DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arm® Cortex™ A8 processor speeds?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I think what we all really want is full OpenGl 2.0 support within Android so the OS can use the gpu to help speed things up...screen scrolling/transitions etc.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    what does all that mean??? is says in speeds of from 600 to over 1GHz???

Cortex-A8

VFP, NEON, Jazelle RCT, Thumb-2, 13-stage superscalar pipeline variable (L1+L2),
    MMU+TrustZone

up to 2000 (2.0 DMIPS/MHz in speed from 600 MHz to greater than 1 GHz)

Texas Instruments OMAP3xxx series, SBM7000, Oregon State University OSWALD, Gumstix Overo Earth,
    Pandora, Apple iPod touch (3rd Generation), Archos 5, FreeScale i.MX51-SOC,
    BeagleBoard, Apple iPhone 3GS, Motorola Droid, Palm Pre, Samsung i8910, Sony Ericsson Satio,
    Touch Book, Nokia N900, ZiiLABS ZMS-08 system on a chip.
    Last edited by Guchi; 01-20-2010 at 08:39 PM.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Guchi View Post

Cortex-A8

VFP, NEON, Jazelle RCT, Thumb-2, 13-stage superscalar pipeline variable (L1+L2),
    MMU+TrustZone

up to 2000 (2.0 DMIPS/MHz in speed from 600 MHz to greater than 1 GHz)

Texas Instruments OMAP3xxx series, SBM7000, Oregon State University OSWALD, Gumstix Overo Earth,
    Pandora, Apple iPod touch (3rd Generation), Archos 5, FreeScale i.MX51-SOC,
    BeagleBoard, Apple iPhone 3GS, Motorola Droid, Palm Pre, Samsung i8910, Sony Ericsson Satio,
    Touch Book, Nokia N900, ZiiLABS ZMS-08 system on a chip.
    don't read too much into it. the processor designation, "OMAP3xxx series" is a clear indication that there is more than one processor.

Berzerker said it best with the OMAP3430 vs. 3440 comparison.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Fascinate
    TO Everyone Talking about the processor....
    I have had my DROID "overclocked" to 600mhz since it was made available. Im on the web and playin games almost all day, and with the ability to use profiles to reduce the clock speed during sleep mode and when the battery drops to a certain level (i have mine set to drop to 550mhz max, 125min at < 30%). I have noticed an extended (slightly) battery life, with the ability to drop the clock speed to 125mhz when not doing anything with the phone, while also noticing a decent speed improvement (although not mindblowing). App loading is really the only thing affected, as games like Quake and Polarbit games may have a slight increase in speed, but mainly what I have noticed is less choppy screen transition and Maps loads quicker lol and about people talking about it being hot, I dont know where that is coming from, as it never gets "hot" for me, only luke warm.

All in all I'm not a processor genius, all I have is my 3 week+ experience with it, and overall I would suggest to get it IF you make use of different profiles offered in SetCPU from the Market.

As a reference my SetCPU is set to set on boot, profiles on with: on charge set to 600max 125min Sleep/Standby: 125max 125min Battery < 30% 550max 125min and my main slider on top of the main screen are both set to 600mhz.
  5. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Guchi View Post

It means that the architecture that processor is based on is capable of running up to 1ghz, not that it will. In other words the core it is based on. There can be many different processor models based on that core that run at different clock speeds. See the engine analogy below to put it into a better perspective.

There are a lot of different steps involved in the manufacturing of processors. Many CPU manufacturers will take a particular processor architecture that is capable of running up to a certain speed but they will cripple it, for lack of a better term, into running at slower speeds/efficiency. They do that little trick mostly for marketing reasons though.

A real life example would be cars, although not the best analogy. A "standard" V8 engine, we'll say a 302 (5.0L) COULD make five or six hundred HP but that doesn't mean every 302 will, just that they are capable of it.

My personal experience is limited to desktop cpu overclocking but my opinion is that while it may be possible to get it to run at 1ghz I can't really see it happening. For those kinds of increases in clock speed there is normally voltage increases that are needed which leads to more heat which would become another hurdle to overcome.

As for overclocking it from 550 to 600 I doubt there is any significant real world performance to be gained. If there was an app to benchmark cpu performance you'd be able to see that the results would barely be worth the effort.
    Last edited by killabyte; 01-21-2010 at 12:20 PM.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Well this thread was brought back from the dead!
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by JhankG View Post
    Well this thread was brought back from the dead!
    Yes... people just dont like to see threads die. Its just so sad to see something die.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    The droid runs perfect and stable clocked at 600mhz. Battery life is still good and heat isn't a problem either. Would be interesting to see it clocked higher...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arm® Cortex™ A8 processor speeds?-device3.png  
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Rooted Droid 2.0.1

Overclocked @ 1.2

I have had my Droid over clocked at 1.2 Ghz for about a week now. The only time the temperature spikes is when it's charging or I'm multitasking like there is no tomorrow. I'm using SetCPU, so, I have my profiles set to combat this.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by nicDroid View Post
    I have had my Droid over clocked at 1.2 Ghz for about a week now. The only time the temperature spikes is when it's charging or I'm multitasking like there is no tomorrow. I'm using SetCPU, so, I have my profiles set to combat this.
    Really?

People let this thread die, its been known for a while that we can go up to 1.3GHz already.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links