DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Android 2.1

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID

Android 2.1

Is anyone running android 2.1 on their droids yet? curious to know how risky this is right now.

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Based on my reading online it is not FULLY functional so unless you have an extra DROID I would definitely not do this to my daily phone.
  4. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Phone
    Motor Droid & Droid Eris
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    The comments I have seen mention a landscape issue with the apps drawer due to the Nexus not having a slide out keyboard and therefore the software on it not supporting landscape mode for the home pages. The other issue was something about not being able to turn off notifications (when used with Handscent etc.) and attempting to do cases the app to crash.

Those are the main 2 issues I saw..so far. I am sure there are many more at this VERY early stage of adapting the Nexus version of 2.1 on the Droid.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    The droid is getting the 2.1 update sometime in january or so I heard about from leaked info on HoFo. I think we can hold out until then, no?
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Quickster357 View Post
    The droid is getting the 2.1 update sometime in january or so I heard about from leaked info on HoFo. I think we can hold out until then, no?
    Not for us root users. All future updates are patched to prevent the old root method. For us the only option now is to wait for a custom rom (unless you want to lose your root)...
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordOfWar View Post

Not for us root users. All future updates are patched to prevent the old root method. For us the only option now is to wait for a custom rom (unless you want to lose your root)...
    Do you have a source for this statement? I've heard rumors about this but no strict confirmation.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordOfWar View Post

Do you have a source for this statement? I've heard rumors about this but no strict confirmation.
    It was on a google development page. It was already submitted for review and patched. Any future update past 2.0.1 will have the exploit patched.

I'm too lazy to find it again, but its on the same page from alldroid.org where the guy made the root method. If you read the bottom of his topic post you will see he talks about a vulnerability being patched, with the link to the google development page.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Lies. If you're upgrading, 2.1 has root.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid by Motorola & Droid Eris
    Yes its January 22 is when the ota is going to be pushed maybe even earlier like they did with 2.0.1
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Randomocity View Post
    Lies. If you're upgrading, 2.1 has root.
    [citation needed] :-P

Really, though - are you sure the next update isn't going to take away root access? It's already known that the security hole with updates will be closed up, so that stops us from re-rooting the device using the same method.

The recovery image and leaving backdoors will help some, but there's no promises that the update won't run a script that removes suid bits on all files in /system and reflash the recovery image. Personally, I'm going to wait until somebody else tries it out.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Links