DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [NEW] LG Star/ OPTIMUS 2X Shows Off it's Dual Core muscle!

1. DF News Team
    Member #
    Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
    Liked
    159 times
    Twitter
    DroidNCState
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 3
    Premium Member

[NEW] LG Star/ OPTIMUS 2X Shows Off it's Dual Core muscle!

LG Star could launch as Optimus 2X to emphasize its dual-core processor

Ever since the Samsung Nexus S was officially announced, we have seen a steady stream of LG Star leaks appear on the internets. LG and Samsung are fierce competitors in Korea, so it appears that LG is trying to build up the hype for their dual-core phone to discourage potential customers from picking up the single-core Nexus S.

I’m not sure where the codename Star was first used, but when this dual-core phone hits the states it could go by the name Optimus 2X, according to a new press release from LG. We know that LG really wants to build their Optimus brand (just like Samsung is focused on the Galaxy name), so I think the odds are high that this is the final product name. The “2X” of course refers to the two 1 GHz cores found inside NVIDIA’s Tegra 2 processor.

It is a little harsh to criticize the Nexus S since it hasn’t even hit stores yet, but the three biggest complaints from the hardcore Android crowd is the lack of 4G support, lack of microSD slot, and lack of a dual-core CPU. LG will offer all of those features with the addition of a micro HDMI port and a high performance camera that can capture 1080p video. We don’t know for sure which phone will succeed with customers, but it is pretty clear on paper that LG has the better hardware. Samsung has the upper-hand with software since the Nexus S will launch with Android 2.3, but LG will also be updating their phones to Google’s latest mobile OS so that advantage might be short lived.

The LG Star is likely to launch first in Korea, but we expect to see it land on multiple U.S. carriers in early 2011. We saw that LG’s last Android phone, the Optimus One, came to MetroPCS, Sprint, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular, and Verizon so that gives you a pretty good idea of who could carry the Star. Rumors have suggested it might appear first on T-Mobile and could be in stores around February.

Kevin Krause from Phandroid did a little digging and came up with a handful of videos showing off the Optimus 2X on YouTube. In these new videos we can see the LG phone playing back 1080p video to a big screen TV, displaying Android games on a TV, and a browser comparison with the iPhone 4 and Galaxy S.
    LG has been claiming the Tegra 2 processor offers up to 2x faster web browsing and up to 5x faster gaming performance and some of these early demos are backing that up. We are still reserving judgement till we get a final unit in house to see how it stacks up, but the initial reports we have seen around the web are overwhelmingly positive.

What do you think LG’s chances of success are with the hardcore Android crowd? Can the LG Optimus brand compete with Samsung’s Galaxy lineup of devices?

Source
    Last edited by cereal killer; 12-14-2010 at 03:25 PM.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    OG Motorolla Droid
    Since there seems to be two LG Star threads going, I will re-post this here as well.
    It is a Subtitled version of the leaked Israeli video from a few weeks ago. Some interesting info includes mention of the FFC for videochat. Be sure to hit the CC button on Youtube for the subtitles.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    VZW Note 2
    this phone looks awesome and im praying that it comes to Verizon :P
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Minus the touchwiz theme, this phone has everything one could want, best set of leaked videos from an awesome phone I've seen to date
    CM 6.1.2
    Stock Theme/ADW Launcher
    P3's 1.2ghz LV Kernal
    Quadrant 1709
    Next phone: TBA
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    OG Motorolla Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmart922 View Post
    Minus the touchwiz theme, this phone has everything one could want, best set of leaked videos from an awesome phone I've seen to date
    Yep, it looks like a big winner. Only thing its missing is SAmoled display, I think it just may not need it though. It looks great in these vids.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    OG Motorolla Droid
    Preach2k or CerealKiller, can we merge all these LG Star threads into one megathread please. It will make things less confusing. Especially since we have the official name now (at least for Korea)
    LG Star (SU660) to Be ‘Optimus 2X’ in Korea, More Videos Uncovered | Android Phone Fans

also, more vids
    YouTube - zinna0000's Channel

It looks like the Optimus 2x may beat the Olympus to market, based on the higher level of leaks....
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    This is my next phone if it hits VZW... phone looks amazing.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    I am an Droid 1 owner. I purchased the phone the day it came out so im due for a upgrade.

I will be moving to the first phone on verizon's network with Tegra 2.

LG or Moto..... Does it really matters in the end?

At this point Moto seems to be the better name in android phones but the hardware should speak for it self.
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Yea I like what I see from the Star. HDMI Out like some of the Galaxy S phones: What you see on the phone, you see on the screen. Your phone's display on TV.

That might be the deciding factor for me if everything else is equal or close to equal between the LG and Moto..
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    I'm anxiously waiting to see what Moto has in store before making any rash decisions. This does look like a helluva phone though!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links