DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: mount a ftp server

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid BB0.4/p3droid 1200mhz

mount a ftp server

Does anyone know if I can mount a ftp server as... say /sdcard/mnt/FTPfiles?
    Using ssh is also acceptable. Here is how you would normally do it in linux.
    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/mount-a-re...on-ubuntu.html
    http://www.category5.tv/tips__tricks...ve_via_ssh.php
    Last edited by renter; 08-04-2010 at 12:43 AM.
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    206 times
    Phone
    OG D1/G-Nex
    Sorry for a lazy reply.. but i didnt look at your links...

Just letting you know of a program called Websharing. It is similar to filezilla... i use websharing all the time. Sorry if this has nothing to do with what your asking for, again, Me lazy....
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by renter View Post
    Does anyone know if I can mount a ftp server as... say /sdcard/mnt/FTPfiles?
    Using ssh is also acceptable. Here is how you would normally do it in linux.
    Mount a Remote Folder using SSH on Ubuntu|Ubuntu Geek
    Mount a Linux Drive via SSH (Category5 Technology TV)
    I don't believe any ROMs currently have FUSE (Userspace Filesystem), which is what allows that to work. I feel like I saw FUSE mentioned in a changelog for CyanogenMod, but it could be a different fuse.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  4. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    VZW Moto Droid + N900 ;)
    I always hate it when instead of answering the question, someone says "Why would you want to do that?" Unfortunately I find myself in that position, so please accept my apology, and understand I ask this with all due respect.

Why is it you wish to run an FTP server on a device with a weak processor, slow filesystem, slow network connectivity, etc.? Are there not other solutions [I don't know what the problem is, hence my questions] that would meet your need?

My guess is you want to have files on your /sdcard which you can pull off anywhere there's WiFi and your droid, via FTP.

E
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid
    Very interesting question. It would be great to mount a remote filesystem. Perhaps I will ask cvpcs if this is capable.
  6. Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Phone
    droid
    Premium Member
    I don't have link handy but rintintigger here did a tutorial on running ftp ftom droid.
    Dave MacLeod

7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gavron View Post
    Why is it you wish to run an FTP server on a device with a weak processor, slow filesystem, slow network connectivity, etc.? Are there not other solutions [I don't know what the problem is, hence my questions] that would meet your need?
    I think you misunderstood the question. "Mount an FTP server" doesn't mean to run an ftp server on the droid - it means connecting to a remote ftp server and mounting it like a device, which is a pretty reasonable thing to want to do with a phone. Like a general-purpose version of how the gallery connects to picasa web albums, email, or anything else that is primarily stored "in the cloud", but is accessed as if it were local.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid BB0.4/p3droid 1200mhz
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
    I think you misunderstood the question. "Mount an FTP server" doesn't mean to run an ftp server on the droid - it means connecting to a remote ftp server and mounting it like a device, which is a pretty reasonable thing to want to do with a phone. Like a general-purpose version of how the gallery connects to picasa web albums, email, or anything else that is primarily stored "in the cloud", but is accessed as if it were local.
    He is right. What I pretty much want to do is take C:\awesomefiles on my home computer and mount it as a ftp link to /sdcard/mnt/awesomefiles on my droid.

I dont need an ftp server on the droid. The ftp server would be on my home computer.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I use AndFTP. You can specify remote directory as well as local.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by renter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
    He is right. What I pretty much want to do is take C:\awesomefiles on my home computer and mount it as a ftp link to /sdcard/mnt/awesomefiles on my droid.

I dont need an ftp server on the droid. The ftp server would be on my home computer.
    Check out CyanogenMod 5 - I think it has fuse included. CM6 doesn't, yet, I know that.

EDIT: I just found out that p3droid kernels have the fuse module, at least for Sapphire (cvpcs). Not sure about sshfs or ftpfs executables, though, they might need to be compiled for droid.

http://p3designs.info/sapphire/
    Last edited by Se7enLC; 08-04-2010 at 10:21 AM.
    Cool CM Tricks

Links