DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Barebones Rom?

Member #
    Twitter
    Anti-Twitter
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Barebones Rom?

Simple question...is there a Rom that has bare items in it? I'm talking about just the basic basic essentials that makes the stock rom look like a joke. Something that doesn't contain ringtones, music files, just the bare items to keep the rom going: basic phone, basic texting, etc. and no added items like facebook, twitter, etc. No added scripts, features, yada yada yada.

If none like this exists, then does anyone know what is safe to remove from a stock rom and what needs to stay? I'm looking into making my own personal rom (and maybe one I can share with you all) that I can play with as far as adding and removing items while maintaining max storage space on the phone itself. Thanks for any help provided!
  2. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    I'm not aware of any "barebones" roms. My sense is that most folks root in order to install a rom that has more bells and whistles than the stock.

I believe that you can remove almost any of the features (apps). I would make a backup first.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike
    Forgive your enemies it messes with their minds!
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    BTGGTR1
    Phone
    Droid X
    I think you may want to check out Chevycam94's Steel Droid v1.3.1 Minimalist if you want a bare-bones Rom. It's on Rom Manager.
    Member #
    Twitter
    Anti-Twitter
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    I'm not aware of any "barebones" roms. My sense is that most folks root in order to install a rom that has more bells and whistles than the stock.

I believe that you can remove almost any of the features (apps). I would make a backup first.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike
    When I first rooted, yes, that was the idea for me. However, after messing around with a few roms I've come to the conclusion that, for me, simple is better. I want to really customize something from the ground up without creating a new rom (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by leonozug
    I think you may want to check out Chevycam94's Steel Droid v1.3.1 Minimalist if you want a bare-bones Rom. It's on Rom Manager.
    Thanks, I will look into it now!

If anyone knows what files are safe to remove w/o damaging the core features of the phone, please, let me know what you know? Thank you again all!
  5. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Thanks for the follow up. I'm sure that you will be able to reconfigure or build you own rom. If you have really detailed/technical questions post in the developers section where others may assist.

Good luck!
    Member #
    Twitter
    Anti-Twitter
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Thanks for the follow up. I'm sure that you will be able to reconfigure or build you own rom. If you have really detailed/technical questions post in the developers section where others may assist.

Good luck!
    That is what makes me a (proud) newb! I didn't think to look in that section...but, since I want to make the move and research how to make my own rom in the future, I will begin by reading what others say, failed, succeeded, and accomplished. Off to developers land!!!
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by rivera82falcon View Post

If anyone knows what files are safe to remove w/o damaging the core features of the phone, please, let me know what you know? Thank you again all!
    You might want to check out the barebones section on the CyanogenMod.com WiKi... it has some pretty good info.

Good luck -
    Member #
    Twitter
    Anti-Twitter
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by leonozug View Post
    Wow...this rom is definitely at the minimum!!! Thank you for recommending this one...at great starting place I believe providing my applications don't reinstall like its doing now lol.

@ burgeke: I'll look at that now. Thank you!
  9. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member

Thanks for the tip! I truly did not realize that anyone had created a "bare bones" rom.
    Member #
    Twitter
    Anti-Twitter
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Thanks for the tip! I truly did not realize that anyone had created a "bare bones" rom.
    Applications on it are:

Browser
    Camera
    Contacts
    FileManager
    Gallery
    Market
    Messaging
    Music Mod
    Phone
    Settings
    Superuser

Thats all thats on it from what I can see. No scripts, no kernels, nothing special...just a super slimmed vanilla version of a stock rom.

If I were to download an alternate version of lets say the messaging service, is it safe to delete the original one or do I need to keep the stock items?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links