I posted this in the Droid Eris section, but I'd like to post it here for added help...
As requested when beginning a post, here are my phone specs:
HTC Droid Eris
Official OTA 2.1 OS
Rooted with Jcase's 1-Click Root App (found on XDA)
SetCPU OC'd to 528 (If that's really considered OC'd)
Now, to my points.
First, I DL'd Overclock Widget. No matter what I set it to, it reverted back to 256 whenever it felt like it. I uninstalled it and found SetCPU - the almost consensus favorite of the forums. I set it to 528 (the max it would allow) when the phone is in use, and set it to 245 when the phone is charging, sleeping, gets too hot, and so on.
From what I've gathered, the "On Demand" and "Performance" settings differ in that "On Demand" toggles between the max and one step below while "Performance" pegs it to the max.
I do like this app, but I'd like to push my phone beyond it's stock limitations. From what I've read, my current OS won't allow any clock speed beyond 528 and that I need a custom rom that will allow me to do so.
- Is this accurate?
This leads me into my next point.
- Do I need to upgrade to 2.2 to push this further, or is there a 2.1 rom that will do the trick?
- I want to push my clock speed as far as possible. First, how far is possible (while still being stable)? I've seen some say that 768 is it. Although, I have seen a youtube video of one OC'd to 845.
I've read alot regarding this and have found mixed reviews. Some say that 2.2 is amazing, while some say that 2.2 is too much for the Eris. I know this is purely opinion, and it's hard to expect a subjective answer, but which is it?
In another direction, the root I used stated that it was only for 2.1.
- Will 2.2 work on the Eris? If so, can you point me in the direction of some roms that would work?
- Is it too much for the Eris?
- If I flash a 2.2 rom (or use another 2.1 -if it is possible to load an OS that is that similar to the one I have), will I lose root? If so, is rooting an OS-specific process?
- And if so, can you point me in the direction of some rooting files that work with 2.2?
Months ago, I DL'd Launcher Pro for a home screen app. I liked it, but it was a memory hog so I uninstalled it. Now, I'm left with the option of HTC Sense and Home as my two home screens. Each time I tap the Home button, it gives me the option of choosing either and setting one as the permanent one.
Like I've said, I've read through the forums for some time (and Googled these questions) but haven't found what I've needed. Any help is appreciated.
- If I select one as the permanent, how can I ever revert back to the other one?
- HTC Sense, since rooting, has begun to creep in speed and has forced close several times. Is this a problem with anyone else? Can I remove it?
- If I select to use HTC Sense, or Home, will the other one stop running in the background?