Let's break this down: Needs and wants.
You want a better nicer shiner phone that does more than what you have when you make a change.
What you need is something I can't tell you.
The X is not going to be as customizable as the Droid you have right now, and IMO would be a waste of an upgrade for anyone to make, the same goes for the D2.
Now, waiting is hard ... but if you are going to use an upgrade, you really want to get something out of it, and awaiting the new network and those phones is something that will satisfy both needs and wants.
That said, we have no confirmation of the 2Ghz vaporware phone from moto running LTE just yet, only one announcement, nothing ran by the FCC (which is typically the 1st indicator of a new handset coming out).
I'm not saying it isn't coming, just that we all know how it can go, right now the expectation is by EOY, but that can change.
Either way, if VZW does get the network together, which seems on track, then those phones should be out and we'll see more info come out in the next few months.
I say wait, and use that upgrade wisely.
Just because the X and D2 are out doesn't make your D1 (or mine for that matter) any slower or less capable than it was when we got it.
Lastly, think of it this way: Sure, VZW will happliy take your upgrade $$$$ and lock you in for another 2yrs, but what will YOU be getting BACK for that outlay?
Put that way I can't see a follow up for upgrading the D1 to a D2 or X.
(I haven't even gone to the store to play with an X, because then I'll fall prey to what they hope will happen: emotion, refer to my second sentance of the post).
Don't fall for it. Makle your upgrade pay for you, not them.