DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: ROM Basics.. where, what???

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt

ROM Basics.. where, what???

I need some quick advice. I am looking for just a very basic thread/faq on roms, searching and setting up... getting kinda overwhelemed.

Can someone briefly answer or point me to a thread that tells me----

- How to install a Rom
    - Do I need to back up my current setup?
    - It appears Rom Manager is not the way to go? or is it for a noob like me?
    - What if I want to try a couple different ROMs? What to do?
    - What if I want to go back to Stock?
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    VZW Note 2
    1. To install a rom, you need to be rooted. Depending on your current version of your Android OS (2.0/2.1/2.2) their are different methods. I'm not too sure on how to root your phone now, as I rooted mine when it first came out, and have been upgrading from 2.0 ever since.

I think this still works: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...tml#post822992

2. Rom Manager downloads and installs roms in an easy GUI for people who do not know how to install roms, or who want to do it much faster. For a first time rooter/rom--er, you should use Rom Manager until you feel comfortable. I still use it, and I've been installing roms since the droid came out

3. To try different roms, you have to install each one. Each rom will overwrite the other. That is usually the case, as keeping data from different roms can cause problems. You can save your apps by using Titanium Backup or another app like it. Your phone should automatically sync your contacts, calendar, and etc. Anything saved on your SDCard stays.
    Last edited by SwiftLegend; 09-12-2010 at 02:02 PM.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    Skylordusa
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddog4DROID View Post
    I need some quick advice. I am looking for just a very basic thread/faq on roms, searching and setting up... getting kinda overwhelemed.

Can someone briefly answer or point me to a thread that tells me----

- How to install a Rom
    - Do I need to back up my current setup?
    - It appears Rom Manager is not the way to go? or is it for a noob like me?
    - What if I want to try a couple different ROMs? What to do?
    - What if I want to go back to Stock?
    If you are not already rooted you can click the link in my signature and that will take you through the steps of getting rooted. Also when you choose a custom rom that you want to install usually in the original post of the rom thread you will find instructions on how to install the rom either using sp recovery or clockwork recovery. Some people seem to say that they have problems with ROM Manager. I have never had a problem with it but I normally dont do the install through rom manager I usually just reboot into my recovery which is clockwork when making backups/restoring or installing roms. But sp recovery works just as good. And if you want to try a couple of different roms thats fine. You just need to make a backup of your current settings incase you have a bad install/bad download or just problems with a certain rom or just decide that the new rom you installed is not for you and you like the old one better. This way if you do encounter problems or like the old rom/setup better you can just restore your backup and you will be back to your old setup and ready to try a new rom. You can never make enough backups. They are your friend. Also going back to stock is pretty easy you just need to flash a sbf file of an older version and you will be back to your old setup. The guide for that is also on this forum. Dont be afraid to ask questions either. Everyone here is very helpful.

Heres a link to all the custom roms on this forum. You can read a little bit about them in the threads and see if you see/hear anything you like.
    Custom Roms - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Ok let me provide more info. I rooted very easily. I am overclocked with SetCPU and I have wireless Tether ROM Manager and Titanium backup. So far, outside of these four apps, I haven't seen the true power of rooting. So I want to install anew ROM. there are so many choices, BB, Saphire, CG, kinda overwhelming.

I am 2.2 Droid with the latest updates.

I tried to download CG from Rom Manager. Didt know what to do so I renamed it to update.zip and rebooted it started unpacking, said it was done... then rebooted and stuck on the Moto logo. Good thing I backed up before so I am back to normal now...

Was I on the right track?
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Update II.

I am rooted (thank to Motocache)
    I wiped data and installed BB v.04.

Both are working great and the phone is smooth as ever.

I am overclocked w/ SetCPU.

Now what else can I do to enjoy my newly rooted/custom ROM'ed experience?

It seems you can install themes to the ROMs? and if so, how do I take this next step?

Links