DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: So You've Rooted. Now What? (Or, a N00b's Guide to Post Root.)

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Thanks, I will try these out. I was wondering what I should do about the priority as well, so thanks for that as well!
    You will be recommended and have helped more than you know!
    Taylor
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid
    i figured the more i read up on all this stuff the more i'd "know"

so to root ,,,i have to flash recovery? ....should that always be the first step?

i plan on rooting today on a moto droid 2.2 straight out of the box when it gets here.

can i just easy root, pick a rom- then get busy box and that be the end of it?

with just doing that alone allow me to "overclock?" i'm cornfused....

or do i need to do it step by step as mentioned from the first post, flash recovery etc,etc something about a kernel, etc, etc...then you had easy root as the last topic..

was that the order you suggest to do it in? or................?

LOST over here and dont want to mess up...

please tell me i can just easy root first, get busybox..
    then find an app that will get me a better kernel....

i'm afraid of the theme's that is what messed up my original phone to begin with. are there themes available for download that are really nice that are just downloadable and click to install bing bang boom thats it?

sorry for so dang many questions!
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    I've been rooted for a while and flashing custom roms and all of that. My biggest question is about back-ups. I know you said you were going to make a later post about this so I just wanted to get my question in.

I have Titanium Backup and I use it to back-up my apps and data. I wipe, install a new rom, re-setup the phone, and wait for all the apps to automatically re-install. Then I go into TB and restore data for apps that need it, like twitter, browser, etc to get my own user data back. I restore the data from LauncherPro. I remove all the "problem loading widget" widgets and replace them with the widgets that were there before. Every time I go through this process I think to myself, there has to be something I'm missing. I know there are people out there installing new roms almost every day, and they wouldn't be doing it if there were this many steps just to get the phone back to normal afterward.

Basically my question is whether there is some sort of quick restore in TB that I'm just missing? For restoring your homescreens and user data specifically, I think I'm doing things way more labor intensive than necessary and I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dolfanpete View Post
    i figured the more i read up on all this stuff the more i'd "know"

so to root ,,,i have to flash recovery? ....should that always be the first step?

i plan on rooting today on a moto droid 2.2 straight out of the box when it gets here.

can i just easy root, pick a rom- then get busy box and that be the end of it?

with just doing that alone allow me to "overclock?" i'm cornfused....

or do i need to do it step by step as mentioned from the first post, flash recovery etc,etc something about a kernel, etc, etc...then you had easy root as the last topic..

was that the order you suggest to do it in? or................?

LOST over here and dont want to mess up...

please tell me i can just easy root first, get busybox..
    then find an app that will get me a better kernel....

i'm afraid of the theme's that is what messed up my original phone to begin with. are there themes available for download that are really nice that are just downloadable and click to install bing bang boom thats it?

sorry for so dang many questions!
    My apologies, I never got notice of the new post until today when I looked at the one following it.

Do you still need help or did you get it all done? If so, I'll be more than happy to help.
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by senordeuce View Post
    I have Titanium Backup... I know there are people out there installing new roms almost every day, and they wouldn't be doing it if there were this many steps just to get the phone back to normal afterward.

Basically my question is whether there is some sort of quick restore in TB that I'm just missing? For restoring your homescreens and user data specifically, I think I'm doing things way more labor intensive than necessary and I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I haven't had the time or the good health to get Ti Backup and work with it yet, so I can't say for sure on an easier way to work with it for you. I toss 90% of my data to the wind if and when I have to jump ROMs, but I find the one I'm running now to be so good I don't need anything else. I have to ask, though, are you running the free version or the paid app? The paid app might have a "restore all" button or something if you're running the free. Speaking of which, that's another reason I haven't used it yet. I can't afford to pay my cell bill and eat now, and I'm running the 450minute, 250 text, unlimited data package, all on a 19% state employee discount because of my mother. I'll try to get on that when I can, however. Money became a lot tighter than expected this month.

Most of the ROM jumpers are either running lean systems (few apps) or are tinkering so often they don't mind setting things back up the way they had them. Setting my phone back up after a wipe was always the worst part of the whole experience; it stopped me from being a ROM jumper.

So why are you jumping ship so often?

Also, if you don't like a ROM, rather than reinstalling your ROM, why not just restore a Nandroid and go back to the last one you had all set up just the way you liked it? I always did that. Saved me a lot of grief when the last 2.1-based Bugless Beast version was released and I tried to install it. Drove me up the wall in under 5 minutes so I dumped it. Yay! I was rocking my old ROM in less than 10 minutes from the first update.zip install.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    A855 Moto Droid 1

Awesome OP Post

Furbearing, Thanks for your instructions and your time helping us all out.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OGDroid -> Droid 3-> Bionic

Nandroid backups

Thank you Furbearing.. for all of your contributions in this forum. I have learned sooooooo much from you and Motocache1 in the last several weeks. Thanks you both of you and others, I am rooted and currently enjoying Sapphire 1.0. Now to my question that I have not been able to find an answer to - no matter how much I have searched.

Nandroid backups are always mentioned as a necessity (my words) and I had to rely on one when I first flashed Sapphire. The main reason I wanted Root was for the ability to do Nandroid Backups. My question is what is the difference between "Simple" and "advanced" besides being able to add a prefix to the backup name and having various options of what to backup? It seems to me that a person would want to backup everything and somewhere I read that the "simple" backup doesn't do that. I'm also confused as to why there are 2 categories already selected in the "advanced" rather than all or none of them.
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    I believe simple backs everything up -- or at least the important stuff. Ergo "simple". Advanced backs up what you want it to, but most of those options are only really important for developers who want to try something that they had set up before, just to make sure it's still working, or to fix something that broke. Ergo "advanced".

Stick with simple unless you're writing apps or building a ROM and you'll be fine. Besides, advanced would take up more SD card space and the simple backups already take up hundreds of megs.

Check it out.

I don't know why they only have those two under advanced, and I apologize for my lack of knowledge in this category. I'd wager it's because those are the truly important ones for a non-dev/power user. Power users might have messed something up using terminal and HAVE to go back.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid
    hey mr.furbearingmammal did u ever make a thread or post on how to flash roms using rsd lite ? if not can u point me in the rite place
  10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    You don't use RSD Lite to flash ROMs, you use a custom recovery image. If you need one you'll have to go to MotoCache1's thread in the Labs to get one.

Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

Once you have it installed you can use the information in the OP to flash the ROM of your choice.

I need to update the OP a bit. I'll get on it soon. Just have had a lot going on.

If you need more help, let me know.
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Links