DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to Rooting, Some Questions

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic

New to Rooting, Some Questions

Hi,
    I have had my droid since December and I just decided to actually root. I am familiar with all the terminology and such I think. I got the whole rooting process down and finished that I have superuser access and I have made a backup with clockwork. My question now is installing a rom. I have read numerous guides on them. I dont know where I am going wrong. I first tried installing black glass from his website and it booted up but none of the system apps were there and I had no service, no settings, etc. Now I am trying Ultimadedroid and I am getting a boot loop on the ultimate droid screen. It could be I am not doing a factory reset? When I do that does it delete everything on my sd card? Does it mess with my recovery image? Is there a special way to keep things when doing a reset? Then what is the difference with a kernel and a rom? Do you need one to have the other. I have read numerous threads on this but I have not found a definite answer. So just looking for some direct feedback. I appreciate all and any help.
    Thanks
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid
    Try installing ultimate droid threw recovery instead of rom manager but before you do that wipe your data and cache(this is done inside of recovery). This is different than a factory reset which isn't necessary. You must have a ROM to have a kernel. The ROM is basically everything about your phone what the kernel does is controls how it acts with hardware. Kernels control the speed at which your phone runs and its voltage.
  3. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    Tallica21
    Phone
    GSIII-Rooted
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdude6227 View Post
    Hi,
    I have had my droid since December and I just decided to actually root. I am familiar with all the terminology and such I think. I got the whole rooting process down and finished that I have superuser access and I have made a backup with clockwork. My question now is installing a rom. I have read numerous guides on them. I dont know where I am going wrong. I first tried installing black glass from his website and it booted up but none of the system apps were there and I had no service, no settings, etc. Now I am trying Ultimadedroid and I am getting a boot loop on the ultimate droid screen. It could be I am not doing a factory reset? When I do that does it delete everything on my sd card? Does it mess with my recovery image? Is there a special way to keep things when doing a reset? Then what is the difference with a kernel and a rom? Do you need one to have the other. I have read numerous threads on this but I have not found a definite answer. So just looking for some direct feedback. I appreciate all and any help.
    Thanks
    Ok, So yes you need to wipe Data and Cache before installing a new ROM. Wiping will not touch your sd card or recovery image. Black Glass is a theme not a ROM. You can backup and restore your apps with titanium backup from the market. Roms are the OS, kernels are to control the cpu, and themes change the visuals of the ROM. All ROMs come with a kernel, but you can always try a faster one.

Check out link 1 in my sig for more info.
  4. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    TBOLT / Charge
    Premium Member
    If you are using ClockworkMod as your recovery (which if I read your post correctly that is what you said) then you cannot install UltimateDroid. UD requires that you run SPRecovery to install it. That is easy to fix but a bit confusing to a new rooted person.

So if you are wanting to run UD here are the instructions you will need. First you have to flash SPRecovery. Go to ROM Manager, scroll down to the bottom and Flash Alternate Recovery (SPRecovery 0.99). You may have to flash back and forth between SPR and ClockworkMod to get it to take. Mount your droid to your computer, download UD8 and place it on the root of your sd card (do not put it in any folders). Rename UD8 to "update". unmount your droid. Boot into recovery (make sure your recovery says SPR not CWM) Make a nandroid backup first, then wipe data and cache, then install, click allow install update, then install update from sd card. Once finished reboot droid and you should be good to go.

If you are wanting to stay with CWM for now, then choose another ROM that allows for installation through ClockworkMod and follow the developer's instructions for installation.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by dlwhtrose View Post
    If you are using ClockworkMod as your recovery (which if I read your post correctly that is what you said) then you cannot install UltimateDroid. UD requires that you run SPRecovery to install it. That is easy to fix but a bit confusing to a new rooted person.
    Many people have flashed UD threw clockwork including me and not had any problems.
  6. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    TBOLT / Charge
    Premium Member
    Wow, I am glad that it worked for you. I use CWM all the time and was not able to flash UD8 with CWM. I had to flash over to SPR to get it to load correctly and that is what the developer says you have to do in order to flash his rom. That is why I posted those instructions so that no one else had the issues I had.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Wow this is great. Thanks for all the help guys. All my questions were answered. I will let you know how things go.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Alright guys I got it all working. I installed it with SPF recovery and used titanium backup so all my apps and settings are back. Things are working great im excited. I'm looking forward to learning more about all of this and getting involved in the community of rooting more. I'm taking an IT Infrastructure class at school that is all done in the linux terminal so hopefully some of that knowledge can transfer over. Thanks for all your help. Anymore suggestions you have for me being new to rooting please let me know.
  9. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    Tallica21
    Phone
    GSIII-Rooted
    Premium Member
    Glad you got it, and someone is always here to help if you have any questions
  10. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    826 times
    Twitter
    guidot42
    Phone
    i605/i9250/i515/XT862/A855
    Premium Member
    Glad you made it to the dark side.

If you find a rom you like play with it for a while. I'm 7 weeks in, on my second rom.

Always something to do! It's like a new phone!

-Droid Does

1.Need to Flash a ROM? - Flashing ROM - Best Practices
    2.How-To Setup a ROM/MOD/Theme Thread with prefix - Setup ROM/MOD/Theme Thread
    3.Guidelines of Conduct on Droidforums.net - Guidelines of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links