DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: about wirless tethering for root users

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid

about wirless tethering for root users

i just downloaded wirless tethering for root users and on the the main page where i downloaded it, it said i needed a root and a netfilter- enabled kernel. can someone explain to me what these two things are and where or how i can get them. thanks

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Root means you must root your phone and gain superuser permissions, there are many threads on this site about how to root your phone. Once rooted you will need to install a custom kernel like the ones from ChevyNo1, Bekit, P3Droid, etc. then you can use wireless tether for root users.
    Project Elite v6.5 Link2SD for apps on sdext and Super Freaking Charged thanks to ZepplinRox!
    Thanks to all the devs out there keeping the OG Droid running strong!
    Join Dropbox for all your file storage and sharing needs, join from this link to give me more space
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by doridguy73 View Post
    i just downloaded wirless tethering for root users and on the the main page where i downloaded it, it said i needed a root and a netfilter- enabled kernel. can someone explain to me what these two things are and where or how i can get them. thanks
    Rooting is the process that autherizes you to have complete control of your phone. It is the equivalent of having admisinistrator privleges on a PC. The easiest way to root is to use a one button wonder like Easy Root. YOu can search for it in the market...an app will install that checks your system to see if it will work and then directs you to the developer's e-commerce site to purchase the actual app. Once installed you open that app, click a button, and BAMM...you have root access installed on your phone.

Once you are rooted then you can use the new Recovery Console that Easy Root installed to install other custom roms of kernels. For WiFi to work you need a kernel that supports wireless tethering. I know P3's kernel all support WiFi Tether. I'm pretty sure Chevy's kernels do too. There are more. Just poke around their sites to find one and try it. If it does not work, try a different one. Some phones will work fine with any kernel while others are pickey.

These kernels also may allow Over-Clocking so you will see various versions based on clock speeds and slots. Start with conservative if you want to overclock. 600 to 800 seems to work for most people. Anything over 800 in my opinion is just showing off.

Nate
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    455 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Premium Member
    read this than this

and welcome to the forums
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Razr maxx

Links