DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: So You've Rooted. Now What? (Or, a N00b's Guide to Post Root.)

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Bionic & Droid
    My question is a bit simpler. I installed RomManager/Clockwork and ran a backup. I just want to be 100% sure it is a Nandroid since I did not see any option for that.

Once I am sure, I am going to give the P3 low voltage 250 mhz 1000 kernel a try. I don't want anything extreme, just a bit quicker on FRG01B.
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I guess I'll start with problem #1 of several.

FYI... I manually installed 2.2 last week with no problems. Then I installed EasyRoot with no problems. I also installed all the recommended programs like; Rom Manager, Busy Box etc.... And I DID make a nandroid backup.

I get an error with Busy Box. Tells me something about Nand Unlocked. I have no idea how to do this. How can I fix this? I then tried downloading Superuser whitelist. It downloaded, but the installation was unsuccessful.

I decided to go ahead an try to install my first ROM (bugless beast .4) I thought perhaps I don't need busy box functioning at this moment. I downloaded the BB.zip file and loaded it onto my sdcard. I then used the Rom Manager. I also downloaded the file via the Rom manager. I chose to install ROM from sdcard. I found the zip file. and chose to backup existing Rom. It then tells me to Reboot and Install. This is were I get lost. If I reboot I get the yellow exclamation point. Last night I would go into recovery where I"m given my 4 usual options. Reboot, Install update.zip, and 2 others I can't remember at the moment. BUT this morning, it won't even reboot.

Please help! Things were going so smoothly that it got my confidence up and decided to install a rom, and now it's all going to hell. I'm scared.
    Okay, I'd recommend doublechecking Easy Root to make sure I was still rooted and something hadn't happened. Next up I'd go back to ROM Manager go down to the bottom and select where it says to flash the alternate recovery image, go back to top and flash ClockworkMOD Recovery again. Now do that one more time and you should have ClockworkMOD Recovery working.

Once you have ClockworkMOD Recovery working again, you should be able to install Bugless Beast as per the normal instructions, and everything (including BusyBox) should install fine.
  3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doctordoctor View Post
    Greg has a great question I would like to hear the answer. My problem or step I am stuck at is how do I download Clockwork or sprecovery??? I am in rom manager and it doesn't tell me what to do and I try loading either one by clicking on the options it gives me either"flash alternate recovery" sprecovery 0.99.3b or at the top " flash clockworld recovery" which states underneath it that I must first have it installed. How do I install either one??? I thopught ROM manager would do it per your directions???
    I then want to do a nandroid but how do I get to that point???

My end goal is to get 928 black on my phone!!!!
    Press the button at the very top and if it tells you it won't install, try the SPRecovery link at the bottom. If that works, you could try to flash ClockworkMOD Recovery over it or leave well enough alone. I personally prefer SPRecovery, but that's the one I've used since I rooted my phone anyway.

If you leave SPRecovery on, just follow my instructions in the Theme post to flash Black Glass in. Then you can ditch ROM Manager if you want. I've heard it has had some major issues for some users, so it's up to you. Just remember to boot into recovery occasionally and make a nandroid backup.
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thehirsches View Post
    My question is a bit simpler. I installed RomManager/Clockwork and ran a backup. I just want to be 100% sure it is a Nandroid since I did not see any option for that.

Once I am sure, I am going to give the P3 low voltage 250 mhz 1000 kernel a try. I don't want anything extreme, just a bit quicker on FRG01B.
    It's the same. I think they call it a Clockwork Backup or something, but it's the same deal. It's not interchangeable with a Nandroid Backup from SPRecovery, but it'll do the same thing within ClockworkMOD Recovery. I say Nandroid because that's what I'm used to seeing and for the most part the word is interchangeable with Nandroid Backup and a Clockwork Recovery.

That's a good choice for a kernel. A LOT of phones run really well on it. Just keep an eye on your battery life and if you don't like it, try one of Chevy's ULV kernels instead. Experimentation is part of the fun.

Sorry for the delay, guys. I got some work today, so I was working.
    Last edited by furbearingmammal; 08-10-2010 at 04:31 PM.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    droid
    I got it on but the wrong version so I had to nandroid restore and download the very stock one... Bummer because I loved it while it worked! How do you install ROM's then if you don't use the rom manager? Do you just download it like I did the 928 files and put them on my sd card as update.zip files etc???

1 last question sometimes I would reboot but it would not put me into SPrecovery or clock... just the standard one??? any thoughts? Serioulsy your help is really realy appreciated. you will be blessed for it
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    I got it on but the wrong version so I had to nandroid restore and download the very stock one... Bummer because I loved it while it worked! How do you install ROM's then if you don't use the rom manager? Do you just download it like I did the 928 files and put them on my sd card as update.zip files etc???

1 last question sometimes I would reboot but it would not put me into SPrecovery or clock... just the standard one??? any thoughts? Serioulsy your help is really realy appreciated. you will be blessed for it
    If I were you I'd ditch ROM Manager after I flashed SPRecovery one more time. It seems to be giving you issues.

If you're using SPRecovery then yes, it's the same method as installing any update.zip-formatted theme/ROM/kernel/update.

Once you have the ROM you want, then you can put the theme back on. It's effing awesome, isn't it? I'm looking forward to the final release of CM 6 so I can put it back on.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    droid
    thanks for the tips!!! I will try that next then... so if I understand I should flash to SPRecovery then uninstall rom manager. I have been downloading a bunch of ROms from the premium site. I am assuming they are on my sd card. Can you PM me with a sure contact info in case I got hosed somewhere... yes I have the gitters like watching the patient bleed out in front of you when you are trying to stop it!
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    thanks for the tips!!! I will try that next then... so if I understand I should flash to SPRecovery then uninstall rom manager. I have been downloading a bunch of ROms from the premium site. I am assuming they are on my sd card. Can you PM me with a sure contact info in case I got hosed somewhere... yes I have the gitters like watching the patient bleed out in front of you when you are trying to stop it!
    If you've pulled down the premium ROMs I'd keep ROM Manager around since it'd be a bit of work to get them all back. However, I'd put SPRecovery as your recovery image and install ROMs via the update.zip method.

And make a nandroid backup asap with SPRecovery just to be safe.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    droid
    so to make SPRECOVERY my recovery image I do that by clicking on it right in rom Manager? Do you know where the ROMs I downloaded are stored? I think Rom manager is screwing up my phone so I would like to rid myself of it. I know lame questions...
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    droid
    dumb question do I have to have bluetooth opn to be rooted? why does it turn on each time I go back to being rooted?
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Links