things about me that you don't know. Check out my About.me page
    About.me

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Sexxxus
    Its like apple!!! :-o

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    HOKIE
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I was thinking of getting this tab. Should I not get it? Isn't it fast anyways un-rooted?
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Phone
    GSM Note 3, Note 2, Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ry View Post

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    More like Motorola, and their locked encrypted an Booby-Trapped bootloader on the Droid X. Why should we trust companies who operate like this?

-Mike
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelv View Post
    I was thinking of getting this tab. Should I not get it? Isn't it fast anyways un-rooted?
    You can get it, just don't accept any 'auto' update notifications you get one you turn it on until you do your research (or better d/l one of the updates listed above that have the locking files removed).

Yes it's fast stock but the debate is what rights does the consumer have to the devices they purchase, especially here where the device price is not subsidized by the carrier or the manufacturer and you are not bound by a contract containing an User Agreement.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    Quote Originally Posted by KZIWarrior View Post
    You can get it, just don't accept any 'auto' update notifications you get one you turn it on until you do your research (or better d/l one of the updates listed above that have the locking files removed).

Yes it's fast stock but the debate is what rights does the consumer have to the devices they purchase, especially here where the device price is not subsidized by the carrier or the manufacturer and you are not bound by a contract containing a User Agreement.
    Well I was waiting on Gingerbread before getting a Tablet (as least for confirmation of which current tablets would get it) but either way this does not bode well for future devices... Might have to look a a Win7 tablet
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I thought this device was getting GB in the future? What is the deal with these bootloaders. Yea I though Motorola was the only ones who would screw us over. I wanted to get this tab, for one reason because I am sick of Motorola and didn't want to buy their upcoming tab.
  9. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Twitter
    Bazar6
    Phone
    GNex & Xoom & OG Droid
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    This is bull.. I agree:
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ry View Post
    It's like buying a new car but not being able to do anything to it at all. You can't if you're leasing a vehicle, which is understandable, but I'm not leasing a tab, this isn't going to be returned to them. I hope the new Moto Tab isn't going to have something like this....
    Moto Droid 1 : Project Elite v4.2
    HTC Thunderbolt : Sold
    Samsung Droid Charge : Stock
    Moto Xoom Wifi : CM10.1
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus : CM10.2
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    ^Since the Milestone, Droid X, Droid 2, and probably their other current Android phones have locked bootloaders.....its a safe bet that the Moto Tab will have one too....

I was hoping against hope the Milestone and Droid X wasnt the start of a trend with phone manufactures...

Even tho I'm more than satisfied with my X and I dont run any of the ROMs out for it, I do appreciate and recognize the beauty of my Droid 1...
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx HD
    At least if you know up front, you can always decide to not purchase the item....
    C3H6N6O6 + (CH2)8(COOC8H17)2 + C4H8 + C5H8

Droid Razr Maxx HD

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Links