DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Swype and rooted

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus

Swype and rooted

I rooted to 2.2 about a month before the official update started rolling out. First off, it hasn't asked me to update OTA like I thought it would.

Secondly, the Swype beta for 2.2 doesn't seem to work with this ROM. Anyone had any luck? I got it installed, but it said it couldn't register correctly. It works if I punch the actual keys, but the swyping feature doesn't work at all. It said "this version isn't intended for this device and some functions may be limited". Hmmmm.

If not, I'll be looking at going back to stock. If that is the case, can anyone recommend a good tutorial on going 100% back to stock?

Thanks all!
    Last edited by siggy_freud; 09-13-2010 at 03:19 PM.

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola a855
    SPRecovery blocks OTAs from installing, and some (most?) ROMs will block even the notifications of OTAs.

Swype, not sure, haven't used the beta, but there's other keyboards out there like SlideIt that are very similar (SlideIt is paid but also has a free trial).

For unrooting back to stock, here's a great set of instructions from Christim: SBF to root and to unroot

You'd really go back to stock just to use swype? It is still in beta right? Maybe it's something that'll get fixed with the next swype update?
    Verizon Moto Droid | Android 2.2 | Lots of ROM switching lately.

Wordfeud: Schteef
  4. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    There has been a New Swype Beta Release in the previous week, all pre-existing versions are unable to be registered, meaning they will not Swype, if you are a Beta tester they should have emailed you a new install package

Chances are this has nothing to do with being Rooted or your ROM

5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by siggy_freud View Post
    Secondly, the Swype beta for 2.2 doesn't seem to work with this ROM. Anyone had any luck? I got it installed, but it said it couldn't register correctly. It works if I punch the actual keys, but the swyping feature doesn't work at all. It said "this version isn't intended for this device and some functions may be limited". Hmmmm.
    You say "this ROM" - which ROM is that?

I'm running CyanogenMod 6, and I had the same problem with Swype when I updated it. I was able to resolve it, though, and get Swype working fine again. It required some magical combination of installing it, clearing data, removing it, rebooting, and reinstalling it to get it to work. My guess is that the beta install mechanism doesn't handle updates very well, so you need to clear out anything swype related (force stop, clear data, uninstall apps, reboot) before updating it.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Swype can be tricky and you have to be careful and make sure you remove everything. In a new cases, I've had to reboot between removing and reinstalling. The forums at Swype have a detailed process recommended by the beta manager that may be of use to some.

Links