DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Rooted Moto Droid 1 about to flash CyanogenMod

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Rooted Moto Droid 1 about to flash CyanogenMod

Ok so I am fairly new to this stuff, but I did manage to successfully root my Moto Droid 1 using Soup or Root 2.06 and have been enjoying it for a couple months now. I have not installed any custom kernels or roms. So far I have downloaded ROM manager and flashed CyanogenMod recovery and backed up my current rom. I have downloaded and have been using SetCPU and have downloaded and been using WIFI tether and everything is working great. I have also downloaded Choose Install Location to move apps to my SD card and moved most of my apps to my SD card. So my question is, what will I gain from flashing a Cyanogen custom ROM (or maybe a different one if there is a better one)? Is it worth the risk? I know the risk is fairly small and I HAVE made a backup of my current rom using rom manager, but not only what will I gain, but what will I lose? If I flash a custom rom, do I lose all my apps and then I have to re-download/re-install everything? I have about a hundred apps on my phone. Would I basically be going back to square one if I flash a custom rom? I do have "My Backup Pro" and have backed up SMS, Call logs etc etc and that backs up apps too, but what happens to my apps when I flash a rom?

Also, what do I need Busybox for and how do I know if I have it installed? I'm not sure if Soup or Root already did that or if that is something I still need to do or if it's something I even need. From reading the forums it seems like I do.

And then one last thing. I'm assuming that because I am rooted, I will no longer be receiving OTA updates from Verizon correct? So what do I do for updates? I would be forced to flash a custom CyanogenMOD rom with the update or some other rom right?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!!!
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    If you've backed up, then there is nothing that you will lose because you can always restore. 1st thing is I'd suggest downloading Titanium Backup for your apps. This can also save your SMS data. Back up everything there as far as your apps and data. Also, if you have a drop box account, you can sync all your back up data there as well via Titanium.

I've played around with a couple of ROMs and tend to only install from some trusted sources. ANYTHING the Cyanogen team does is A+++ work. Built from source with some really cool add ons. Currently I'm using CM6.1 Release Candidate 4. Some cool add on features with it. The Lithium (formerly JRummy + a bunch of others) are a good choice too. Bugless Beast is a good one as well.

Here's the downside. When you change ROMs from Developer to Developer, you typically want to do a complete wipe data/cache before you do the install. This gives you a clean fresh phone without anything lingering from your previous ROM that might bug up your phone. THAT's why you get Titanium backup for your apps. (They have instructions on there website for the best process to back up and restore after wipe). But, typically if you're just going to a new version within the same Developer (e.g. CM6 to CM6.1) you don't have to wipe data/cache, so you normally don't have to restore anything--although AWAYS make a back up before you change to any ROM, within the same dev or not. You never know if the download missed a packet of data or something and causes your phone to flip out. Believe me, I've done some things that made me think I've bricked my phone, but have ALWAYS been able to get back to a previous install.

Other advantages you gain are the various tweaks that various devs do. For example on the CM version I've got now, they've added some cool add ons to the notification pull down bar that lets me toggle Wifi, Bluetooth, Airplane mode, and sync (that's my choices, it's customizable). Plus other nifty add ons like changing colors around, etc. Adding Themes on top of ROMS is pretty cool as well that lets you completely personalize how your phone looks. The best part is, if you get bored, change it. Another advantage of Titanium is you can use that to delete stock apps you don't want (bloatware). Oh, and having CM has a setting that allows you to set up the Apps2SD, so that app you have for that, you wouldn't need.

Honestly, I haven't done enough research to figure out exactly what Busybox does, but I know that with Titanium, it allows you to automatically update (which it tells you to do if you ever have issues backing up/restoring).

You are correct, you will no longer receive OTA updates. But here's the best thing, BECAUSE you are rooted, I can guarantee that you will be able to install a new version of a ROM that will have the updated version of Android (plus whatever goodies they throw in) weeks (if not months) before all your non-rooted buddies. Most of the devs in the Android community are darn good and they're able to find the updates when they leak out and build their ROMs on top of it.

Lastly, I was like you. I waited months before I finally took the plunge and rooted. But once I did, I never looked back. My D1 performs better rooted (even without really overclocking it much).
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Awesome. Thanks so much for your response.

Links