DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Issue with Internal Phone Storage

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Issue with Internal Phone Storage

Good evening,
    I have had an issue twice now with my internal phone storage. I flashed BB .5 and got the phone storage running low error and got it again today when I flashed UD 1.0. I have all my apps on my SD card and I still have only:

29.42 of free space

I wipe Cache/Data 5 times prior to any flash. Does anyone have any idea why my storage is so maxed out?

Has anyone else had this issue?

Any recommended solutions?

Thanks in advance!
    ULTIMATE DROID
    Chevy 1.25 ULV
    WATERMARK'd

Follow me on Twitter @DMV11982
    Request me on FACEBOOK

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    My /system storage is 6.45MB/140MB free. I was wondering why it was so low as well. Have yet to get any warnings, but would like to free up some space as well.

My other ones seem fine,|
    /data is 187MB/262MB free;
    /cache is 50.86MB/92.62MB free; and
    sd card is 12.42GB/14.83GB free.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by _jroid View Post
    My /system storage is 6.45MB/140MB free. I was wondering why it was so low as well. Have yet to get any warnings, but would like to free up some space as well.

My other ones seem fine,|
    /data is 187MB/262MB free;
    /cache is 50.86MB/92.62MB free; and
    sd card is 12.42GB/14.83GB free.
    /system can be full and it doesn't cause any problems. Apps are moved into /system intentionally to give you extra space on /data for downloaded apps. Android won't warn you about /system getting full, because no apps write to /system, and in normal use, /system won't change (In fact, it's mounted as read-only, so you can't write to it unless you are intentionally doing so using root access).

You will get warnings about /data being full, however. That's where your downloaded apps install to. For the OP - After you install, Google starts downloading all the apps you had installed and installs them on /data. Try removing a couple apps (or moving them to SD) and you should see the warning go away as soon as you get past around 30-32MB free or so.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
    /system can be full and it doesn't cause any problems. Apps are moved into /system intentionally to give you extra space on /data for downloaded apps. Android won't warn you about /system getting full, because no apps write to /system, and in normal use, /system won't change (In fact, it's mounted as read-only, so you can't write to it unless you are intentionally doing so using root access).

You will get warnings about /data being full, however. That's where your downloaded apps install to. For the OP - After you install, Google starts downloading all the apps you had installed and installs them on /data. Try removing a couple apps (or moving them to SD) and you should see the warning go away as soon as you get past around 30-32MB free or so.
    Awesome, Thank you. That makes more sense. I'm good then.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    All of my apps are already on my SD card...what else could be eating up so much space?!
    ULTIMATE DROID
    Chevy 1.25 ULV
    WATERMARK'd

Follow me on Twitter @DMV11982
    Request me on FACEBOOK
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by HarleyDad09 View Post
    All of my apps are already on my SD card...what else could be eating up so much space?!
    With the Froyo method of apps to sd (apps2fat is a good name for it, I guess?) the apps are only PARTLY stored on the SD card. They still can take up quite a bit of space on the /data partition. Flash for example is 12MB, but when stored on SD still takes up 8MB of /data.

To check how much space you are using, open up Terminal Emulator (install from market if you don't have it).
    Code:
    cd /data
    du -d 1 -h
    That will list how much space is being taken up by each directory under /data. You should expect to see a lot in app, data, and dalvik-cache

app is where the apk files are physically stored. data is where applications store their data. (emails, text messages, etc). dalvik-cache is where android stores an optimized version of the package for fast execution. This directory is auto-generated on boot.

You can go into any of those directories to see what space is being taken up by what application by a similar method:
    Code:
    cd /data/app
    du -d1 -a -h
    Or you can look at the list of apk files in order of ascending size. You'll see the largest packages at the bottom:
    Code:
    ls -trsSh
    Now for the /data/data directory:
    Code:
    cd /data/data
    du -d 1 -h
    Most applications don't store more than a mb, but if you have a lot of apps, it adds up. On my droid:

Browser uses 10mb
    Adobe Air uses 11mb
    Google Earth uses 15mb
    Tango uses 8mb
    Adobe Flash Player uses 8mb
    Facebook uses 5mb

Droid is VERY limited on /data space (268mb total). If my system is any indication, the dalvik-cache directory will be around 30% of the size of the installed apks and the associated data will be around 50%. When the free space drops to below 30mb, you get that warning. Doing the quick estimate, that means 268 = X + 0.5X + 0.3X + 30 -> X ~= 120mb

Until apps2sdext becomes more mainstream in Froyo roms, you're pretty much stuck with "install fewer apps". as the only option for clearing up space.

apps2sdext uses a second partition on your SD card to actually replace /data with a larger storage space. It is not currently very mature on Froyo ROMs, so I wouldn't recommend trying it, yet, until the bugs are worked out.
    (using a partition on the SD card to ACTUALLY replace the /data partition)
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    Great post 7, and I would only add that to use the coomands on my terminal I had to SU first. Perhaps obvious.

I have followed your other thread on your memory exploits with ext, and I think the term "mature" might be generous on your part.....

Thanks again,

Craig
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear in NM View Post
    Great post 7, and I would only add that to use the coomands on my terminal I had to SU first. Perhaps obvious.
    Oh, right. I set up my Terminal Emulator to start up with root. I just changed "System Shell" in the preferences to be "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash".

I have followed your other thread on your memory exploits with ext, and I think the term "mature" might be generous on your part.....
    Haha, yeah, it's been a bit of a headache, but I suspect that when it makes it into CM, it'll be more robust. It really does work well (fast, functional), it just sometimes needs a bit of a kick to get it to mount /sd-ext and load the apps. I currently have 204MB of apps installed (plus 105MB of data, 60mb of cache) and I couldn't be happier not having to decide what to delete every time another large app comes out that I want to play with.
    Cool CM Tricks
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)

It would be nice to know CM is working on this. While I had to dump CM for other reasons, I keep checking back on their progress. While running it, I did manage to muddle through compcache, and found that it was pretty nice for dealing with redraws, etc. Your other exploits to get it working in CM looked a "tad" more complex than compcache. I am not quite to out of memory problems yet, but if I keep my phone much longer it is only a question of when not if.

Craig

Links