DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Rooted, running tests....

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Rooted, running tests....

So after having my phone for 5 months, and wanting to root it for 5 months, I finally gave in and rooted. First impression: awesome. Anyways, I overclocked my phone to 800 MHz (stock Kernel, I thought SetCPU would only let me go to 600 MHz, but I guess I was wrong) and I'm trying to run tests to see if my phone can handle it before I move on. After 30 minutes of wireless tethering, playing music, and the "stress test" in SetCPU, my temperature was: 100.4 degrees F (It actually decreased from 102.2 degrees F). What are your opinions on that? Also, is my "test" adequate enough for testing my phone? With the decrease in temperature, I'm questioning it.

Thanks for all your help guys, love this forum.
    Last edited by cooltc2004; 09-03-2010 at 12:31 PM.

3. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Welcome to the "dark side" (rooted). The kernel that you have installed will be the limiting force for how high you can over clock. SetCPU is a tool that allows you to manage.
    In view of the testing you mentioned I do not think a temp of 100.4 is bad. Obviously, you do not want to stay that high for an extended period of time.

Have you tried the Linpack or Quadrant apps? They will provide more info on the speed of your phone.

Finally, there are different kernels that you can install that may provide better performance with less heat. Check the developers web site of for the rom that you installed.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike
  4. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    As Mike said Welcome to the Dark Side

To help with a few of your questions SetCpu will let you OverClock as high as the kernel you have installed is built for, so you have a 800Mhz kernel, as far as the temps the CPU on the Droid is rated at over 140/150 degrees (I don't remember exactly) but way more than you might think and of course those are dangerous temps but the 102 you are referring to is a real nice temperature to be operating at even 112 wouldn't be to hot

I do wonder where you are getting your temps from though, depending on what kernel you are running those are possibly battery temp readings you are getting, if you could name your ROM and kernel type and if you are reading temps from within SetCPU I could help you figure that out

5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Im running stock Froyo 2.2 FRG22D rooted with this tutorial:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/res...s-version.html
    I have not flashed a kernel or anything.

I'm just getting my temperatures from SetCPU, I do believe its from the battery.

[edit]
    I ran Quadrant, and scored right below the Samsung, not too bad? I didn't flash a ROM, nor am I going to in the near future, I really like the stock look.

I was thinking of flashing P3's Kernels (starting at 1 GHz) and going from there. For the stock OS (plus root), is this a good choice?

Thank you
    Last edited by cooltc2004; 09-03-2010 at 02:12 PM.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    You know what's funny, I ran quadrant on my dads completely stock droid (hasn't even installed any apps, quadrant was the FIRST one) and scored right below the Samsung, way abovde where it says the droid should score. So I remembered that my battery was low when I ran the test, so it was underclocked. I reran it on full battery and scored in the mid 900's this time.

So my question about kernels is will P3Droid's woek good for me for what I want to do? Should I look at Chevy's?

Thanks a lot!
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Ignore benchmarks, they are useless and meaningless for the most part. A 1500 on a benchmark has no reflection to how smooth your phone runs.

Use the phone, and decide if it is snappy enough for you. Also pay attention to the temperatures and battery life going with that snappiness. Is everything working as it should? Basically you want your phone to be responsive, have good battery life, not get too hot, all while giving you the features you want.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    you must find the balance!
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    So I installed Chevys low voltage 1.0 Ghz kernel, and during testing my phone totally froze (no FC, just rock solid frozen). For testing I turned on music, wireless tether, and ran the SetCPU stress test. So I pulled the battery, restored my backup, and flashed P3's regular voltage 1.0 Ghz kernel.

Now with P3's kernel, I have no CPU temperature. I thought P3's had this in it? I downloaded TempMonitor to verify, and no CPU temp.

Am I doing something wrong? Was my phone freezing related to Chevy's kernel?

Links