DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Easy root instructions

  1. Senior Droid
    joshua117's Avatar
    Member #
    13263
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    210
    Phone
    Droid X
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by andjarnic View Post
    Why would you want to root Android anyway? It's already pretty dang capable and open, far more than iPhone. I see why iPhone does it, but Android has no limitations of apps (barring the extreme obscene)... short of being a linux/google techie who wants to update their phone OS every time there is a new build each night, I don't see the purpose in doing this.
    Couldn't agree more, thats why I have yet to do it to my phone. Although using root you might be able to get apps to run off the sd card (again don't see the need, but to each his own)

    Oh and the linux/google techie thing (well maybe, a little true) but don't act like you weren't drooling over the 2.1 update just like the rest of us. lol
  2. Senior Droid
    romeov's Avatar
    Member #
    501
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    229
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua117 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andjarnic View Post
    Why would you want to root Android anyway? It's already pretty dang capable and open, far more than iPhone. I see why iPhone does it, but Android has no limitations of apps (barring the extreme obscene)... short of being a linux/google techie who wants to update their phone OS every time there is a new build each night, I don't see the purpose in doing this.
    Couldn't agree more, thats why I have yet to do it to my phone. Although using root you might be able to get apps to run off the sd card (again don't see the need, but to each his own)

    Oh and the linux/google techie thing (well maybe, a little true) but don't act like you weren't drooling over the 2.1 update just like the rest of us. lol
    I can't wait to see if you guys say this when a cyanogen rom gets released for the droid, and the rest of us are running the full sense ui, apps2sd, built in full tethering, with unecessary startup apps removed, new ones added, with the best droid tweaks the mod community could come up with all integrated, running faster and smoother than ever with system tweaks.

    I totally agree with people who have no need for rooting, more power to you, but the droid was rooted less than a week ago, right now the only cool thing to do is run rootable apps from the market. Wait till all the new droid specific root apps start popping up that enhance your phone way more than is currently possible, and then when the custom roms start popping up, and you can get the best of all android apps, the best ui, and the absolute best customization and I will be interested to see if you're still completely uninterested.

    And yes, android is open source, but that is not at all the same as having root access. Not even close. All rooting does is give you full administrative access to every part of your phone os. So you can do as little or as much to it you like. Right now, you have control over your apps and basic android settings, that's it. And no, I'm not a linux techie
  3. Junior Droid
    The Alabama Hamma's Avatar
    Member #
    1442
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    23
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    #13
    i cant figure out why I am not getting the same hash. When I run the md5 checksum I get a different one than the one on your description. help!!!!!
  4. Senior Droid
    joshua117's Avatar
    Member #
    13263
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    210
    Phone
    Droid X
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by romeov View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua117 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andjarnic View Post
    Why would you want to root Android anyway? It's already pretty dang capable and open, far more than iPhone. I see why iPhone does it, but Android has no limitations of apps (barring the extreme obscene)... short of being a linux/google techie who wants to update their phone OS every time there is a new build each night, I don't see the purpose in doing this.
    Couldn't agree more, thats why I have yet to do it to my phone. Although using root you might be able to get apps to run off the sd card (again don't see the need, but to each his own)

    Oh and the linux/google techie thing (well maybe, a little true) but don't act like you weren't drooling over the 2.1 update just like the rest of us. lol
    I can't wait to see if you guys say this when a cyanogen rom gets released for the droid, and the rest of us are running the full sense ui, apps2sd, built in full tethering, with unecessary startup apps removed, new ones added, with the best droid tweaks the mod community could come up with all integrated, running faster and smoother than ever with system tweaks.

    I totally agree with people who have no need for rooting, more power to you, but the droid was rooted less than a week ago, right now the only cool thing to do is run rootable apps from the market. Wait till all the new droid specific root apps start popping up that enhance your phone way more than is currently possible, and then when the custom roms start popping up, and you can get the best of all android apps, the best ui, and the absolute best customization and I will be interested to see if you're still completely uninterested.

    And yes, android is open source, but that is not at all the same as having root access. Not even close. All rooting does is give you full administrative access to every part of your phone os. So you can do as little or as much to it you like. Right now, you have control over your apps and basic android settings, that's it. And no, I'm not a linux techie
    I am very much aware of all of these things and the advantages of rooting. Trust me I don't like restrictions on my privileges anymore than the next guy (work on linux for years and then try to fix a friends vista computer you have no real privileges) I'm just saying as of right now I see no reason to root my phone, in the future perhaps. And as much of a fan as I am of rooting, I do believe that there are those users out there that have no need or business doing this to their phones. They just want the phone to do what its advertised to do, and they don't really care about anything else.
    “The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it will be”
  5. Master Droid
    Aaron636r's Avatar
    Member #
    4877
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    So California
    Posts
    403
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid X & XOOM
    #15
    Guess im not as good as i thought I was. I cant seem to grasp the concept of how this is done
  6. Junior Droid
    rietherll's Avatar
    Member #
    7440
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    13
    Phone
    Verizon Morotola Droid
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by qoncept View Post
    I've created some simple, clear and easy to follow instructions for rooting the Droid. None of the guides I found were written very well so I thought I'd try to make it as easy as possible.

    The wiki the instruction are on is under construction, so nevermind the mess everywhere else.

    Gaining root access - Droidipedia
    I followed the instructions to the letter, and when i try to run the update file, it aborts the update... somthing about the FOD???? please help!!!
  7. DF News Team
    wuyanks's Avatar
    Member #
    800
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,404
    Phone
    Moto DROID !!!
    Premium Member
    #17
    rietherll: you probably are one of the "update.zip.zip" people... make sure you have extensions enabled in Windows.
  8. Junior Droid
    rietherll's Avatar
    Member #
    7440
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    13
    Phone
    Verizon Morotola Droid
    #18
    OK, now it is telling me that the signature legenth does not match the EOCD marker... Suggestions Please!!!!!
  9. Senior Droid
    dudeitsmattx's Avatar
    Member #
    14625
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    160
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    #19
    The superuser permissions app/icon does it do anything? Cuz after I did the root that icon is in my menu but when I open it there's nothing its just a black screen..
  10. Junior Droid
    rietherll's Avatar
    Member #
    7440
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    13
    Phone
    Verizon Morotola Droid
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by rietherll View Post
    OK, now it is telling me that the signature legenth does not match the EOCD marker... Suggestions Please!!!!!
    Can anyone please help me????
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Panda home Instructions
    By mrpbjnance in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-18-2010, 12:35 PM
  2. Manual Reset Instructions
    By 96BeaSSt in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-19-2009, 05:34 PM
  3. Question about GDE...Instructions?
    By aaf709 in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-04-2009, 02:08 PM
  4. Easy pausing?
    By rlb in forum Android Audio and Video
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-10-2009, 01:33 PM
  5. Unfinished sholes manual shows instructions for inserting a sim card. GSM for USA?
    By shatteredzman in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-02-2009, 04:53 AM

Search tags for this page

droid easy root
,

droid instructions

,
droid instructions easy
,
droid x easy root
,
droid x root instructions
,

easy root droid

,
easy root for motorola droid
,
easy root instructions
,
easyrootinstructions
,
root instruction
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+