DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Android Rollin' with Digital Plastic Cash

1. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Premium Member

Android Rollin' with Digital Plastic Cash

Smart-phones make our lives easier in so many ways. They help us stay connected to family, friends and jobs. They store pictures, music and videos for or personal edification. They give us entertaining games when we are bored and access to the internet when we need information. They pay our bills for us when we are at a coffee shop or restaurant.

Wait.... what was that last one? Yes, you read that right. In many neighborhoods across the globe there are places where your smart-phone becomes a magic wand that you wave in front of a machine to pay for your latte or sandwich. Furthermore, if the many start-up companies that are rolling out this 'not-really new' technology have anything to say about it, it will eventually be in your neighborhood too.

The technology is called near-field communication, or NFC. It is an advanced form of RFID (radio frequency identification), and earlier in November Google demonstrated an Android phone with this technology inside. The NFC chip stores your credit card information and transfers it to the payment processing machine, making the credit and debit cards in your wallet a thing of the past. With this tech, you don't need to sign for anything or even wait for a receipt, because the communication runs two-way. Just before you head out the door a digital receipt is sent back to your phone. If you would like to read more detail about the technology you can check it out here at Howstuffworks.com.

Interestingly, there are some retailers that have been using a form of this concept without the technology of the NFC yet. According to this article from PCWorld.com, there is a company called MobileLime in Boston that allows you to sign up for their service online and link your banking information to your cell phone number. Then at any of the participating retailers in the Boston you can simply phone in your payment before you leave the establishment. According to the same article there is a similar start-up company in Carlsbad, California, called BlackLab Mobile trying out the same thing. Also, in Coral Gables, Florida you can use the same concept to pay for your downtown parking meter payment and even extend its time.

Digging a little deeper we find that, according to Mobilemarketer.com, MasterCard has been experimenting with the technology since 2008! Their mobile wallet service called PayPass, quietly rolled out to test markets in Dallas, TX and is slowly spreading around the country.

Furthermore, according to this article at FoxNews.com, “AT&T, Verizon Wirelesss and T-Mobile recently announced a joint venture called Isis to build a mobile payment network based on an NFC system. The first markets should go live within a year and a half. And Nokia and Google have indicated their new 2011 phones will be compatible with it.”

It seems that our smart-phones may just be poised to eliminate the need for our wallets fairly soon. I've always liked the idea of a cashless society, but it does pose some interesting problems as well. What happens when digital thieves figure out a way to crack the security? Also, for some people, having unfettered access to their bank account at any moment might cause them to overspend their budgets.

Still, it's pretty amazing how an idea born from the 1960's 'Star Trek' is reshaping the world. So what do you guys think? Do you like the idea of your cell phone becoming your wallet? Is it an unstoppably cool idea or a scary technology-train-wreck waiting to happen? Sound off with your perspective in the forums.

By DGStorm
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 1
    I think they do this in Japan already.
    Droid RAZR MAXX/ DROID 2 Global/ DROID 1 with DROID 2 EXTENDED BATTERY (BP7X - 1860 mAh)
    ICS /Stock 2.2/UltimateDroid 1.0.0
    Stock Kernel/ChevyNo1's ULowV 1.25 GHz kernel
  3. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    As long as there is a 100% reliable lock/wipe feature, then bring it on - possibly even fingerprint recognition to activate

4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    we're getting close to the wrist barcodes, like in Idiocracy
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    RAZR
    Personally, I like the idea......

I did not they were using it in the far east somewhere.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Twitter
    gmorgan056
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I think this would be a great idea as long as they can make sure the information is secure.
    Rooted OG D1 running Liquid Gingerbread 2.6, Project Elite v6.5, Droid Concepts 12 and many more!
    Chevy No.1 Low V 1.1 Ghz Kernal

A Droid Bionic evolved into a Rezound which then evolved into a Nexus! Running whatever Rom I'm feeling for the day.

Questions about rooting: http://bit.ly/droot

Sent from my Nexus in a Galaxy far, far away...
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid1 Droid2 Evo4g
    I guess it's better than a microchip in your hand.It's a Brave New World we are heading toward.Google "CASHLESS SOCIETY".
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Twitter
    RyanPm40
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Seems very risky
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus Rooted/Unlocked
    Honestly, I like the idea. In Japan, they've been using a similar (or the same) technology in DoCoMo's Osaifu-Keita (lit. Wallet Mobile). This tech is also integrated with Sony's FeLiCa RFID card which makes the phone function that stores info like a digital wallet. Most cellphones in japan come standard with these and even little kids up to adults use these. I'll include this Wikipedia link so you guys can read more.

Osaifu-Keitai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and for the people who are interested in the said tech and would like to read about Japan's mobile phone culture.

Japanese mobile phone culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers,
    Squinty
    Squinty is running:
    Thunderbolt by HTC ADR6400L
    Rooted S-Off BLACKSOURC3 V2.1 (GingerBread 2.3.5/AOSP) w/Tiamat v1.1.2 Kernel
    DROID Incredible by HTC ADR6300
    Rooted S-Off Unrevoked Stock
    Moto DROID A855 Froyo FRG22D (Rooted via MotoCache's way)
    Froyo 2.2 FRG22D Rooted Stock
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    402 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Yeah, I do all my banking and bills comfortably online, but I don't do anything sensitive on my Droid.

Besides the obvious problem if your phone gets lost or stolen (I suppose using the lock password would buy time), I just don't like the idea of stuff picking off my banking info on a radio frequency.

Don't know if it's real or not (seem like it would be), but NCIS just a week or two ago had a show where a teen was walking down the street with a device stealing this info from people. Encode a blank credit card and boom you're done.

There's also the typical adoption problem - most people aren't that interested until it is convenient most places, and most places won't spend for the tech until there are enough customers wanting the service to justify the expense.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links