DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Another NOOB! (I know, it's sad...)

  1. Junior Droid
    Titus Black's Avatar
    Member #
    70389
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #1

    Another NOOB! (I know, it's sad...)

    Okay I'm tired of being led like a dog on a leash waiting for Froyo to OTA for the Droid 1 ! I want to Root my phone so I can get this! But I have several questions and I'm having trouble finding the answers in any one place or through searching for them...

    1. I am running 2.1 ESE81 and I keep seeing that I need to downgrade to 2.0, is this still true?

    2. I keep seeing this Root Manager app all over the place being mentioned, where is it, how do I use it, and should I use it?

    3. I've recently purchased a theme for my phone (wasn't cheap but I really wanted it and it's a great theme either way!) and I don't want to loose it! If I root my phone, will I loose this theme or any of my other apps on my phone? I have a lot of torrented apps on there too and I really don't want to go through the hassle of downloading them again.

    4. I see postings of an "instructional video" about rooting my phone on this and several other forums, where is this video and is it useful?

    5. I understand the risks of this procedure and I'm aware that nobody but myself is to blame if this fails, but IF I do screw this up, is there a way to recover?

    I'm fairly proficient with computers, having hacked my way through school (DOS) and earlier versions of Windows (up to XP), but when it comes to something that I can't just bulk format a hard drive, I get cautious. So any help would be great! Thanks!
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Administrator
    cereal killer's Avatar
    Member #
    88
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    11,043
    Liked
    1559 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    #2
    Hiya Titus....

    I moved your thread to the appropriate area. You'll get some good help here.

    Good luck!
  4. Junior Droid
    Titus Black's Avatar
    Member #
    70389
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #3

    Thanks

    Thanks Cereal, I wasn't sure where it needed to be, but I figured somebody would make sure it was answered or at least moved to the right spot!
  5. XOOM RS Team Lead
    fish1552's Avatar
    Member #
    47771
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Savannah area of Coastal Georgia, USA
    Posts
    652
    Liked
    36 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Phone
    MOTO X + Nexus 7
    Premium Member
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus Black View Post
    Okay I'm tired of being led like a dog on a leash waiting for Froyo to OTA for the Droid 1 ! I want to Root my phone so I can get this! But I have several questions and I'm having trouble finding the answers in any one place or through searching for them...

    3. I've recently purchased a theme for my phone (wasn't cheap but I really wanted it and it's a great theme either way!) and I don't want to loose it! If I root my phone, will I loose this theme or any of my other apps on my phone? I have a lot of torrented apps on there too and I really don't want to go through the hassle of downloading them again.

    4. I see postings of an "instructional video" about rooting my phone on this and several other forums, where is this video and is it useful?

    5. I understand the risks of this procedure and I'm aware that nobody but myself is to blame if this fails, but IF I do screw this up, is there a way to recover?

    I'm fairly proficient with computers, having hacked my way through school (DOS) and earlier versions of Windows (up to XP), but when it comes to something that I can't just bulk format a hard drive, I get cautious. So any help would be great! Thanks!
    If you are good with installing Windows rooting using the manual method is easy. I used this video from Droid Life to root mine.
    How to: Root Android 2.1 and Install Android 2.2 on Motorola DROID | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

    If you've downloaded the files for the theme, you should be able to save it over to your computer by USB (you might need to do it right after you get the USB drivers from Motorola if you can't do it now). But the files might even be saved on your SD card and not affected anyway. Anyone else confirm that is where themes are saved when unrooted? I know mine are saved in the download folder on mine.

    As far as recovery, download all the files on that link above and you should be set in the event something goes wrong. A hard reset will fix things by doing a factory restore (sort of like booting into safe mode in Windows).

    Rooting is much easier than you might expect. I was nervous at first, but surprised how easy it was when done. I wish I had done it earlier rather than waiting a month.

    Also, as long as you sync with Google before rooting, everything should be saved there so you can get all your paid apps back. I haven't had a problem getting any myself, just delayed once. Had to wait 24 hours for the Market to refresh itself when 2.2 was new, but I got everything back.

    Good Luck!
    Last edited by fish1552; 08-06-2010 at 10:11 PM.



  6. Droid
    jesdroid's Avatar
    Member #
    86944
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    39
    Phone
    motorolla droid/verizon
    #5
    quick question - with each flash, I've been reinstalling each app - is there an easier way? I have a ton of them downloaded!
  7. Senior Droid
    amajamar's Avatar
    Member #
    13803
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    172
    Phone
    Droid1
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jesdroid View Post
    quick question - with each flash, I've been reinstalling each app - is there an easier way? I have a ton of them downloaded!
    If you flash a 2.2 ROM then your apps will reinstall themselves. I had the same concern, I was hesitant to flash 2.2 because I didn't want to wipe and go through the app setup process again. When I flashed a 2.2 ROM (BBv0.4) I was up and running with all my apps in about 30 minutes. One suggestion, get a good solid 3G signal with good download speed, and everything will come back lickety-split!
  8. Droid
    jesdroid's Avatar
    Member #
    86944
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    39
    Phone
    motorolla droid/verizon
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by amajamar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jesdroid View Post
    quick question - with each flash, I've been reinstalling each app - is there an easier way? I have a ton of them downloaded!
    If you flash a 2.2 ROM then your apps will reinstall themselves. I had the same concern, I was hesitant to flash 2.2 because I didn't want to wipe and go through the app setup process again. When I flashed a 2.2 ROM (BBv0.4) I was up and running with all my apps in about 30 minutes. One suggestion, get a good solid 3G signal with good download speed, and everything will come back lickety-split!
    Wow, that's great! I've downloaded those apps so many times that I know almost all of them by memory! Thanks for your help!
  9. Senior Droid
    amajamar's Avatar
    Member #
    13803
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    172
    Phone
    Droid1
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jesdroid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by amajamar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jesdroid View Post
    quick question - with each flash, I've been reinstalling each app - is there an easier way? I have a ton of them downloaded!
    If you flash a 2.2 ROM then your apps will reinstall themselves. I had the same concern, I was hesitant to flash 2.2 because I didn't want to wipe and go through the app setup process again. When I flashed a 2.2 ROM (BBv0.4) I was up and running with all my apps in about 30 minutes. One suggestion, get a good solid 3G signal with good download speed, and everything will come back lickety-split!
    Wow, that's great! I've downloaded those apps so many times that I know almost all of them by memory! Thanks for your help!
    My pleasure! I'm new to rooting and romming myself, glad to be able to contribute something to help. Let me know how you make out!
  10. XOOM RS Team Lead
    fish1552's Avatar
    Member #
    47771
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Savannah area of Coastal Georgia, USA
    Posts
    652
    Liked
    36 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Phone
    MOTO X + Nexus 7
    Premium Member
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by jesdroid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by amajamar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jesdroid View Post
    quick question - with each flash, I've been reinstalling each app - is there an easier way? I have a ton of them downloaded!
    If you flash a 2.2 ROM then your apps will reinstall themselves. I had the same concern, I was hesitant to flash 2.2 because I didn't want to wipe and go through the app setup process again. When I flashed a 2.2 ROM (BBv0.4) I was up and running with all my apps in about 30 minutes. One suggestion, get a good solid 3G signal with good download speed, and everything will come back lickety-split!
    Wow, that's great! I've downloaded those apps so many times that I know almost all of them by memory! Thanks for your help!
    Also, ChevyNo1 included a custom script in his ROM SimplyStunning 4.6 that will do a complete apps & data backup/restore and have your home screen and settings all restored after wards. I think if you find the thread here in the forums, you can get the script and you should be able to run it no matter what ROM you have. (But don't quote me on that)



  11. Junior Droid
    Titus Black's Avatar
    Member #
    70389
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #10

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by fish1552 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus Black View Post
    Okay I'm tired of being led like a dog on a leash waiting for Froyo to OTA for the Droid 1 ! I want to Root my phone so I can get this! But I have several questions and I'm having trouble finding the answers in any one place or through searching for them...

    3. I've recently purchased a theme for my phone (wasn't cheap but I really wanted it and it's a great theme either way!) and I don't want to loose it! If I root my phone, will I loose this theme or any of my other apps on my phone? I have a lot of torrented apps on there too and I really don't want to go through the hassle of downloading them again.

    4. I see postings of an "instructional video" about rooting my phone on this and several other forums, where is this video and is it useful?

    5. I understand the risks of this procedure and I'm aware that nobody but myself is to blame if this fails, but IF I do screw this up, is there a way to recover?

    I'm fairly proficient with computers, having hacked my way through school (DOS) and earlier versions of Windows (up to XP), but when it comes to something that I can't just bulk format a hard drive, I get cautious. So any help would be great! Thanks!
    If you are good with installing Windows rooting using the manual method is easy. I used this video from Droid Life to root mine.
    How to: Root Android 2.1 and Install Android 2.2 on Motorola DROID | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

    If you've downloaded the files for the theme, you should be able to save it over to your computer by USB (you might need to do it right after you get the USB drivers from Motorola if you can't do it now). But the files might even be saved on your SD card and not affected anyway. Anyone else confirm that is where themes are saved when unrooted? I know mine are saved in the download folder on mine.

    As far as recovery, download all the files on that link above and you should be set in the event something goes wrong. A hard reset will fix things by doing a factory restore (sort of like booting into safe mode in Windows).

    Rooting is much easier than you might expect. I was nervous at first, but surprised how easy it was when done. I wish I had done it earlier rather than waiting a month.

    Also, as long as you sync with Google before rooting, everything should be saved there so you can get all your paid apps back. I haven't had a problem getting any myself, just delayed once. Had to wait 24 hours for the Market to refresh itself when 2.2 was new, but I got everything back.

    Good Luck!
    Thanks for the help guys! I rooted my phone to the FRG22 build, but then discovered it was extremely buggy! So I flashed back to stock using a post on here from "Sam" (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hac...t-ikithme.html) and now I have another problem... I want to bring my phone back to 2.1 stock, but I can't do a FOTA. I've been going into Menu -> Settings -> About Phone -> System Updates, but I keep getting "Your system is currently up to date." message. My phone says I am running Firmware Ver 2.0 Build ESD20. Before I rooted my phone I was running at 2.1 and now most of my apps are very buggy .... So what I'm trying to say is : HELP ME!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Noob in need of help
    By BigZig in forum Bugless
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-27-2010, 10:43 PM
  2. Noob
    By dogdays in forum New Member Introductions & Site Assistance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2010, 03:16 PM
  3. another noob
    By njmedic1485 in forum New Member Introductions & Site Assistance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-09-2010, 11:38 PM
  4. Noob!
    By MrSpeed3 in forum New Member Introductions & Site Assistance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-23-2010, 10:20 PM
  5. Noob here!
    By daddyg70 in forum New Member Introductions & Site Assistance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 09:55 AM

Tags for this Thread

Find us on Google+