DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: autostarts question

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

autostarts question

I successfully rooted my Droid today but not with the superuser app (frankly I'm a little unclear on the distinction). I want to modify the autostart programs and I know renaming them is an option, but people have mentioned using the Autostart app. Pardon my noobness, but is this the Autostart app that requires creating the script file? Could someone help me out with what the basic commands are to create that script, or point me in the right direction?

I'm extremely interested in learning, but I don't quite know where to start. Thanks!
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid... duh. :-P
    I suggest rooting w/ the superuser app. Better security. Let's you control what apps have access to root.
    Autostarts software (available on the market) allows you to modify the programs that start up on boot. Or many other instances. No scripting required. However, I must warn it is a bit buggy for some people on the droid. (I had trouble with it too)
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    Might start here, Android Scripting Environment. Hope the link works.

http://http://www.googlelabs.com/sho...E1vZGVsGKWdNgw

This might be sledge hammer for driving a thumbtack approach to what you want to do, but I decided to start with this program as I hope it will help me learn and understand.

Craig
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Thanks Freeloader and Bear. I rerooted with the superuser patch so I'm good to go on that. As far as apps accessing root, there are only two I've seen so far. One is the terminal, but the other pops up first thing after the phone loads upon reboot. Is this something to do with the root hack? Is there a list somewhere of the App numbers and what they belong to?

I'm still thinking about the autostart prog, but I'll probably rename them .baks instead. Thanks again for the advice and the link.

Links