DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where are the kernals?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 1

Where are the kernals?

Thanks to everyone who helped me understand the difference between ROM and kernel in my other post. I've decided to further my learning to trying out different kernels first.

I see a great section on this website devoted to ROMs. But I can't see anyplace dedicated to kernels. I see lots of praise for the Chevy1 kernel, but all the info is on the SS rom by Chevy1. Am I missing something on this website? Is there a place to go where various kernels are listed?

Any help is appreciated!
  2. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    I don't think there is a directory of kernels, at least not yet

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Original Droid
    I would like to know this also. There seems to be no easy way to find info on how to locate kernels. And also it seems like looking at the ROMS from various people I can't always tell if there are kernels packaged with them or not? So if I root, then install some xyz kernel then install like lets say Bugless Beast or LFY am i overwriting the kernel I installed with one in those ROMS?
  4. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    most kernels are downloaded from external servers and most kernel makers have their own sites for download, droid forums is host to external links to these sites and servers, but as far as file hosting on this level, that is a whole different thing

5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Original Droid
    I am not talking about hosting. If you look in the Hacks are it's divided by different rom sections but there are no real kernel sections where we can find threads on kernels or who makes them or where to download them. The only way I see where to get some to try out is in some peoples SIGs.
  6. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sal33n View Post
    I can't always tell if there are kernels packaged with them or not?
    The kernel is packaged in with the boot image, all ROM's have a kernel, because it is a complete overhaul of the device in question, look, feel, handling ability, kernel etc...

A theme on the other hand only targets the look of the ROM it was designed for and therefore no kernel is included

The best way to find kernels is with Google Search and if you would like to read about them here on the forum just type in google search (for example) "chevy's kernels froyo droid forums" it will bring up the link to the forum and in the O/P of the thread will be the external link to download the kernels

Chevy Kernels
    P3 Kernels
    Slahyer Kernels

7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Original Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by tparker76 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sal33n View Post
    I can't always tell if there are kernels packaged with them or not?
    The kernel is packaged in with the boot image, all ROM's have a kernel, because it is a complete overhaul of the device in question, look, feel, handling ability, kernel etc...

A theme on the other hand only targets the look of the ROM it was designed for and therefore no kernel is included

So basically once you are rooted you can install the ROMs without having to install a custom kernel (for if u want to overclock or get tethering for example) first since they already have them in them?
  8. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    Exactly...

Even stock Android has a kernel the CPU needs it to operate, custom kernels allow you the ability to run your processor faster at cooler temps with better battery life. Not all kernels heed these kind of results on all devices, some droids won't even boot with some kernels. This is why we have back-ups, you make a nandroid back-up, flash a new kernel (maybe a faster or lower voltage one) if you see good results you keep it, if your device won't go past the (M) or gets stuck in a boot loop, go into recovery and restore your back-up

9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Question: I have already installed a ROM and Theme. Can I install a Kernel UNDERNEATH--let's say I want to overclock--this won't affect my ROM?

OR if you install a new Kernel you have to also install the new ROM (or the ROM you were already using) on top of it? (I kind of doubt this option but I need to ask)
    Eddog 4 DROID

- First, OG Droid, then the Fascinate, Now the TUNDA BOW!
    - I gave in and rooted Stupid Random Reboots!
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddog4DROID View Post
    Question: I have already installed a ROM and Theme. Can I install a Kernel UNDERNEATH--let's say I want to overclock--this won't affect my ROM?

OR if you install a new Kernel you have to also install the new ROM (or the ROM you were already using) on top of it? (I kind of doubt this option but I need to ask)
    I'm not an expert, but based on my reading and studying kernels and roms, you CAN install a different kernel after installing a custom ROM. If you reinstall the ROM again after installing a different kernel, the the kernel will be overwritten again by the ROM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links