DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: backup questions

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus

backup questions

i've done a nandroid backup thru SPR and also with titanium and have a few questions
    -is it overkill to do both
    -after loading my 'update.zip' for a newer version of sapphire, i did a restore thinking it would bring back all my apps but it also took me back to the older version of sapphire and undid my update. how do you do a restore without affecting the new update
    -do i have to do a cache wipe before loading a new theme or kernal or whatever or is that only necessary when loading a new rom. i want to try out watermark'd and black ice
    -simple backup thru SPR goes very smooth but when trying to do an advanced backup, i cant get past the request for a prefix. im not sure what they want
    thanks
    Last edited by papatar; 08-06-2010 at 07:07 PM.

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by papatar View Post
    i've done a nandroid backup thru SPR and also with titanium and have a few questions
    -is it overkill to do both
    -after loading my 'update.zip' for a newer version of sapphire, i did a restore thinking it would bring back all my apps but it also took me back to the older version of sapphire and undid my update. how do you do a restore without affecting the new update
    -do i have to do a cache wipe before loading a new theme or kernal or whatever or is that only necessary when loading a new rom. i want to try out watermark'd and black ice
    -simple backup thru SPR goes very smooth but when trying to do an advanced backup, i cant get past the request for a prefix. im not sure what they want
    thanks
    -Definitely not overkill, it never hurts to have backups of backups. (unless you're running low on SD space)
    -Use TI to restore "Apps and app data"
    -It isn't necessary to wipe cache before flashing a theme
    I need a girl who's name doesn't end in ".JPG"

OG Moto Droid (Dead) > Galaxy S2 (Retired) > Galaxy Nexus (Retired) > Galaxy S4 (Current)
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    thanks for the quick response. i just tried to flash watermark'd thru SPR. some of the icons have changed but i can't find any evidence that i'm actually using watermark'd. maybe i need to try the process again
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Did you check in the about phone settings? Go home, press menu > settings > about phone

OG Moto Droid (Dead) > Galaxy S2 (Retired) > Galaxy Nexus (Retired) > Galaxy S4 (Current)
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    no, i didn't think of that but i did just look and see nothing about which theme i might have
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Well, did your phone theme like it was supposed to? If not, try it out with black ice.

8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    no, its like i only got part of it. i'm going to try it again and do black ice. thanks again for your help
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    If that doesn't work, go ahead and try wiping your cache. It won't hurt.. You definitely do not need to wipe data, which is really what the majority of important stuff is contained in.

10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    i really didn;t want to wipe data if i didn't need to. i want to try out several things but don;t want to go thru all the hassle each time until i learn to use titanium to restore.
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Data isn't really needed unless you're going from one version (2.1) to another (2.2) and so on. Its a good idea, and sometimes needed, to wipe data when going between roms of the same version, but not always required...
    Titanium is a great tool to restore apps, which is really all you'd need to restore when wiping data. Google sync should take care of the rest, such as contacts.. To restore apps with TI, press menu > batch > and run the "restore missing apps with data"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links