DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob question: Now that I am rooted why would I want to flash a ROM?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Noob question: Now that I am rooted why would I want to flash a ROM?

So I have been hearing a lot about "Bugless Beast" and some others. So far I haven't found a post on what benefits particular ROMs give me.

What does "Bugless Beast" offer over the stock phone that I have now? And is it really "Bugless?" (That is a bold claim)

Are there any benefits to it over other ROMs?

I'm sure it is a matter of opinion on which ROM is the best but, now that I'm rooted I would love to start really making this phone work for a living. Is there a chart somewhere that compares features side by side?

Thanks in advance and I will eagerly await your opinions...Dave

3. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    Tallica21
    Phone
    GSIII-Rooted
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidbehrns View Post
    So I have been hearing a lot about "Bugless Beast" and some others. So far I haven't found a post on what benefits particular ROMs give me.

What does "Bugless Beast" offer over the stock phone that I have now? And is it really "Bugless?" (That is a bold claim)

I'm sure it is a matter of opinion on which ROM is the best but, now that I'm rooted I would love to start really making this phone work for a living. Is there a chart somewhere that compares features side by side?

No chart, like you said it's personal style, try flashing one and see if you like it, if not try another, that's half the fun!
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    206 times
    Phone
    OG D1/G-Nex

You should post this in the hacks area or the Roms area. This area is for the general stuff. And to be honest i havent seen a comparison for roms persay. It takes like 2 min to install a rom on phone so id just test random roms and see which one u like best. Unfortunatly roms seem to act differently pending on the phone... id suggest trying SS, BB, and UD. Those are my three favorite at the moment.
    Turtle bit me.I thought they were slow....they snap so fast. ................. <3
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Phone
    Note 2
    Good question. The roms generally are out there to be faster and have higher battery life, and more customization. And dont forget to install a kernel and get Setcpu from the market!
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 1- rooted

A chart would be a difficult thing to maintain, because the offerings and landscape changes almost daily. Different ROMs are going to have different priorities and are going to be build in different ways. The objective may be to streamline the code and offer stability and efficiency, offer additional features and functions, enhance looks and customization or a bit of all three.

In the Custom ROMs section of this site, you will see listings for the different ROMs, and in each subforum, there will be a sticky post about the latest version of each ROM, generally with a list of features and sometimes screenshots.

Opinions about "which is best" will vary widely, and will generally reflect what each user values in a ROM, so while reading reviews is helpful (generally to find out about bugs and known issues), trying the ROM for yourself is really the best way to find out what works for you.

As far as bugs, none of these are really "bug-less" (no knock against Pete there). There are always going to be issues, just as there are with the official builds. If anybody ever tells you software is "finished", they are:

• A. Lying
    • B. Don't understand the question
    • C. Simply not going to work on it anymore

Some bugs are more serious that others, and you might not find the bugs or have them affect anything relevant to what you do, or they might be deal-breakers. Different people have different opinions about what a deal-breaker is for them. Reading the forums will help you find out about those and decide for yourself.

Switching ROMs is pretty easy and generally painless, but before you dive in, it would be highly recommended to invest in backup utilities like Titanium for your apps, and make sure that you are comfortable with the nandroid backup method (hint: that's done in Recovery-ALWAYS backup before flashing a ROM).

Good luck and have fun.
    While understanding "How" may get the job done, understanding "Why" will get the job done properly.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I personally dig all of cyanogens features and have always ran their rom as it runs the best on my phone..but i always read of ppl having issues with this rom..

With that said..you should try sapphire,i really enoyed this rom but need my volume rocker to switch songs without it going crazy..ither than that i never encountered any issues..they have a great rom and alot of support if you run into issues
  8. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    I am rooted and do not use a custom ROM, and I have no interest in loading one.

To me, Custom ROM's sound very much like hybrids were in the Blackberry world. More hype then anything else. I suppose they dress up nicely but how do they perform?

I suppose from what I read some perform better then others, but I'm mystified at the amount of loyalty that these custom ROMs developers get. Some build new builds every other day, and the fans will go crazy over it. Read a little bit into it though and you find certain basic things don't work. But they still say it's the best thing since sliced bread. Others build once every so often and their fans just sit and wait with undying loyalty.

I just prefer to not get involved in it and run Froyo straight out of the box so to speak. Works just fine for me.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  9. tjs
    Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Bugless Beast

Should bb V0.4 be installed over the previous versions of bb, ( V1.1, V0.2, V02.1 ect.) or just installed over whatever your running now?
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    I am rooted and do not use a custom ROM, and I have no interest in loading one.

To me, Custom ROM's sound very much like hybrids were in the Blackberry world. More hype then anything else. I suppose they dress up nicely but how do they perform?

I suppose from what I read some perform better then others, but I'm mystified at the amount of loyalty that these custom ROMs developers get. Some build new builds every other day, and the fans will go crazy over it. Read a little bit into it though and you find certain basic things don't work. But they still say it's the best thing since sliced bread. Others build once every so often and their fans just sit and wait with undying loyalty.

I just prefer to not get involved in it and run Froyo straight out of the box so to speak. Works just fine for me.
    I'm not a "ROM Hopper" like some people, but I started using the Simply Stunning ROMS and I just stick with those. You can overclock and run the wireless hotspot app, for starters... though those are things you can also do by installing a custom kernel (keeping the stock ROM). But there are additional features too... in the case of SS, some custom settings/tweaks are now added to the main system settings menu, for example. Additionally it has been made easy to install custom themes to give your phone a look and style that suits you.
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    if i want to switch roms.. like from BB .04 to UD... do i need to do a date/cache wipe? i have made backups....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links