DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rooting without RSDLite again?

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Rooting without RSDLite again?

Droid-Life is generally just an aggregator of news that already broke in the forums, so imagine my surprise that I see this break on droid-life with no mention in any forums:

Root Android 2.1 the Easy Way with New DMUpdater | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Is this a repeat from January? That's my bet. Anybody still holding onto a virgin unrooted 2.1 device want to try this out and see if it's for real?
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  2. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
    Droid-Life is generally just an aggregator of news that already broke in the forums, so imagine my surprise that I see this break on droid-life with no mention in any forums:

Root Android 2.1 the Easy Way with New DMUpdater | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Is this a repeat from January? That's my bet. Anybody still holding onto a virgin unrooted 2.1 device want to try this out and see if it's for real?
    Absolutely not, this is news. Droid-life has good stuff. The old dm updater only worked on 2.0.1. This says it will root the X too.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Absolutely not, this is news. Droid-life has good stuff. The old dm updater only worked on 2.0.1. This says it will root the X too.
    Yeah, I'm a fan of droid-life. Much easier than sifting through pages and pages of posts on a forum when you just want the good headlines. I was surprised to not see a link to a forum posting as a source - usually that's where their news comes from.

Anybody have any information on the exploit? It's gotta be something new, unless somebody reverse-engineered RSDLite...
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    I looked at their site briefly but nothing jumped out at me about a new dm updater.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  5. DF News Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto DROID !!!
    Premium Member

Yeah, I'm a fan of droid-life. Much easier than sifting through pages and pages of posts on a forum when you just want the good headlines.
    check out our news section once in awhile
    GTalk: mabramson1@gmail.com
    twitter: @m_abramson
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    This is new, the new dmupdater app uses the dx root technique(which works on ALL android phones at this time) to root. SOOO, NO MORE RSDLITE NEEDED
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by droidman101 View Post
    SOOO, NO MORE RSDLITE NEEDED
    Until 2.2 comes out, which is any day now. For once, the massive delay by motorola/verizon to release an update is actually welcomed!

I have a back-of-my-mind theory that perhaps the exploit that allowed this was known for some time, but whoever found and exploited it decided to keep it under wraps until a new phone was released first, knowing that any known root exploit would end up being patched before a release. Pretty sneaky idea, if that's true. Also explains why the DX got rooted so fast.
    Last edited by Se7enLC; 07-30-2010 at 01:48 PM.
    Cool CM Tricks
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    SOOO, NO MORE RSDLITE NEEDED
    Until 2.2 comes out, which is any day now. For once, the massive delay by motorola/verizon to release an update is actually welcomed!

I have a back-of-my-mind theory that perhaps the exploit that allowed this was known for some time, but whoever found and exploited it decided to keep it under wraps until a new phone was released first, knowing that any known root exploit would end up being patched before a release. Pretty sneaky idea, if that's true. Also explains why the DX got rooted so fast.
    they arent gonna patch it im sure, and if they dont this will work for froyo too XD
  9. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    This is new, the new dmupdater app uses the dx root technique(which works on ALL android phones at this time) to root. SOOO, NO MORE RSDLITE NEEDED

This will make a few mac owners I know of happy
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    they arent gonna patch it im sure, and if they dont this will work for froyo too XD
    I sure as heck hope they patch it. The first exploit at least required that you apply a hacked update.zip file, so there was some user intervention there. This is a one-touch exploit that looks like it doesn't even require a reboot. How long until "one-touch" becomes "zero-touch" and market apps start collecting their own root access and stealing passwords / emails / SMS?

I'm pretty sure that the apk won't root a 2.2 device. I tested it out myself by tapping "deny" when the app asked for root access and telling it to obtain root access (it errored out). Unsure of whether that means that the app doesn't work on 2.2 or that the exploit doesn't work on 2.2.
    Cool CM Tricks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links