DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Should I root with Unrevoked??

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible

Should I root with Unrevoked??

Hey guys I am new to the forum so please bear with me. I am seriously considering using the root, but froyo is coming out thursday I hear... I am not the most technology savvy person, but unrevoked is supposed to be very user friendly... i would appreciate you input guys

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid Froyo
    At this point it is probably better to wait for the OTA to hit.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid
    i am curious why would you wait for the ota are you talking about waiting instead of rooting or ? im a little confused
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Many people waited for or unrooted for 2.1 and in the end the exploit that Devs used to root 2.0.1 was closed and it ended being harder to gain root access on 2.1 for a while after the OTA. Honestly, if you want to root go for it. You will get 2.2 features plus so much more. If you are willing to get your hands dirty the rewards are there but know there are some risks. Read read read. That is all I can say.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    After reading extensively more about rooting I have decided not to root my phone at this moment. Froyo is coming out on Thursday, and if I do not like the new update, the I will root with unrevoked.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler.norton360 View Post
    After reading extensively more about rooting I have decided not to root my phone at this moment. Froyo is coming out on Thursday, and if I do not like the new update, the I will root with unrevoked.
    Not an option. If you wait for the update, you won't be able to root with the unrevoked utility. The utility can only root 2.1 devices. The exploit is closed in 2.2. You have a very narrow window of time where you will be able to easily obtain root access on your device. If root is something you might want in the future, I recommend using that utility to get root, then NOT applying the OTA update. Wait it out until somebody makes a zip available that is the same as the OTA but keeps root access. It'll only take a few hours for that to be made available, if that. In fact, you'll probably be able to get the official 2.2 on your phone before the OTA even gets pushed to you.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    The problem is that o tried using unrevoked to root my incredible earlier this afternoon and the program would recognize my phone and just go unresponsive. Idk I will try again this evening.hopefully with better luck this time

Links