DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: What I Have Done With a Rooted Droid That I Couldn't Do Before

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by c_mack9 View Post
    i thought one of the big benefeits was being able to disable the ads while web browsing. mine still show up, how can i disable them?
    search adfree in the market
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by voydas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by c_mack9 View Post
    i thought one of the big benefeits was being able to disable the ads while web browsing. mine still show up, how can i disable them?
    search adfree in the market
    well crap it wont run with UDv8, it just force closes.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by jphudy View Post
    I also got the terminal emulator, but it always force closes.

In fact, I'm a little unsure if I am actually rooted at all. I followed the instructions without error, but - How will I know?

Hey, and you can tell if your rooted my going into your Application Drawer, and look for the "app" that says Superuser Permissions. That means your rooted right there!
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2
    So, once the Droid 2 gets rooted, will there really be any benefits from doing so? I mean, 1 GHz is fast enough for me, and it already does wifi hotspot, pinch to zoom, etc.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Things I love about being rooted:

-ads are blocked
    -wireless tether
    -1GHz overclocking
    -nandroid backups
    -system app installation (i.e. Mobile Defense/WaveSecure can't be uninstalled if your phone is lost/stolen)
    -can use 2.1 car dock app on 2.2
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by travelingfool View Post
    So, once the Droid 2 gets rooted, will there really be any benefits from doing so? I mean, 1 GHz is fast enough for me, and it already does wifi hotspot, pinch to zoom, etc.
    Remember that what you think is "good enough" now, will always be supplemented by future advances we haven't thought of or thought we needed yet. 1Ghz may indeed be all you need right now, but in a few years even some of the smallest apps will have trouble at running that slow of a speed. As for sooner, there will be new, power hungry apps you may really want to run, but can't without overclocking to 2ghz for example, and there are sure to be new features you haven't even thought of yet that will be discovered and require rooting to use.

There is always more
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by romeov View Post
    There is always more
    It's like a sickness. An addiction. At first I rooted for new features and to change the things I didn't like. But now the OTA release HAS almost all of the features I rooted to get. But I still want MORE. Get out while you still can - the longer you stay rooted, the more you need to get the same high. Pretty soon you'll be on a street corner turning tricks in exchange for the latest rom leak.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Quote Originally Posted by travelingfool View Post
    Remember that what you think is "good enough" now, will always be supplemented by future advances we haven't thought of or thought we needed yet. 1Ghz may indeed be all you need right now, but in a few years even some of the smallest apps will have trouble at running that slow of a speed. As for sooner, there will be new, power hungry apps you may really want to run, but can't without overclocking to 2ghz for example, and there are sure to be new features you haven't even thought of yet that will be discovered and require rooting to use.

There is always more
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
    There is always more
    It's like a sickness. An addiction. At first I rooted for new features and to change the things I didn't like. But now the OTA release HAS almost all of the features I rooted to get. But I still want MORE. Get out while you still can - the longer you stay rooted, the more you need to get the same high. Pretty soon you'll be on a street corner turning tricks in exchange for the latest rom leak.
    Lol, I know exactly what you mean. This is my first Android device, and I've been a Blackberry fanatic for years. I was forever installing leaked OS's and hybrids. Good enough was never good enough, and I suspect it will be the same for me with Android. A good testimony to this is my 1500 plus post count over at CrackBerry under the same user name.

I've only had my Droid 2 for a couple of weeks, and although I'm starting to feel pretty comfortable with the OS, I'm still learning new things every day. All I can say is this platform rocks! I can't believe I held out this long.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by SGMD1 View Post

-system app installation (i.e. Mobile Defense/WaveSecure can't be uninstalled if your phone is lost/stolen)
    I'm running rooted 2.2 and have the Mobile Defense and Lookout apps installed. Which files do I need to change permissions on to prevent these from being removed from the phone?

Thanks!
    Galaxy Nexus: CyanogenMod 9-rc0 with Franco's Milestone 4 kernel @ 1.344 GHz
    OG Droid: CyanogenMod 7.1.0 (2.3.7) with Chevy's 1.1GHz uLV kernel, BP7X battery
    Nook Color: CyanogenMod 7.1.0, 1.2GHz kernel
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SGMD1 View Post

I'm running rooted 2.2 and have the Mobile Defense and Lookout apps installed. Which files do I need to change permissions on to prevent these from being removed from the phone?

Thanks!
    Here are the instructions on how to install it as a system app: Installing Mobile Defense as a system application [OFFICIAL] (Page 1) - Tutorials - Mobile Defense
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Links