DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: So You've Rooted. Now What? (Or, a N00b's Guide to Post Root.)

1. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    That sounds like a kernel issue. Are you wiping between ROM swaps? If not, try that, or make sure it's at least twice/three times for each cache and system data. If you are already doing that, try installing a new kernel. To do that, enable USB mass storage in recovery and then copy a kernel to the SD card. Install it the same way you did the ROM and then try to reboot again.

I'd recommend the following kernel.

http://www.p3designs.info/kernels/250-600-v32kernel.zip

If that works, you're good and should try a more aggressive kernel (so Flash can play because Flash requires an 800MHz processor speed and that one I linked to tops out at 600), but make sure it's standard/medium voltage.

If that doesn't work either I'll try to help more (and offer more detailed instructions if you can't figure out what I'm talking about above). Good luck!
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Fur, I got it figured out..running Cyanogen 6.0 now with a slayher kernel..battery is dying pretty rapidly..about 50% in three hours barely any use..I am going to try a P3 kernel from rom manager..to see how that works!

Quadrant standard is mid 1400s to high 1400s now, where bugless beast was 1300s consistently..
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    oh yeah, do I need to wipe cache/data between kernels? or can I go on on top of the other?
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HarleyDad09 View Post
    Fur, I got it figured out..running Cyanogen 6.0 now with a slayher kernel..battery is dying pretty rapidly..about 50% in three hours barely any use..I am going to try a P3 kernel from rom manager..to see how that works!

Quadrant standard is mid 1400s to high 1400s now, where bugless beast was 1300s consistently..
    That's not good. A power cycle night not be a bad idea, but make absolutely sure you're not running at performance, every profile you have set up has the slider set at 125/250 for the minimum speed, and that your screen off profile is 125/250 - 400 or the nearest level. You really don't need any more speed than that for the screen off profile. Oh, and WiFi tethering sucks battery power like a shop vac. Never use it without having your phone plugged into some power source if you can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by HarleyDad09 View Post
    oh yeah, do I need to wipe cache/data between kernels? or can I go on on top of the other?
    You don't need to wipe between kernels, but always make a backup before you start swapping kernels so if you can't boot with one or have some other kind of problem with it you can just restore instead of trying to load and flash another kernel.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    What is a power cycle exactly? Thanks for the input on the profiles..I have my minimum set at 900!
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    That's WAY too high! That'll be why you're eating so much battery!

I bet your Droid is pretty warm on the back, too. Are you using Temp Monitor? You should be. There's a free version in the market that polls the battery ever 15 seconds and runs a notifier in the status bar. If you open the app it'll show you the CPU temp, too.

A power cycle is unneeded at this point, I would warrant. If you ever need to do it then you just let your phone run down till it powers off, then you put it on your wall charger for an hour and leave it undisturbed. It's not for the battery, though. Li-Ion batteries don't need to be cycled. The phones, sometimes, do. The phone is very smart, but sometimes it gets confused and has to relearn the charge states. Generally speaking you don't need to do it very often. Some people NEVER need to do it.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Yeah, I have SetCPU widget with the temp..it hasnt really been above 96...i check it regularly!
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    How often is the widget polling the temp on your phone? It's scary how fast the temp can spike under load/high speeds, and I noticed that there were times on my phone that the widget wasn't reporting properly because the built-in task killer had killed the widget task...

Of course, I'm paranoid about my temps because I don't have insurance on mine and no way to replace it if it breaks...
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    lol, yeah! I would be too..does the app u were telling me about do a real time temp monitor? The battery widget I have has a temp gage too, but who knows how accurate it is..im going to DL the app u told me about..i really appreciate all ur help man! Its people like you that make people like me have baddass phones!
  10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Happy to help.

It does, but the free version only shows it if you load it up... But you have space on your home screen for a shortcut during the testing phase, right? RIGHT?!

The paid version (I think it's $2) does real time monitoring and notifications.
Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Links