DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Clockword Mod Backup to Update.zip?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid FRG22D :-/

Clockword Mod Backup to Update.zip?

Hey All,

I have an original Droid on verizon. I updated to droid 2.2, and used easyroot to gain root. I then used Rom manager to install clockwork mod, and back up my images. I then was one of the dumb ones that applied the next OTA that removed my root, and appears to have removed my Clockwork Mod recovery console. is there any way to Turn my backed up folder into an update.zip so that I can re-flash it back onto the phone to regain root?? I have looked into using rsd Lite to Flash SP Recovery, and then load a downloaded update.zip, but I was hoping to use my own that is of droid 2.2 before ota. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advanced!

-Burdzy
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid -> Galaxy Nexus
    I would imagine that it would be a lot faster to just RSD your phone, that is unless you already have the code to read the format Koush uses to store the images that is. If you do which I doubt if you are asking this question, you could then just take an existing update.zip, remove the appropriate files that you don't want installed and replace with what you created from the Clockwork images.

Unless that made sense to you and you have everything needed to accomplish that within the time it takes to install rsd lite and flash a new .sbf file, then RSD is going to be a hundred times faster and easier.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Burdzy View Post
    Hey All, I have an original Droid on verizon. I updated to droid 2.2, and used easyroot to gain root. I then used Rom manager to install clockwork mod, and back up my images. I then was one of the dumb ones that applied the next OTA that removed my root, and appears to have removed my Clockwork Mod recovery console. is there any way to Turn my backed up folder into an update.zip so that I can re-flash it back onto the phone to regain root?? I have looked into using rsd Lite to Flash SP Recovery, and then load a downloaded update.zip, but I was hoping to use my own that is of droid 2.2 before ota. Any thoughts?
    To flash an update.zip that is not created+signed by Verizon/Motorola, you HAVE to be using a non-stock recovery console - ie ClockworkMod or SPRecovery. To install a different recovery console, you have to be rooted. So in short - no, there's no way to get a shortcut to root again.

Your best bet is:
    1). Use RSDLite to flash SPRecovery
    2). Obtain su root access (by installing a rom is the easiest way)
    3). Install ROM Manager
    4). Flash ClockworkRecovery
    5). Restore to the nandroid backup you made (It was stored on the SD Card, so it's still there)

Alternatively, instead of installing ROM Manager, you can directly flash ClockworkRecovery - it's a bit of a pain, though, and without su access, you'd have to do it from ADB in SPRecovery, which is why I didn't recommend it - it's quicker to just install another ROM, even if you don't intend to use it for long.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  4. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    Tallica21
    Phone
    GSIII-Rooted
    Premium Member
    OP, If you are on one of the new build FRG22D then you need to use link 3 in my sig to root or you will have issues. Then just install Rom Manager, flash CW and restore your backup.

If you are not on the new build Se7enLC instructions will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post

To install a different recovery console, you have to be rooted. So in short - no, there's no way to get a shortcut to root again.

Your best bet is:
    1). Use RSDLite to flash SPRecovery
    2). Obtain su root access (by installing a rom is the easiest way)

3). Install ROM Manager
    4). Flash ClockworkRecovery
    5). Restore to the nandroid backup you made (It was stored on the SD Card, so it's still there)

Alternatively, instead of installing ROM Manager, you can directly flash ClockworkRecovery - it's a bit of a pain, though, and without su access, you'd have to do it from ADB in SPRecovery, which is why I didn't recommend it - it's quicker to just install another ROM, even if you don't intend to use it for long.

Se7enLC you contradict yourself, in your post.
    You do not need to be rooted to install a custom recovery, See Step 1 in your post.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallica View Post
    Se7enLC you contradict yourself, in your post.
    You do not need to be rooted to install a custom recovery, See Step 1 in your post.
    Grgauwhgwwgqgwg!!!!

Why does everyone keep insisting that using RSD to overwrite your recovery is not the same as rooting?? When you type "flash_image recovery recovery.img" it says "permission denied". Only the root user is allowed to write to the recovery partition. RSDLite is just another means of getting root access to the phone. Just because you don't type "su" doesn't mean that you aren't getting root access.

ALSO - Installing SPRecovery or Clockwork Recovery IS rooting, regardless of how you go about it - because they both give you access to the ADB shell as root. Stock recovery does not.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)

Links