DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is it possible to have apps update through the market?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Exclamation is it possible to have apps update through the market?

i have downloaded a lot of app packs, some free some paid and i installed them via the SD card...With the Droid just getting rooted, wouldn't it be possible to place the apps in the directory where purchased apps go and have them update through the store? Or is there something else involved? becuase my free apps wont update and i dont want to have to delete and reinstall using the store

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Am I incorrect to suggest you read the following link?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...apps-free.html
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    i dont think he is talking about that. if im correct he has downloaded free apps from the net, but the app store doesn't recognize them so if there is an update for them it wont ask to update it. and he is trying to get them to update. he is only asking about the free ones not the paid ones he has.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I guess I was confused by this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupe1911
    i have downloaded a lot of app packs, some free some paid and i installed them via the SD card
    Are there sites that sell apps to be installed via the SDCard? If so that's cool, just never read anything about it. Just trying to keep the forums out of trouble, I've seen things get ugly and sites disappear from a few wrong words.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    download atrackdog from the market, will check all your apps for updates and if there are any in the market it will overwrite them like a normal update. once they have been updated they will track liek normal in the market. if you manage to get paid apps on ur phone legit or not, they will not update since the purchase history isnt there.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by darkrangr View Post
    download atrackdog from the market, will check all your apps for updates and if there are any in the market it will overwrite them like a normal update. once they have been updated they will track liek normal in the market. if you manage to get paid apps on ur phone legit or not, they will not update since the purchase history isnt there.
    this is what i wanted to know...thank you
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    On a side note, why would anyone want to download free apps from the internet (if they are available on the market)?

Wouldn't it be more secure to go through the market? There is risk involved when downloading it from any third party site. You don't know what people might have changed.

If its free and on the market, download it from the market like your suppose to, and you can avoid this problem.

And regarding paid apps, there is no way your going to get them to update from the market if you downloaded them somewhere on the internet. There is a built-in system that checks if your apps are bought from the market, and if you didn't buy it, it won't even show up on your downloads list and you won't get updates for it.

If you download/test a paid app, just spend the 99 cents it probably costs if you enjoy it. Most of the apps on the market are pretty cheap, and its so worth not having to manually search the web for the latest version all the time. I tested PicSay, and after liking it so much I went out and bought it.

So yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if they eventually get the market upgraded to completely disable leaked apps.

Anyway, I'm going to stop writing now, and go checkout some hacking news. Still hoping for a custom rom soon
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Can't you just go to the market, click the menu button, click on your downloads, and then look at your list? Whichever ones need/have updates will be at the top and say Update Available underneath.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Some free apps are released on the developers website early, and sometimes Apps are available to the community as a "thank you" via web forums for free, while they charge a small price in the market for the average user.

for the latter SetCPU comes to mind, .99 on the market, and free from the developer on a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SwordOfWar View Post
    On a side note, why would anyone want to download free apps from the internet (if they are available on the market)?

Wouldn't it be more secure to go through the market? There is risk involved when downloading it from any third party site. You don't know what people might have changed.

If its free and on the market, download it from the market like your suppose to, and you can avoid this problem.

And regarding paid apps, there is no way your going to get them to update from the market if you downloaded them somewhere on the internet. There is a built-in system that checks if your apps are bought from the market, and if you didn't buy it, it won't even show up on your downloads list and you won't get updates for it.

If you download/test a paid app, just spend the 99 cents it probably costs if you enjoy it. Most of the apps on the market are pretty cheap, and its so worth not having to manually search the web for the latest version all the time. I tested PicSay, and after liking it so much I went out and bought it.

So yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if they eventually get the market upgraded to completely disable leaked apps.

Anyway, I'm going to stop writing now, and go checkout some hacking news. Still hoping for a custom rom soon
    http://tinyurl.com/ych6eb5
    Google is your friend!
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhinderoid View Post
    Can't you just go to the market, click the menu button, click on your downloads, and then look at your list? Whichever ones need/have updates will be at the top and say Update Available underneath.
    No. If an app was installed through the SD card it will not show up on the market app even when there are updates to it. Only apps downloaded through the market will show up cause that the only record the market has of what you downloaded. The program atrackdog works great for this. It goes through all your install apps and searches the market for updates and gives you the option of updating through the market. Once you've updated through the market they will start to show up in your downloaded market apps.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links