DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disable notification bar?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MotoDroid

Disable notification bar?

So I recently achieved root and have been trying different roms along with using LauncherPro Plus. LauncherPro Plus has the option to disable the notification bar, but it only does so on the main home page and the app drawer.

What I'm looking for is a way to completely disable the bar, does a way exist?

3. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Phone
    Bionic, G Nex and T Prime
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    I'm sure you could remove it from the system but don't take my advice. I don't know what that would do to the rest of your phone when it comes to look or functionality.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MotoDroid
    Worst case, I'd just like it to work like the "Hide notification bar" option in LauncherPro, except at all times.

[EDIT]
    Any chance you could point me into the right direction to try removing it?
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by JB4times4 View Post
    Worst case, I'd just like it to work like the "Hide notification bar" option in LauncherPro, except at all times.

[EDIT]
    Any chance you could point me into the right direction to try removing it?
    I don't think this is a good idea at all. The notification bar is NECESSARY for a lot of apps. Hiding it in the default launcher is as good as you're going to get. Anything else would seriously hinder the utility of the phone. Some apps might still work fine (maybe gmail and browser), but other apps might NEED those notifications to be tapped on in order to access them. Also, there's no other way to easily get a monitor of signal strength on some phones (and you do want to know when you have signal, right?)
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  6. log
    Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Why do you want to this, makes no sense at all.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MotoDroid
    Quote Originally Posted by log View Post
    It makes plenty of sense...why do you want a custom slider? why do you want a custom icon? why do you want to customize anything on your phone?
  8. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Phone
    Bionic, G Nex and T Prime
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    I was thinking about this on the way to work this morning. Perhaps (I am guessing by the way) the reason it hides it on the homescreen but not inside some apps is because some apps have a resolution that leaves that top part blank. If that was the case then the notification bar wouldn't be hidden because there is nothing for it to hide behind.
    Also, deleting it would be pretty bad I would imagine. You could however make it transparent. So you would still see the battery meter, signal bars, etc.. just that the background for them would be your homescreen.
    Last edited by xkape; 09-14-2010 at 08:22 AM.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by JB4times4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by log View Post
    It makes plenty of sense...why do you want a custom slider? why do you want a custom icon? why do you want to customize anything on your phone?
    Changing the appearance of screen elements is much different than changing the existence of them. The short answer to your original questions is no, there is not currently any way to completely disable the notification bar. That doesn't mean it's impossible - just that nobody has done it. The notification bar is an integral part of the Android OS and apps rely on having a way to provide notifications to the user to function properly.

It would be a pretty major change to actually REMOVE the notification bar, and you would have to replace it with some other means of providing notifications to the user (because, like I said - some applications REQUIRE notifications to function). It would certainly require a source-based ROM, and would probably end up with a list of applications that will crash if you try to run them.

Another option would be to disable the notification bar on the homescreen (trivial), and then make the notification bar completely transparent, remove the clock, battery, etc. You can modify the system framework to make the various icons transparent as well. Once you got rid of all the icons and changed the notification bar colors, etc, you would effectively have an invisible bar, which you would still need access to for some apps.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MotoDroid
    Well, maybe this makes sense maybe it doesn't, but how about like moving the notification bar up 50 pixels or however tall it is so that it's just off the screen?
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid -> Galaxy Nexus
    You would still need a way to access notifications or you will lose.functionality of your phone. We aren't just saying this to be trivial. It would be akin to driving your vehicle at night without headlights on.

Part of how the Android OS achieves multitasking is through use of broadcasts. Say you open up a gallery of some sorts to send someone else a very large multimedia file using bluetooth. What happens is the main gallery application itself will create a new thread that actually handles the sending of the file. So if you get a phone call, etc., the file transfer won't block you from answering he phone.

If no new thread was.created to handle this task, the your Droid would appear unresponsive until the file transfer was over.

Having a status bar available to access is a piece of this. When a thread finishes it's task, it will broadcast this back to the application which created it. By the time you have finished the file transfer you will probably be working in a new application. Instead of stealing focus away from the current application, an icon in the notification bar would alert you to this instead. There are dozens of good reasons for this and also dozens of different scenarios as well. Some scenarios could open up security risks, while others could cause a loss of functionality altogether.

So instead of removing the bar, all an application can do is hide it. Unfortunately this needs to be done on an application to application basis. Perhaps though a developer could create a service that started at boot and hid the notification bar across all applications. Of course once it became visible again you would manually need a way to hide it again since it would have no way of knowing when you was finished with it.

Bottom line: You don't wanna get rid of the notification bar. Well I take that back as it seems you are persistent to screw up the OS. Let me rephrase that. "You SHOULD not get rid of the notification bar". I'm sure if you donated some cash or asked politely a developer would attempt to create you a ROM without the bar. You should ask... :-)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links