DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyway to do this?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Anyway to do this?

Is there anyway to hack the motorola droid so I can use it without a verizon data plan and go on the internet and get email via wifi?

Someone what hacking/jailbreaking does for iphone users?

I have a blackberry storm and cant afford the data but I really need internet and wifi.

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    droid
    DroidForums.net Developer
    So youre asking us if we can hack into verizon and turn off your required data plan with the phone? So you canmake calls but have no data plan?

You can buy the phone outright.

Quote Originally Posted by kilicar View Post
    Is there anyway to hack the motorola droid so I can use it without a verizon data plan and go on the internet and get email via wifi?

Someone what hacking/jailbreaking does for iphone users?

I have a blackberry storm and cant afford the data but I really need internet and wifi.
  4. DF News Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto DROID !!!
    Premium Member
    there is a way to do this, if you buy the phone retail... you may need to do some searching, but the codes/commands are here somewhere. and it doesn't require rooting...

question, you can afford a $600 phone but not a $30 data plan?
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    easy, my storm broke 6 times, 3 within the last month and they are giving me a free swap to the driod!

if anyone has a diy on this PLEASE PLEASE let me know. I will be getting my driod as soon as I know this.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by kilicar View Post
    easy, my storm broke 6 times, 3 within the last month and they are giving me a free swap to the driod!

if anyone has a diy on this PLEASE PLEASE let me know. I will be getting my driod as soon as I know this.
    So now you're looking at a $350 early termination fee, because VZW is probably going to throw a spit-fit when you try to cancel services on your "free" Droid.
  7. DF News Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto DROID !!!
    Premium Member
    the link is on this site somewhere, on how to activate the phone without a data plan. a quick search and i couldn't find it though sorry.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    droid
    DroidForums.net Developer
    If they are giving you a droid as a replacement explain the situation. They are probably going to force you either way. As previously stated, they may try to hit you with the ETF.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Well when I spoke to them I said that I would like to lower my plan to the $10.00 a month family share plan and that I was going to sell the driod once they gave it to me. They had no problem with me saying this.

I am not terminating any plan, just lowering it.

My cousin has an iphone that he has hacked so he is only paying for a regular phone plan by using wifi, he paid the min but had email and internet.

I wanted to know if anyone hacked that same feature on the droid. Can I activate it using the $10.00 a month plan and also use the wifi.

Thank you wuyanks I will keep looking also, If anyone has the diy steps on how to do this PLEASE PLEASE let me know.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    wuyanks

what would you call what I am trying to do? is there a name or term for it?

I am not exactly sure how to search for it.
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Basically what you want to do is shut off all data over the main radio save for calls.

As verizon requires everyone to have a data plan that owns the phone, I seriously doubt that you'll find someone to take the time to disable in and outbound data on the phone over CDMA.

Basically, you're not going to be able to use the phone without the plan, and when you get the new one from your Verizon swap, I can almost guarentee that they'll activate the 30 a month plan, and when you attempt to cancel you will have to pay the 350 ETF.

Sorry bud.

EDIT: Good news and bad news buddy. As long as you're willing to not recieve calls on this thing, you can type in *#*#4636#*#* and select phone information. Scroll down to the bottom and hit Turn off radio.

This will allow your phone to continue to use Wifi, but have no network access via Verizon. Is that what you're looking for? You wont be able to make or recieve calls using this method.
    Last edited by Randomocity; 12-09-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links