DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The desc.txt for boot animations works like this

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Exclamation The desc.txt for boot animations works like this

Ok,
    After looking through the bootanimation.zip, I was able to map it and overcome alot of the inefficiencies that exist in the process we use to modify boot animations by simplifying the bootanimation.zip to 1 folder and only the pictures needed for your loop.

When we open the bootanimation.zip, it is obvious that there is a folder which holds png's and a text file which controls the behavior of the aforementioned png's. A lot of people have been hypothesizing what these configurations do, and after reading what they have tried I made my own effort and quiet easily mastered the file structure and desc text file. I will explain here how it works.

When you open desc.txt it displays only one line of code
    Code:
     480 427 30p 1 0 part0p 0 10 part1
    But if you copy and paste it into another text editor the code comes out looking like this
    Code:
    480 427 30
    p 1 0 part0
    p 0 10 part1

This format is the way the code should actually be read and can be broken down like this

480= width/height
    427=width/height
    30=frames per second
    p= not exactly sure, but I think it's just a pointer for the previous line to this line of code
    1= times to be replayed (0=infinite)
    10 = pause If pause = 10, it will show the last frame and then sleep 10/fps seconds before continuing with the animation. (Thank you aequitas from alldroid forums!)
    part0=folder name

With this in mind, I tried deleting both; the last line of code, and the part1 folder. This made sense to me because droid gave us 2 logical boot animations and if we only wanted a loop of one logical animation than why make a duplicate just to host in another folder and take space?

Next thing I looked at was the names of the png's. The First notable thing is they have a uniform, ascending filename structure, which correlates to the order they are to be played in. The first one starts with 480_427_00000.png. Looking at this it was obvious to me that that the first part, 480_427 was arbitrary because it relates to the first line fo the desc.txt, and the boot animations still work regardless if they match or not. While I havenít tried yet, I feel it is safe to assume that they can be simplified to their 5 digit numerical filename if one so wished.

Armed with this I realized that our future boot animations only will only require 1 folder (part0) and the desc.text only needs 2 lines of code.
    Code:
    480 480 10
    p 0 11 part0

Furthermore, as a result of deleting png's it was realized that the folder sizes are only limited by the 5 bit filename which leaves the possibility of storing 9,765,625 images since 5^10=9,765,625.

This is what I was able to figure out and I hope you guys are able to make some better stuff than me with the knowledge. Enjoy
    Last edited by csmith197; 12-15-2009 at 05:41 PM.
    YAY walk-throughs!
    An excellent post has been written on how to use ADB. I recommend people follow that post before attempting my methods.
    How To Use ADB: All Commands and Options
    Complete How-To Root, Busybox, Flash/Recovery, Framework-res.apk, custom boot ani...
    Complete Comprehensive Tutorial on Custom Boot Animations

3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by csmith197 View Post
    storing 9,765,625 images
    Might have to get popcorn to watch that.....

Great Work!
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Cool read.

Wouldn't you be able to name the pngs anything you want as long as they are in numerical order? Also, it should be noted that the reason Motorola used 2 folders was so that one part of the animation would run once and the second part would loop.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Thank you. I haven't tried using more or less than 5 digits, but theoretically as long as they are in order then it should work
    YAY walk-throughs!
    An excellent post has been written on how to use ADB. I recommend people follow that post before attempting my methods.
    Complete How-To Root, Busybox, Flash/Recovery, Framework-res.apk, custom boot ani...
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    ::edited to reflect that 10 = pause If pause = 10, it will show the last frame and then sleep 10/fps seconds before continuing with the animation. ::
    YAY walk-throughs!
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    It would be really cool to change my company logo and name with the Droid text. Anyone know of a software to let me generate images froma movie? Lol
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerozix View Post
    It would be really cool to change my company logo and name with the Droid text. Anyone know of a software to let me generate images froma movie? Lol
    FFMpeg can do it. Check out this little guide:

How-To: Extract images from a video file using FFmpeg - Stream #0

I've found that the "-f image2" option causes problems and isn't needed on my computer.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Yep, FFMpeg ftw. I'm working on a bash script for linux that will start with a video, run it through ffmpeg to get the images, create a desc.txt and package it all up for the Droid. It also has the capability to use youtube-dl to source the video from youtube. Once the script is cleaned up a bit (probably a couple days from now) I will make it available on request.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Thats sounds cool. I will definitely want to check that out.
    YAY walk-throughs!
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto DROID
    Bringing this back to ask a question i hope hasnt been asked... i currently use 2 folders, part0 and part1, is there a way to slow the frame rate down when it plays part0 and not part1?? or is the frame rate set for the entire animation? i suppose i could add some duplicate frames in there to slow it down but i was wondering if this is possible so i dont need to do all that work (my boot animation has over 100 png's)

THANKS!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links