DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phone charging problems after custom kernel

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Phone charging problems after custom kernel

I applied the Chevy1 1.0 Ghz Ultra Low Voltage Kernel onto my Droid after rooting it. The phone has been quite stable and the CPU has not gotten above 112 degrees, so I feel safe keeping the kernel.

The issue I am having is with charging the phone. I pulled it out of the multimedia dock this morning, hopped in the car, and 30 minutes later, I got a warning that the phone is below 15%. I have had it plugged in via USB now for an hour, and my charge is at 20%. battery temp is at 98 degrees.

I am using the Droid 2 extended life battery in the phone, which never gave me any charging issues before I swapped the kernel.

To be honest, I did not check the charge this morning, because it has always fully charged overnight in the multimedia dock.

Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior with charging and a custom kernel. Is there a SetCPU profile I should create to fix this problem? Should my phone have drained that fast with a custom kernel?

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid by Motorola
    Quote Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
    I applied the Chevy1 1.0 Ghz Ultra Low Voltage Kernel onto my Droid after rooting it. The phone has been quite stable and the CPU has not gotten above 112 degrees, so I feel safe keeping the kernel.

The issue I am having is with charging the phone. I pulled it out of the multimedia dock this morning, hopped in the car, and 30 minutes later, I got a warning that the phone is below 15%. I have had it plugged in via USB now for an hour, and my charge is at 20%. battery temp is at 98 degrees.

I am using the Droid 2 extended life battery in the phone, which never gave me any charging issues before I swapped the kernel.

To be honest, I did not check the charge this morning, because it has always fully charged overnight in the multimedia dock.

Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior with charging and a custom kernel. Is there a SetCPU profile I should create to fix this problem? Should my phone have drained that fast with a custom kernel?
    Have you tried any other kernels, or even the SV or LV kernel from Chevy? Sometimes the ULV kernels do some strange stuff, not all phones will agree with them.

As for SetCPU, I recommend having a charging profile set up that is on "powersave" so you don't have the cpu cranking too hard when its plugged in.
    Twitter - @DAndrews81
    Droid 1 - Rooted - Overclocked
    I use many different ROMs and Kernels.
  4. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    I would say a few different things probably happened, I have a seidio 2800 extended battery and used to use the Multimedia dock to charge my phone at night, I remember once thinking it was in the dock when in fact it wasn't, the charging port didn't make a good connection with the male charging stub that sticks up

My guess would be that this is what happened, there is no way that a kernel had such an impact on your phone that it drained it that fast, and it is possible that a kernel can effect different parts of your phone in different ways, I doubt it kept your device from taking in a charge overnight

I would try again this afternoon and make sure the phone has a god connection where the charging port is located

5. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    And for the record, you are not going to get a sufficient charge or charge times from a USB connection, so this is not a reliable way to test your theory

6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

The charge is up to 30%

At least I see the charge advancing now. We'll let it charge and see what happens.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Do a battery pull then charge it. I was experiencing a very similar problem. This morning I did the third battery pull (of course I was trying different stuff in between each pull). I took it off the charger, did the battery pull around 5:20 am. Put it back on the charger till 7 am. It is now 8 am and it still has 100%. I'm not convinced it is fixed but it is definately behaving better.

Nate
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    9:00 AM to 3:13 PM and my battery is only at 80%, Just tried a battery pull. We'll see what happens.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Well...as stated above I took mine off the charger at 6:40 am and it is now 1:35 pm and I am at 80%. Light use...check email every 20 minutes or so...scheduled a couple meetings...posted on DF a few times. I think mine is solved. Hope yours works out too.

Nate
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    The only similar experience I had was when I attempted to use a "Performance" profile in SetCPU. I thought I could use this while the phone was plugged in and charging... but the battery drained faster than it could even charge.
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    The battery pull seems to have helped. I'll let you know how it looks in the morning.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links