DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Can I use Rom Manager without using Clockwork Recovery?

  1. Droid
    TopDroid's Avatar
    Member #
    98148
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    77
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #1

    Can I use Rom Manager without using Clockwork Recovery?

    Hey guys, Im about to root my Droid and was wondering if there was anyway to use Clockwork Rom Manager to get roms and stuff without having to use Clockwork's Recovery? I read somewhere that once you download Clockwork Rom Manager it gives you the option to use SPRecovery or Clockwork Recovery. Is there any truth to that? Also, lets say I HAVE to use Clockwork recovery to back up my roms downloaded by Rom Manager...does the Clockwork Recovery override(or write over) my SPRecovery?
  2. Droid
    AtrusNex's Avatar
    Member #
    103040
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Asheville NC
    Posts
    81
    Phone
    Droid and Fascinate
    #2
    You can, but it's more trouble than it's worth. Rom Manager caches it's downloads on a file on your SD Card "/sdcard/clockworkmod/download/". If you set your Recovery Manager to be SPRecovery you can go in there and move each file separately to the root directory of your SD Card and rename it update.zip and flash each file individually. with Clockworck Recovery you just download the files and everything else is done automatically.
    Motorola Droid
    CyanogenMod 7 Nightly
    P3Droid Redline Low Voltage 7-Slot 125-1000 MHz

    Samsung Fascinate
    Blackhole 4.1 DL30 Based / Stock Kernel
    Wishing for an AOSP ROM especially CyanogenMOD
  3. Rescue Squad
    Tallica's Avatar
    Member #
    48266
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Middleboro, MA
    Posts
    3,259
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    Tallica21
    Phone
    GSIII-Rooted
    Premium Member
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDroid View Post
    Hey guys, Im about to root my Droid and was wondering if there was anyway to use Clockwork Rom Manager to get roms and stuff without having to use Clockwork's Recovery? I read somewhere that once you download Clockwork Rom Manager it gives you the option to use SPRecovery or Clockwork Recovery. Is there any truth to that? Also, lets say I HAVE to use Clockwork recovery to back up my roms downloaded by Rom Manager...does the Clockwork Recovery override(or write over) my SPRecovery?
    You should really use Clockwork or SPRecovery and NOT Rom Manager, but to each their own.
    Rom Manager and Easy Root (did u use that to) have had major issues lately.
  4. Droid
    AtrusNex's Avatar
    Member #
    103040
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Asheville NC
    Posts
    81
    Phone
    Droid and Fascinate
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallica View Post
    You should really use Clockwork or SPRecovery and NOT Rom Manager, but to each their own.
    Rom Manager and Easy Root (did u use that to) have had major issues lately.
    Umm, you do know that Rom Manager uses Clockwork right?
    Motorola Droid
    CyanogenMod 7 Nightly
    P3Droid Redline Low Voltage 7-Slot 125-1000 MHz

    Samsung Fascinate
    Blackhole 4.1 DL30 Based / Stock Kernel
    Wishing for an AOSP ROM especially CyanogenMOD
  5. Rescue Squad
    Tallica's Avatar
    Member #
    48266
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Middleboro, MA
    Posts
    3,259
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    Tallica21
    Phone
    GSIII-Rooted
    Premium Member
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by AtrusNex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallica View Post
    You should really use Clockwork or SPRecovery and NOT Rom Manager, but to each their own.
    Rom Manager and Easy Root (did u use that to) have had major issues lately.
    Umm, you do know that Rom Manager uses Clockwork right?
    Ummm, you know you can use Clockwork as a standalone and it works fine (actually better), without Rom Manager?

    I do prefer SPR but CW as as standalone is fine

    Thanks for the input though.
  6. Droid
    AtrusNex's Avatar
    Member #
    103040
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Asheville NC
    Posts
    81
    Phone
    Droid and Fascinate
    #6
    To each his own I suppose. I've done over 200 ROM flashes now all using ClockWork Recovery built into Rom Manager without a single problem that couldn't be fixed by just flashing an older version of Clock Work and Re-flashing the new one back. And even this has only happened maybe 3-4 times.
    Motorola Droid
    CyanogenMod 7 Nightly
    P3Droid Redline Low Voltage 7-Slot 125-1000 MHz

    Samsung Fascinate
    Blackhole 4.1 DL30 Based / Stock Kernel
    Wishing for an AOSP ROM especially CyanogenMOD
  7. Droid
    TopDroid's Avatar
    Member #
    98148
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    77
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #7
    ok,so let me get this straight... If I use Rom manager to get Roms, I can chose NOT to use Clockwork recovery? and by doing this, once ive downloaded a rom through rom manager, I can go into my sd card and put the rom in the root of my sd card,rename it, and flash it using the update.zip method via SPRecovery? If so, is this a safe way of doing things?
    Thanks guys!!
  8. Droid
    AtrusNex's Avatar
    Member #
    103040
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Asheville NC
    Posts
    81
    Phone
    Droid and Fascinate
    #8
    It's safe as far as I know. I've never really done it as it would take much more work than just using Clockwork with RM. But as always, make sure you make a Nandroid back-up before you do anything risky anyways.
    Motorola Droid
    CyanogenMod 7 Nightly
    P3Droid Redline Low Voltage 7-Slot 125-1000 MHz

    Samsung Fascinate
    Blackhole 4.1 DL30 Based / Stock Kernel
    Wishing for an AOSP ROM especially CyanogenMOD
  9. Rescue Squad
    Tallica's Avatar
    Member #
    48266
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Middleboro, MA
    Posts
    3,259
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    Tallica21
    Phone
    GSIII-Rooted
    Premium Member
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDroid View Post
    ok,so let me get this straight... If I use Rom manager to get Roms, I can chose NOT to use Clockwork recovery? and by doing this, once ive downloaded a rom through rom manager, I can go into my sd card and put the rom in the root of my sd card,rename it, and flash it using the update.zip method via SPRecovery? If so, is this a safe way of doing things?
    Thanks guys!!
    If you use Rom Manager you will be using Clockwork
  10. Super Moderator
    furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Member #
    78594
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Posts
    10,371
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    #10
    @AtrusNex

    See the thingie under Tallica's name? He's a member of the rescue squad, so he sees the dark side of the Droid world. He puts phones back together from quivering, bloody pieces using nothing but baling twine and duct tape, sending them back into the fray that is the day-to-day use these phones see. If he says ROM Manager has issues, believe him.

    The number of phones having issues with any one app/thing/whatever is small, but when problems happen... HOOO boy! I've tried to put some of those lumps back together after someone had RM issues and, frankly, I'd rather not go that route again.

    @TopDroid

    You got it. Or you could do it the really "hard" way and download/push manually to/from your PC. But, as AtrusNex says, to each their own.

    Also, as he said, backup, backup, backup!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. ROM Manager Clockwork Recovery Problem
    By Shusuke028 in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-12-2010, 08:58 PM
  2. ROM manager/ clockwork recovery help
    By KukiKid in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2010, 07:07 PM
  3. ROM Manager/ Clockwork recovery no workie
    By ecfiffer in forum ChevyNo1
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-26-2010, 06:08 AM
  4. rom manager/clockwork recovery question
    By TruK in forum Rescue Squad Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-28-2010, 01:49 PM
  5. can't get rom manager to reflash clockwork recovery
    By dakoop in forum Android Roms
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2010, 10:20 PM

Search tags for this page

backup rom without clockwork
,
can i use rom manager to root nc
,
clockwork recovery without root
,

how to use rom manager

,
how to use rom manger
,
install clockwork recovery via rom manager
,
rom manager manual flash override
,
rom manager without root
,
rom without clockwork
,
use rom manager without rooted
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Find us on Google+