DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: PC Terminal emulator, GUI?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

PC Terminal emulator, GUI?

So, I've rooted the Droid, and I've been using Better Terminal Emulator Pro on my Droid to do things like put in the transparent notificaiton bar, a new boot screen. But it's getting kinda tedious to type it out on the Droid when I could move so much faster on a PC keyboard.

Is there a way besides the command prompt? Is there some sort of GUI that makes it more user friendly? Or is there a way to shortcut the constant mount -o rw,remount stuff?

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    use adb shell and you can copy n paste command if you got them saved in a text file on a pc its i dont experiment with linux commands as i am learning and no way to unbrick yet so i usually wait for someone or ask what commands i need to type to do the job and i copy n paste lines in if and when i can....exception being when im using a different directory as someone else.........easiest way for me anyways and many thanks to everyone whos posted commands for me to get the job done or have posted screenshots for us to see.
    What happens on the road stays on the road

Current releases: "Midnight Droid" bootanimations
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...animation.html

"True Blue" aka I.C.E metamorph theme set
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...c-e-tdawg.html
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Agreed, I do most of my work through adb shell because it gives me the use of a full size keyboard.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    i dont like the terminals on droid. Reason being such a hi res screen and small font and one or two of the emulators the cursor block hides over the last letter u typed example i type cd /system/bin i see on the screen cd/system/bi the n is covered by blinking cursor and in some case a comma or period is not seen till i type 2 or 3 more characters

6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    I will third the above. I use adb shell from SDK, and I can copy and paste the commands from a text or pdf file. What I have been doing is pdfing everything that I have done, and that I can lay my hands on. Still trying to figiure out a decent scripting method....

But, one thing about going through terminal on the phone for me is it has enhanced my droid keyboard typing skills. But then I do not text, so any help I can give myself is good.

Craig
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    Quote Originally Posted by tdawg5480 View Post
    i dont like the terminals on droid. Reason being such a hi res screen and small font and one or two of the emulators the cursor block hides over the last letter u typed example i type cd /system/bin i see on the screen cd/system/bi the n is covered by blinking cursor and in some case a comma or period is not seen till i type 2 or 3 more characters
    Tdawg,

Sorry if this is obvious to you, but with Terminal Emulator I go into the menu screen and can change the font size up to 20 pts, I think. No problems with not seeing characters other than line wrap. Plus I can select the background/text color.

Craig
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear in NM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tdawg5480 View Post
    Tdawg,

Sorry if this is obvious to you, but with Terminal Emulator I go into the menu screen and can change the font size up to 20 pts, I think. No problems with not seeing characters other than line wrap. Plus I can select the background/text color.

Craig
    thx I have no clue how i missed that i feel dumb, well my excuse now isnmy big thumbs and droids keyboard....I stand corrected.....partially

9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    Tdawg,

I am with you man, it took me a while to snap to the fact that just because it was terminal, I should try pressing the menu button to see what might be there. Those little fonts actaully caused me to downlaod SDK and adb before I had my v-8 moment. And, I cannot tell you how many times I go for the alt key to get numbers and end up "searching". And my thumbs are not all that fat.........

Craig
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    I like adb, but is there a way to get a better, more fully featured shell on the PC to access your Droid? For example, auto-complete of filenames using tab is non-existent on adb. And the command line doesn't tell you what folder you're running from. Little things like that that are in cmd or cygwin.

Links